Map update

ElDirector

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
So, just updated the map on my Uconnect 4c 8.4” touchscreen. What an overly complicated, time consuming, absolute pain in the rear, and completely unnecessary process.

for starters, these things have an internet connection. Why the usb drives and all of the typing of codes? Gotta order the drives, wait for them, and then enter codes into their website to get codes to enter into the radio. 30 minutes for a software update and 30 for the maps. We landed on the moon with less.

you can do better, Jeep.

</rant off>
Sponsored

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
I also use Waze through Android Auto. And with Google Maps, you can download a geographic area locally to your device, so if you lose data connection on the phone you still have mapping available.

The advantage to the built-in mapping and navigation platform is you don't have to worry about access and availability. If you find yourself caught out, no cell service, it's great to have an actual onboard GPS product with maps loaded into the system.

Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
TIL there is someone out there that uses the garbage map that comes with the truck.
For what it’s worth the uConnect gps system is pretty great as far as mainstream OEM’s go. I had it in my challenger and used it fairly often. But at the end of the day there really is nothing that can compete with GMaps/Waze.

AmosMoses01

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
Sounds like there's been no improvement over the update process that was the Uconnect in my 2014 RAM. I followed that process exactly once, and never updated again. Same for my 2017 Mazda MX5, somewhat (barely) less convoluted, but nevertheless much too much work. I let Google Maps download offline maps every time it expires, and update it should I be going to a new area before I leave the house. Maps are the killer app for me with Carplay/Android Auto, followed by the music subscription on the phone.

John Hursh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Beermeister
The update is a colossal PIA. With the last Garmen I bought at Walmart for a fraction of the price for in-screen systems for my cars the updates were free. Love the Uconnect system; hate the map update system and not feeling any love about the cost to update it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This kind of crap is why I'm planning to actually block or disconnect both the LTE and GPS antennas on my Jeep in the interest of privacy.

All I need is Apple CarPlay and AM/FM.

Sponsored

antwon412

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JT Mojave
This kind of crap is why I'm planning to actually block or disconnect both the LTE and GPS antennas on my Jeep in the interest of privacy.

Lol. Blocking Jeep’s GPS/LTE for privacy, but having no problem using Apple is quite ironic.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol. Blocking Jeep’s GPS/LTE for privacy, but having no problem using Apple is quite ironic.
Its actually not.

Read their privacy policies.

Apple is far from perfect. But the best you will get these days. Either way. One less company tracking me is still a good thing.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant

Just don’t ever disconnect the battery once you disable the built in LTE. You’ll discover that a lot of the UConnect apps have vanished and won’t come back.