Sponsored

JT owners post your MPG

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I agree 18lbs seems pretty high. I’m not saying power windows don’t add weight, all I’m saying is the beefier hardware underneath is more significant weight.
same page, I responded to you but was talking to jeeperjamie. Sorry
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
same page, I responded to you but was talking to jeeperjamie. Sorry
It gets confusing sometimes, especially if posts cross in the ether.........

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I agree 18lbs seems pretty high. I’m not saying power windows don’t add weight, all I’m saying is the beefier hardware underneath is more significant weight.
18 pounds? Holy crap! There's not that much difference in a 1980s Jeep door with power windows vs. manual.

The motors in these JT doors are a lot lighter and there's more plastic.
With this design the regulator is likely the same weight for both manual and power windows. Everything is in the motor and gear box (mostly plastic)
I'd say - no way there's 18 pounds here............

20201223_092757_HDR.jpg
Typo, I meant 8lbs sorry, about 16lbs for the front for both. Can't tell you about the rear doors but probably close to the same so I'm guessing around 30lbs for all 4. That was us weighing one while holding it and then weighing ourselves. I would think a two door jk and jku front door are pretty much the same. It's not a huge difference but it's weight.

I got to stop using the talk to type crap.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Typo, I meant 8lbs sorry, about 16lbs for the front for both. Can't tell you about the rear doors but probably close to the same so I'm guessing around 30lbs for all 4. That was us weighing one while holding it and then weighing ourselves. I would think a two door jk and jku front door are pretty much the same. It's not a huge difference but it's weight.

Just wait until it applies otto correct ore smell chick

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired

When I was working on my last degree, ( years ago) my wife bought me a talk to type program, when I checked a 30 page paper I found her small dog had played with a stuffed toy and every time he barked the program typed ark.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
When I was working on my last degree, ( years ago) my wife bought me a talk to type program, when I checked a 30 page paper I found her small dog had played with a stuffed toy and every time he barked the program typed ark.
My dog ate my homework has morphed to -
My dog contributed to my homework.

I wonder what program would do when my Tonkinese cat, Tuvak, would meow one of his long sentences (I swear that cat can meow a solid 4 second meow without taking a breath)

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
My dog ate my homework has morphed to -
My dog contributed to my homework.

I wonder what program would do when my Tonkinese cat, Tuvak, would meow one of his long sentences (I swear that cat can meow a solid 4 second meow without taking a breath)

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It would be interesting to see that program would do with the cat sounds. Before I retired we had to turn auto correct off on the computers at work it would change correct spellings. We had several people get "counseled" over there paperwork. Ah the joy of working for the government. How I don't miss it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It would be interesting to see that program would do with the cat sounds. Before I retired we had to turn auto correct off on the computers at work it would change correct spellings. We had several people get "counseled" over there paperwork. Ah the joy of working for the government. How I don't miss it.
Yup - retired from State of Iowa, IT network/security admin. Saw the writing on the wall, did my math to find a good exit point, handed the boss my letter.
Back at my true love - CARS. My own shop. No boss (uh, well, actually, she's in the house......)

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I can 100% tell you that power windows and locks add 8lbs of weight to each door or at least the front doors. That was the case on my JKU when compared to a JK that did not have power windows or locks. That's 32lbs of extra weight in just the doors. My JT doors are noticably lighter without the power windows and doors in comparison to my JKU
If you are comparing JK doors to JT doors then the comparison isn't fair. JK had steel doors and JL/JT have aluminum doors. Overall they made the JL about 100 pounds lighter through use of aluminum compared to the JK. So a good chunk of the weight savings you are seeing isn't lack of power windows/door locks but the metal vs steel weight savings.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
If you are comparing JK doors to JT doors then the comparison isn't fair. JK had steel doors and JL/JT have aluminum doors. Overall they made the JL about 100 pounds lighter through use of aluminum compared to the JK. So a good chunk of the weight savings you are seeing isn't lack of power windows/door locks but the metal vs steel weight savings.
I know what your saying but I have also compared the weight on my buddies Overland doors to my sport non power windows and you can tell a difference in the weight. I had no scale to weigh them on but there is a noticable difference. Your correct in saying that the doors are over all lighter because his power window doors were noticably lighter than my JKU doors.

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I know what your saying but I have also compared the weight on my buddies Overland doors to my sport non power windows and you can tell a difference in the weight. I had no scale to weigh them on but there is a noticable difference. Your correct in saying that the doors are over all lighter because his power window doors were noticably lighter than my JKU doors.
Oh yeah. It definitely saves weight. I was just pointing out that your numbers were at least partially due to the difference in door material.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
I have 35x10.50s, 2" lift, MT and my lie o meter runs around 18. When I've done the hand calculations before the bigger tires and speedo correction lie o meter was around 1 mph high.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Correct tire size using the odometer, not the speedometer. Drive a number of miles and compare the odometer to a true GPS and/or GPS app on your phone (but don't connect the phone to the truck)
I found things can be a fair amount off even if you believe the speedometer is ok. Speedometers round things off.

Mine is normally very close to correct since I did the odometer comparison to GPS. Over 3 or 4 tanks, they end up saying the same thing now. Rarely is the truck's cluster MPG reading more than .4 or .5 different than math - and it's been both ways, not just high. More than once my phone app said the mpg was a bit higher than what the truck said it was (of course that's almost always due to differences in the filling of the tank)
Sponsored