Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Mark Allen talks about a possible sub-Gladiator pickup and Jeep Gladiator design in this interview with Australian site CarsGuide.

Via: https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/a-sub-gladiator-jeep-ute-probably-wont-happen-right-away-79042

A sub-Gladiator Jeep ute 'probably won't happen right away'

After teasing Wranglers with trays for years, Jeep is set to finally add a Wrangler-based ute to its line-up in Australia in 2020 with the arrival of the all-new Gladiator.

But with the brand headed in a more global direction, and the Dodge Dakota known to be in the works, could the brand launch another, smaller, ute?

CarsGuide asked Jeep’s head of design, Mark Allen, if he thought there would be room for Jeep to do another ute or pick-up truck – after all, it is the most competitive segment in our market.

His initial thought was to ask us back if we think it would be smaller or larger than the over-five-metre-long Gladiator. We said surely smaller. Jeep’s parent company, Fiat Chrysler, already has the larger truck market covered off with Ram (which is doing remarkably well in our market, despite the extra cost added from a local RHD conversion).

“I would like to take the challenge,” Mr Allen said of a smaller Jeep-branded truck. “It’s probably not going to happen right away, but I do like small trucks, I always have…”

The upcoming Ram Dakota will slot in below the full-sized 1500 and is said to be based on a new “low-cost” ladder-frame platform which FCA will need to compete with a new surge of smaller trucks in the North American market. The Ford Ranger has recently become available to Americans in factory left-hand drive and EcoBoost petrol engine options.

The existence of this new smaller platform in the FCA family opens up the opportunity for other badges, particularly one as widely recognised as Jeep, to utilise it more widely. It remains to be seen if it will be made available to right-hand drive markets.

Mr Allen said it was already challenging for the brand to design the Gladiator.

“From the middle of the truck forward was carryover [from the Wranlger Unlimited]. It took us a long time to stomach the proportions. The Gladiator is odd when you stare at it in profile. I incorrectly predicted that having a convertible top on a pick-up would be dumb. But now, it’s my favourite feature. I say this a lot: It’s not pretty. But it’s pretty cool.”

The Gladiator is set to be available imminently in Australia with a starting MSRP of $75,450. It kicks off in two variants, both equipped with a petrol 3.6-litre V6 producing 209kW/347Nm. It is worth noting that this relatively high starting price puts it in striking distance of the Ram 1500 Express quad cab ($79,950) and Ford’s popular Ranger Raptor ($77,190) and perhaps too expensive to be considered alongside mainstream segment heroes like the Toyota HiLux or Mitsubishi Triton.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
A sub-Gladiator Jeep ute 'probably won't happen right away'
Vinny Gambini:
It is possible that the two utes...

Judge Chamberlain Haller:
...Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?

Vinny Gambini:
Uh... what word?

Two what?

Vinny Gambini:
What?

Uh... did you say "utes"?

Vinny Gambini:
Yeah, two utes.

What is a ute?

Sponsored

Jeepnoob34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
“It’s not pretty. But it’s pretty cool.”

Couldn’t agree with this more. I actually thought the gladiator was ugly as hell the first time I saw it lol. Mainly from behind.......kinda like the opposite of a butterface lol. Usually life hands you “ugly in the front”, making you turn them around for a better view from the back.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
The convertible top design is dumb, the way it stacks. It should have been designed to stack over the bed when folded back. They at least could have made the whole thing quick release with levers so you could throw it in the back under a tonneau without having to fiddle with bolt removal. That said, once the soft top is fully removed (not man-bunned) the truck is brilliant.

Pogoda

First Name
Rob & Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins; 2001 Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
I thought it was ugly too, at first. Then after wondering if we were going to break an axle on the ol’ Ram Cummins SLT when elk hunting, we thought a Jeep might be a good idea. 2 door Wranglers? Not enough range without carrying gas and not much storage in back for rifles and gear. 4 door Wranglers? No towing capacity, but damn good otherwise. The Gladiator fit the bill! Shorter wheel base, room for gear, room for dog, room for elk, and can tow the 3500 lb Casita camp trailer. Might be the perfect rig for us.

Sponsored

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Vinny Gambini:
It is possible that the two utes...

...Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?

Vinny Gambini:
Uh... what word?

Two what?

Vinny Gambini:
What?

Uh... did you say "utes"?

Vinny Gambini:
Yeah, two utes.

What is a ute?
Genious!

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
Jeep Gladiator Mark Allen Incorrectly Predicted Gladiator's Convertible Top Would Be Dumb, And Says Sub-Gladiator Pickup Won't Happen Right Away 1965

Land Cruiser 70 very desirable competition that maybe I would have over the Gladiator if available here. Although very happy with my Gladiator, like it better each day.
The 70 series ute is very basic! I am sure if you saw how basic it was you might change your mind! People spend $$$ just to get it to where the Gladiator is ...

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
The 70 series ute is very basic! I am sure if you saw how basic it was you might change your mind! People spend $$$ just to get it to where the Gladiator is ...
I like basic, but the irony in that is I have a Rubicon and not a Spot. Probably think I want one because they are not available here.
Sponsored