Sponsored

Moved up to 37s, now have vibration?

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
To follow up on mine experence on this issue also, after having the Nitto Ridge Grapplers replaced once, with another set, I gave up on them also. Ended up installing a set of Toyo MT's. Just want to make a call out to @Discount Tire for working with me on this issue to the end. Hopefully the next batch of Nittos will not have this issue.
A coworker has these on his gmc sierra and they balanced them 3x and it has the exact symptom mentioned in this thread. Hes going to run them for a year and swap for anything else. Clearly those ridge grapplers are having an issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP

21WhiteRubi

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just got back from a cross county trip to Moab. Roughly 4,000 miles total. The BFG rode and performed great, no complaints. I ran roughly 16 PSI on the trails and 32 PSI on the road. Did both Fins and Things as well as Hell's Revenge. Only a couple of beauty marks on the rear bumper and the hitch, but from the most part the rear end cleared everything with the AEV 2.5" lift and the 37" BFGs. Also carried the tent and a bed full of gear in the back.

Going west through eastern Kansas killed my gas mileage, but prior to that I was averaging over 17. I would say on the way out I averaged roughly 15-16. On the way back was probably closer to 14-15 as one of our friends that was riding his KTM across ran into a fueling issue and I had to pull his bike home from Oklahoma City.

I can tell you that with no weight, no towing, minimal hills the Gladiator has felt fine with 37s and the stock 4.10s. I was routinely in 7-8th in a lot of the eastern state highways. If you start to pull any decent hill, a drop to 5-6th is normal. Colorado hills equated to a lot of 4-5th climbing. I think I saw roughly 230 coolant temp and 197 trans temp pulling up the Ike pass. The headwinds also equated to a lot of 6th gear at 70-75 mph. Pulling the trailer back, most of the flat areas at 70 mph were using 6th gear. Hills dropped it to 4-5th. Did not see much of 7th. Trailer and bike were probably an added 1300 lbs.

Overall I am ecstatic on how she performed over the whole trip. But I will be re-gearing to 4.88s soon as I think it really does need it to be a well rounded machine. No issues on the trails and that was my first time doing anything like that. A few pucker moments for me, but the Gladiator can handle way more than I was throwing at it I'm sure.

20220608_112606.jpg

20220608_130158.jpg

20220608_143648.jpg

20220608_143745.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

TheRealGinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Swapped to the KO2s this morning at Discount Tire. Smooth as glass. Need to get them up to 70mph or so, but I don't expect anything. Smooth up to 45 mph. There was just something about those Nittos that just was off. I am thinking maybe it was a bad batch of tires that were produced.

I also went ahead and got a spare 37. Fits in the stock location. Tight towards the hitch, but plenty of clearance for the rear track bar.

I will report back with any issues, but so far so good. For those with the Nittos, I would suggest swapping to a different tire. Believe me, I wanted to keep the Nittos, but for me it just wasn't worth the headache of dealing with vibration all the time. Maybe I'm getting old....

And lastly, @Discount Tire did great in terms of doing all they could to make me happy with my choice. They said to go drive it and put it through the paces and make sure the BFGs are good to go. No complaining about me not being happy and wanting to switch to the Nittos etc. This is why I keep going back to them for tires.
Did they do a road force balance or static balance? Taking my 37x12.5r17s for a third time to a different Discount Tire and they are saying thier Hunter road force machine is erroring out because the tire is too close to the drum. I keep reading how these machines can do 38s so it is frustrating.

I am a big fan of discount tire but man they screwed up the paint on my wheels and cross threaded a lug nut this last time...had to come back because the weights fell off the next day in my driveway.

Cheers

OP
OP

21WhiteRubi

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Ouch! Hopefully they will make things right for you. I honestly think it was just a bad batch of Nittos. They balanced fine on the machines, so I think it was more of a tread flaw with the road at certain speeds. Just a vibration and not a wobble etc. Similar to a cupping feeling/sound at certain speeds.

I just put 5k miles on my BFG KO2s and had none of the same issues I was having with the Nittos. Nothing changed with the Gladiator. They ride smooth and quiet.
Sponsored