Sponsored

Vibration from 20-25 mph on 37s, common issue?

Hank_

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Mojave, 1941 Willys
Occupation
Ford and Jeep warranty claim analyst.
I have 37x12.5 17’s BFG all terrains and I have zero vibration at least up to 80. I haven’t been above that. No pull and no vibration. I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my JK and loved them. I mounted them on Mopar bead locks and drove it to have them balanced. I had no vibration even before balancing.

Hank
Sponsored

f33d

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Bad bearing only vibrating at certain speeds 25-35?? Anyone else have this experience?
Correct. It was only really noticeable from 20-33MPH. I have ocd and hear these things. Dealer tried to say it wasn’t an issue until I forced em to look.

OP
OP
PnwGladiatorBuild

PnwGladiatorBuild

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI , 2022 JTRD
Correct. It was only really noticeable from 20-33MPH. I have ocd and hear these things. Dealer tried to say it wasn’t an issue until I forced em to look.

Well. I'll swing it by the dealer if the new tires don't help.

The truck only has 3k miles on it so it would be wild if it was a bad bearing but we will see.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Also don't rule out the rear axle center hub not being machined properly. I sounds like you really need to get into a shop that specializes in vibration diagnostic or people will just keep wasting time and throwing parts at it.

I just had a guy come in last week that has spent $1000's at 4 shops on a vibration that he says started after he was rear ended. He came to me with a list of stuff he wanted to look at because the internet suggested to him. I told him my shop, so I control the diagnostic procedures based on his complaint. 8 mile roadtest to duplicate the condition and $119 to replace a collapsing fuel hose........NOT accident related. Why couldn't that have been found before?

rm1515

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Today was the day you were getting the two new tires correct? Did that fix it? I am still working on mine also. They replaced one and made it better, but didn't fix it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PnwGladiatorBuild

PnwGladiatorBuild

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI , 2022 JTRD
Today was the day you were getting the two new tires correct? Did that fix it? I am still working on mine also. They replaced one and made it better, but didn't fix it.
I am getting them installed tomorrow. Work messed up my schedule. Not sure if it’s in my head or not but I feel like the problem is even worse now. I’m hoping tomorrow the problem is resolved.

I also feel like my truck pulls a little to the left now…. Idk this tire issue has put a little damper on my new truck.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
Any updates? I took my truck into my local shop to install a few things. Asked them to try and balance the tires better as I said earlier have similar vibrations. Welp they ended up going down a crazy rabbit hole. After spending two days just messing with the balance and rotating around they figured it wasn’t the tires. Then they did stuff like checking angles, removing drivelines and messing with the carrier bearing spacers (part of my lift kit). Currently they have no idea what the cause is but are sure it isn’t the tires/wheels 🤷‍♂️

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
That rumble strip vibration does seem to rule out wheel/tire issues. Everything points to torque converter shudder. Looks like there has been a fair bit of issues with this on other cars.

https://community.cartalk.com/t/tru...oing-over-rumble-strips-only-over-40mph/63478

These newer 8 speeds probably act a bit different. Mine has it the worst right at 25 but also does it at 40 slightly.

I may try flushing the tranny fluid jic they had a bad batch at the factory. Another thing to try is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...2&tag=youtube08e94-20&linkId=IEPRKIZW7VNYIJMM

I will report back.

Its also possible in this supply chain challenged world some different parts got sourced for the trans and we are going to see some recalls soon.

21WhiteRubi

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am getting them installed tomorrow. Work messed up my schedule. Not sure if it’s in my head or not but I feel like the problem is even worse now. I’m hoping tomorrow the problem is resolved.

I also feel like my truck pulls a little to the left now…. Idk this tire issue has put a little damper on my new truck.
Did you ever get this issue worked out? Have the same experience with my brand new 37" ridge grapplers. And I am running them on a hub centric wheel. Feels like the vibration is coming from the front. Feel it in the steering wheel and can hear the tires. Smooths out at higher speed. But I feel like these should be pretty quiet out of the box and no vibration.

OP
OP
PnwGladiatorBuild

PnwGladiatorBuild

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI , 2022 JTRD
I didn’t but now I’m convinced it’s the tires. Had the dealership pull the truck apart and test everything, no issues. One of my tires is has a road force of 31. I’ll see what discount tire can do on replacing them with a different brand of tire. Because I spent 3500 after their warranty, I feel like my tires shouldn’t vibrate. To their credit though discount did order me 2 new tires and replaced the rears but the issue persists. I think it’s the nittos

Sponsored

21WhiteRubi

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@PnwGladiatorBuild, I'm sorry to hear about the vibration issues but I'm glad to hear the store is taking care of you.
My store has been pretty good about re-balancing them for me. First time back one of the tires was 4oz out. 2nd time back found one that was 3/4 oz out. Same issue persists though. At this point I am going to have a more 4wd focused shop take a look and see if they agree on the balancing. If so, I may also have to swap to a different brand of tire and see if that changes anything. I know larger tires get harder to balance correctly, but tire technology has come so far and there are too many jeeps running around with 37" and larger tires with no balancing issues. Would hate to not stick with the Trail Grapplers though as I like the "hybrid" nature of the tire for what I plan to do. If we do narrow things down to the tires, what is discount's policy on returns/exchanges? And what time table might I be looking at to make that decision? I am trying to keep the miles off the tires at this point (have a couple other cars I can drive).

OP
OP
PnwGladiatorBuild

PnwGladiatorBuild

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf TDI , 2022 JTRD
@PnwGladiatorBuild, I'm sorry to hear about the vibration issues but I'm glad to hear the store is taking care of you.
I wouldn’t say the store has fixed the issue. At this point they are saying it’s because it’s a bit tire and it will vibrate.

is there something you can do? I don’t know how to fix this issue other than getting away from the nittos at this point.

rm1515

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finance
Mine ended up being the tires. The store replaced the Nitto Ridge Grapplers with Cooper STT Pro's and the vibration is gone.

I had the dealer check and they took 4 tires off another gladiator and put them on mine. they let me drive it that way. It was definitely the tires. They had already tested the transmission and replaced the rear axle for the gears being installed incorrectly from the factory(they thought this was the vibration). My discount tire tried once more to fix it and just couldn't. So they just ordered all new tires and put them on. I am just happy its over. 9 trips to the store and 2 to the dealership.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
At this point they are saying it’s because it’s a bit tire and it will vibrate.
I guess all of these full-size truck owners with even bigger tires need to keep it below 25 mph, then, since all big tires will vibrate 🙄
Sponsored