Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT Security Researcher
it was a piston ring land failure and dual cat failure. My guess is lambdas. The tune issue is weird. Wonder if someone at magnuson just fucked up?
any luck yet?
Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
it was a piston ring land failure and dual cat failure. My guess is lambdas. The tune issue is weird. Wonder if someone at magnuson just fucked up?
I won't talk much about Magnuson, but I know that cam placement and timing required a fair bit of work on my part and a very intense dyno session. Cams are at positions required for what is usually full load when the engine is only at part load. Timing is similar. Also I am executing the airflow model very differently. I can sends graphs of my AFR. 14.9 at cruise 12.6 at partial accell and dip to 11.6 at wot tip in with a workback to 12.6.

rmnpjunky

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 392
Hey all. This file has a bit more rapid power introduction. And more refinements in idle and shifting. It has what I call a start up gruffle. It may even stall upon first start but then it is good. I logged a trackhawk and it racks the cams and shakes the same way to get to idle rpm quicker without closed loop control. basically exhaust the rotor pressure on start up by leaving the exhaust valves open and then racking back to get compression. lower gears have pretty stiff engagements as I am tuning the transmission conservatively right now to hold the gears and not slip much.
Hi Dave - is this your latest and greatest iteration? I have been trying to deal with Magnuson but their tune keeps my Jeep oscillating between 2500 and 3500rpm - very annoying ! and it chews my tires !

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Dave - is this your latest and greatest iteration? I have been trying to deal with Magnuson but their tune keeps my Jeep oscillating between 2500 and 3500rpm - very annoying ! and it chews my tires !
What are the details on your ride? I have been helping a couple of people. 2021s seem to have had a significant change in the OS. I am working currently to get a solution in place. I have tapped a few resources to understand what the changes are and what is my quickest route to resolution. If you have a 2020 or lower, the manual tune has updated a couple times. I also have different tunes depending on elevation. It really has been an eye opening experience, to see how finiky this software really is

Sponsored

crashnburn80

First Name
Crash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Supercharged Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Vehicle Design Engineer
You are better off than I am, I don't have a PC. I only own MACs, this will force me to get my mechanic to pull data if I need to share it.

I even talked to the HP Tuners engineers at Jeep Beachand they swear that the difference in the operating systems, they can't make their tuning software work on a MAC.

Does it require much CPU and memory? I have small laptop that I had bought for my daughter for school, but it couldn't support her software needs this year. I am wondering if it might be capable enough to run the HP Scan.

Hopefully, I don't need to share much. Still 1 month till I can get the install done so I have time to figure it out. I am also hoping I don't need to tweak much. I will plug whatever Dave's latest tune for MT is at that time and see what I get.
I flashed my ECU using my MacBook Pro. Download Parallels for Mac and run the HP Tuners software on a Windows VM. 100% free with the trial, couldn't be easier. No windows hardware needed.

Last edited:

rmnpjunky

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 392
What are the details on your ride? I have been helping a couple of people. 2021s seem to have had a significant change in the OS. I am working currently to get a solution in place. I have tapped a few resources to understand what the changes are and what is my quickest route to resolution. If you have a 2020 or lower, the manual tune has updated a couple times. I also have different tunes depending on elevation. It really has been an eye opening experience, to see how finiky this software really is
HI Dave
I live at 7000ft of elevation and most of my driving is between 5500 and 10000 ft. I run 37s currently on 4.10 (might move to 5.13 shortly...).
I uploaded the file you sent me and it works much better than the Magnuson supplied tune but I still have some oscillations/hiccups around 2,250 - 2,500 rpm.
it is a process...

rmnpjunky

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 392
HI Dave
I live at 7000ft of elevation and most of my driving is between 5500 and 10000 ft. I run 37s currently on 4.10 (might move to 5.13 shortly...).
I uploaded the file you sent me and it works much better than the Magnuson supplied tune but I still have some oscillations/hiccups around 2,250 - 2,500 rpm.
it is a process...
Sorry forgot to mention this is 2020 JTR

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HI Dave
it is a process...
Ok I will send you my latest file, do you have a way to take data? Would you know how to load a channel list if I sent it to you?

Foxtrot01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Thanks! Yes, I can use the HP Tuner Scanner to give you some data and can load a channel list that you send. What kind of log do you want - WOT run and/or driving around?

Sponsored

Foxtrot01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Sorry all, that was meant for Dave directly.

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
HI Dave
it is a process...
Following this! I also live in CO (CO Springs) and after towing 5000 miles with a 4k trailer to CA and back, more power would be so much better. Probaby won't be able to pull the trigger until late summer or fall so I'll just keep watching from the sidelilnes. Keep us posted please ;)

rmnpjunky

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR 392
Ok I will send you my latest file, do you have a way to take data? Would you know how to load a channel list if I sent it to you?
Hi Dave, Yes I could do that !
thanks

Jeepingaround

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
New to forum but I sure am glad I found!
Took me a while but I read through this entire thread and I can say I am now hesitant on purchasing but DANG my jeep needs some more power. So the 2021 is having more issues? I am not techy enough to trouble shoot myself and am 2.5 hours away from an installer I trust. Is anyone running the most current Magnuson tune only in here and are happy with it on a 2021 model?

Looks like I need to upgrade spark plugs for sure and I am trying to make notes but I cant find other must haves and changes during install in this thread again! Anyone want to repeat must do's or don'ts?
Sponsored