First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
I have no problem with a shop not renting you a trailer that would be over your tow limit, self admittedly.

Good for them.
Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Dude, that would destroy your springs... the truck is rated for something like 1300lbs in the bed and cab combined so if you are weightless and you put 2 tons of shit in the bed you won't be enjoying driving the truck after you've unloaded it. You could easily snap a spring on any bump with that load...
Maybe I got my numbers wrong. Maybe it was 1 ton ( 2K lbs) they gave me in my 13 F150??

OP
OP

arminius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I would disagree. A fully loaded dump trailer would well exceed the Gladiator's rating.

The Gladiator has a fair towing capability, but it is far from a "workhorse". Filling a dump trailer with dirt, which is quite heavy, is something you should get a bigger truck for. The rental company might be using a weird qualification in the number of lugs, but their decision to turn him away ended up being the right one anyway.
UPDATE!!! Hi all - thanks for all the messages, here is what I did yesterday with my Max Tow. I went to another Rental company, and they gladly rented me a 6'x10' dump trailer. They said it weighed about 2500 lbs dry. I went to the landscape supply and put in 3 tons (yes, 3 fricken tons) of black dirt. Drove it through windy roads about 20 miles to my house, dumped it. So that would be about 8500 lbs total.

I wasn't done yet, as i had just enough time to make another trip. I went back to landscape supply and this time got 3 tons of gravel (so again 8500 lbs total). I took a different route to my house this time on highway.

The Gladiator Max Tow handled both scenarios. Keep in mind i've got a lot of experience hauling with trailers, so I don't do stupid stuff like fast around turns, and jack-rabbit stops. The only part I could tell the Gladiator struggled a little bit was pulling up a hill from a slow down or stop....the engine had a hard time but made it.

I'll probably do this a half-dozen times a year, so not workhorse type stuff... but yes, the Max Tow delivered as expected. Kinda wish i would have taken pictures, it looked good :) Peace.

KWin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise, BMW 328I, Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Engineer
UPDATE!!! Hi all - thanks for all the messages, here is what I did yesterday with my Max Tow. I went to another Rental company, and they gladly rented me a 6'x10' dump trailer. They said it weighed about 2500 lbs dry. I went to the landscape supply and put in 3 tons (yes, 3 fricken tons) of black dirt. Drove it through windy roads about 20 miles to my house, dumped it. So that would be about 8500 lbs total.

I wasn't done yet, as i had just enough time to make another trip. I went back to landscape supply and this time got 3 tons of gravel (so again 8500 lbs total). I took a different route to my house this time on highway.

The Gladiator Max Tow handled both scenarios. Keep in mind i've got a lot of experience hauling with trailers, so I don't do stupid stuff like fast around turns, and jack-rabbit stops. The only part I could tell the Gladiator struggled a little bit was pulling up a hill from a slow down or stop....the engine had a hard time but made it.

I'll probably do this a half-dozen times a year, so not workhorse type stuff... but yes, the Max Tow delivered as expected. Kinda wish i would have taken pictures, it looked good :) Peace.
Thanks for the conclusion! I got a max tow solely for towing my RV because my tacoma struggle bussed it up hills and in reverse. Going 20-30minutes slightly overweight is understandable if you are careful, pulling my 4000lb rig down 70miles of off road trails was not a happy day for my tacoma (rated at 5000lbs) I think this jeep would have no problem and im glad to hear you didn't stall out up hill. Makes me feel better about my buy!

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Kinda related, local dirt stone company would not dump 2 ton soil in my JT cause it was too short a bed. Kind of a PIA.
Please fight the soil company and make them put that soil in your truck! Only request i have is make sure to film it. We need more funny video's.

Sponsored

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
No, he is asking for a trailer to pull what his truck is rated to pull.....
So dont fully load it. It still doesnt mean that he cant pull the trailer with dirt in it, or his trailer/tractor. It does sound like he is pushing it about 5% over its rated max for some of the loads, but lets not pretend he is going *way* overboard (he said 7-8k, Truck rated for 7650).

Put 5% less dirt and he is right at the mark.
The problem lies with a company renting you something that if used properly to its fullest will be more than the vehicle can tow. Yes you can say and even have it in writing that you wont overload the trailer for the tow vehicles load, but if you get into an accident and all things were the owner/driver's fault lawyers will still find a way and hold the rental company liable for renting something not fitted to the vehicle pulling it. Then the rental company may be on the line for millions in damages especially if life was lost.

Much easier for the company to play it safe and deny the rental.

TheGerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
IT
No, but rental places have some weird rules. U-Haul wouldn't let me rent a trailer in my TJ because it was a soft top. But the same jeep with a hard top was allowed to, for example. Something bad happened once a long time ago, so now they're CYA.
Yeah, I had the same issues a year ago. U-Haul didn't wanted to let me reserve a trailer online for my JKU when I selected softtop, changed it to hardtop and everything was fine. The guys at the U-Haul store didn't care.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Please fight the soil company and make them put that soil in your truck! Only request i have is make sure to film it. We need more funny video's.

That was amazing to watch. How did no one there not see this coming?LOL

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Kinda related, local dirt stone company would not dump 2 ton soil in my JT cause it was too short a bed. Kind of a PIA.
2 ton of soil is 4,000 pounds, right?

What's the payload of the JT again?

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT

How do people this dumb exist?

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

Fricking hilarious…….waiting on the sequel …..How to remove rock…
🍿:beer:

TheGerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
IT
I picked up a Gladiator Sport Max Tow a few months back. Was super excited going form my JK, then JL, to the Gladiator as now I could pull a good size trailer. I went to go rent a dump trailer a few weeks back, and they wouldn't let me as said my truck was too small (5 lugs vs 6 lugs per tire)....6 lugs would be 3/4 or ton truck. So now if I have to pull around that 7k or 8k pounds, I need to buy my own trailer (because they wont rent me a big one), which is about $10k to buy a trailer.

Anyone else had experiences with hauling large loads with Gladiator max tow? FYI i'll be hauling dirt in dump trailers, like 7k pounds. I'd also like to put my 4k pound compact tractor in that dump trailer, which again would put me around the 8k pounds marker.
'
Problem solved:

Jeep Gladiator Max Tow pushing it too much? 1638478263687

;)

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I picked up a Gladiator Sport Max Tow a few months back. Was super excited going form my JK, then JL, to the Gladiator as now I could pull a good size trailer. I went to go rent a dump trailer a few weeks back, and they wouldn't let me as said my truck was too small (5 lugs vs 6 lugs per tire)....6 lugs would be 3/4 or ton truck. So now if I have to pull around that 7k or 8k pounds, I need to buy my own trailer (because they wont rent me a big one), which is about $10k to buy a trailer.

Anyone else had experiences with hauling large loads with Gladiator max tow? FYI i'll be hauling dirt in dump trailers, like 7k pounds. I'd also like to put my 4k pound compact tractor in that dump trailer, which again would put me around the 8k pounds marker.
'
if 6 lugs is their criteria, that means they’d rent it out to a Bronco with a 3,500 tow capacity. I’d like to see that in action

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase

Maybe I got my numbers wrong. Maybe it was 1 ton ( 2K lbs) they gave me in my 13 F150??

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
Definitely the wrong truck for the (or at least that) job. Just because it did it, doesn't mean you should keep on doing it. You claim to be experienced and don't do stupid stuff, yet you exceeded your tow vehicles rated capacity by 1000lbs.
Sponsored