Sponsored

Must have’s when looking for budget Gladiator.

Jonb1032

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Hardrock
Occupation
Letter carrier
I am looking to buy a lower end gladiator, I’ve have had several Jeep Jks, and there were always good options to have, like 4:10 gears, etc. Is there any things or certain model considered ideal.. So far I looking for a sport with max tow package, I know sport s is nice but gettIng pricey. Hoping the manual locks/ wndows won’t be to bad.( I’m keeping my 2017 Hardrock, so gladiator will be my daily) Any advice would help, thanks.

6696C336-3E2E-401E-8900-4BD4D3CCD118.jpeg
Sponsored

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
If by daily you mean a commuter / grocery getter:
- IMO this is where the electric locks, windows, stereo, and other comforts matter

My recommended and personal buy ups on the JTR: (in order of pref)
- Automatic
- LED lighting
- Hardtop

Things I ended up purchasing within 48 hrs of ownership: (wasn't in stock at dealership)
- $500 Headliner (Hotheads is nice)
- $600 Bedliner
- $160 All weather mats
-----------------
$1260 cash spent immediately

Wish I would haves: (in order of pref)
- Proximity locks.
- Adaptive Cruise
- front cam
- 8.4" stereo

If you plan to build out regardless in terms of any off-road stuff, then I'd wait to spend the money on gearing, lockers, etc until you settle on the tire size.

For me, I was looking at the MaxTow also, but quickly latched onto the JTR because of all it offered for about a similar $; but it would be financed and warrantied also.

- That said, I now run 37s and I'm thinking of re-gearing, so the 4:10s I paid for up front are kinda worthless.
- They have (not all, but a lot of them) a rear locker light issues that at some point can throw codes and leave the Jeeps disabled. This apparently may come back even "if" they replace the whole axle (which appears to be the only fix) So, knowing this now, an ARB locker might be a better way to go.

At the end of the day, IMO too many people focus on the cheapest truck they can buy; skipping out on more premium options; only to put out the cash soon after.

For me, I'd rather cover my bases with a factory option when possible to have it financed and warrantied. Or, use cash on hand to buy up with factory options with a larger down-payment and again, have some warranty and be able to just buy and drive it.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
This is my first Jeep and I finally had my first off road experience this past weekend. It was capable of doing everything I was comfortable doing without lockers. So I’m glad I went with a Max Tow over a Rubicon. I’m satisfied with the capability it has as-is (though I still got a winch).

Id say the Sport S package is worth it for a daily driver. Power locks and windows are going to be used all the time. Having at least a 7” screen was important to me for CarPlay. And if you ever plan on needing aux switches in the future, best to have them installed from the factory.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I have a Sport Max Tow with a hard top. I'm usually against Jeep hard tops, but I don't like the JT soft top and the small hard top is easier to remove. The 5" radio is good enough with upgraded speakers.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Pretty much what I did and was lucky to find it on a dealer's lot. Mine is a Sport. I wanted max tow for the HD axles and 4.10 axle ratio. Other options mine has is the hard top, aux switch group, slush mats, automatic transmission, tinted sunscreen windows and SiriusXM. The lack of power windows and door locks does not bother me. The suggested retail was $41,085.

The only thing I've done to it so far is bolt on some Gladiator take-off wheels & tires. I'd like to lift it a couple of inches but I'm still undecided on how I want to do that.

Almost forgot, I added the Mopar side steps. Mostly to protect the back door hinges and sides of the Jeep from being beat to death while driving on gravel & dirt roads.

Jeep Gladiator Must have’s when looking for budget Gladiator. 20210327_152036 (Medium)

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I was budget constrained. I'd get

Sport S - I need power locks in a 4 door vehicle
Max Tow - so much goodness for so little money.
Hard top - I live in the NE. Winters would suck with the base plastic soft top.

LED lights are unnecessary. Yes, they look cool, and yes, they provide better light, but at $1000+ its not worth the money. I've installed LED headlight bulbs in my car that were $40 and they are awesome. I've also installed LED reverse bulbs and its great. Those were about $10 on Amazon.

Then, I'd buy some Rubicon or Mojave take offs on CL or fleabay.

One other thing. I'd avoid the used market. You end up paying only a few thousand dollars less for a used car. These things dont' depreciate much.

You put together the model I mentioned above and you are at $35kish. With discounts its maybe 33k. So how much less are you going to pay for a used one?

Also, financing rates are usually lower on new cars. So you save there too.

msugeek

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Willys Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Everybody has their own list of "must-haves". You need to decide what YOU need.

I wanted a base Willys Sport with a Manual Transmission, Aux Switches, and Towing. The reason for this was the upgraded alternator and cooling that comes with those two packages. The one I found on the lot had Aux Switches and the Roll-up Tonneau. I was going to add the Tonneau later anyway so I went ahead and bought it. Not having the towing was a concern, but it actually saved a few bucks. I'm only doing light towing and the MT is only rated at 4,000 pounds so I added an aftermarket Curt Class III 2" receiver which was $99. It's rated for 5,000 lbs which is more than the truck can pull anyway. The factory Class IV hitch would've been overkill.

The manual windows and locks are fine for me because it's a weekender vehicle and not a daily driver. We don't travel much with it and don't bring anything worth stealing with us so we just leave the doors unlocked. This also will hopefully keep any would-be thieves from slashing my soft top to get inside and discover nothing is there. Occasionally, when we do need to lock up, it's normally when the wife and kids are with me and they are all responsible for locking their doors. I just unlock them for everyone when I get back in.

Speaking of the soft top, it doesn't get very cold here, mine isn't a daily driver, and we have 9+ months of the year where I can lay the top back on any given day. The road noise isn't terrible unless you're up over 70mph. We also have pop-up showers frequently here in the spring and summer so being able to run around with the top back but close it when needed is nice while not having to tow around freedom panels and take up space. I've got 3 kids and a bunch of outdoor gear to lug around, so not having to mess with panels and such is a plus.

I might buy a hard top later if I can find a good deal on one. I might even re-gear down the road and throw some bigger tires on, but I'm happy with my options at the moment. Bottom line, everyone is different and even your needs/wants might be different 2 years from now. The good thing that I have discovered being a first time Jeep owner is there's really not much that absolutely CAN'T be added/changed down the road.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Manual locks and hand crank windows get a little old especially if you have kids and a wife unit. Back in my single days, I had no problems but in my later adult years with a family, I find the money somewhere to ensure I have those options now.

Hopefully you are not shopping based on dealers with MSRP only pricing. I would highly suggest if not already done to look at some of the vendors here that are doing 5%-8% below invoice pricing. That kind of savings helps offset those higher trim level options that make it more bearable.

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I am looking to buy a lower end gladiator, I’ve have had several Jeep Jks, and there were always good options to have, like 4:10 gears, etc. Is there any things or certain model considered ideal.. So far I looking for a sport with max tow package, I know sport s is nice but gettIng pricey. Hoping the manual locks/ wndows won’t be to bad.( I’m keeping my 2017 Hardrock, so gladiator will be my daily) Any advice would help, thanks.

Jeep Gladiator Must have’s when looking for budget Gladiator. 20210327_152036 (Medium)
I got a completely bare Mojave.
If i had to buy again I might consider diesel.
I got the 7" display, it's fine imo.
You can upgrade speakers easy enough. You can easily add aftermarket heated seats and led headlights.

For me i wish I had gotten the trail rail with the bed outlet. Alot of bed accessories revolve around that rail.

Imo I don't have anything must have, just about everything can be done yourself for a fraction of the cost if you are handy and patient.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired

I bought a JT Sport w/towing, posi-track and engine block heater. 6MT. "Take-off" cosmetic upgrades are abundant and inexpensive. The Sport came w/everything I needed; PS, PB, cruise, tile/tele, A/C, tinted window, 8 speaker stereo and a host of safety stuff. Back in the day, that was "top-of-the line". I'm the only person who will be driving it and not everyday, either, so no need for a seat w/multiple adjustments, doors are off in the summer, so no need for power windows/locks and I wouldn't know how to use Bluetooth, Android or all that other stuff, so Ill happily buy, for example, a set of aluminum wheels (new takeoffs) for $75 and get my tires mounted and balanced on them for $60. Only thing I wish I could've gotten from the factory was heated seats, but aftermarket kits are available and easy to install. Now, if it would ever get here; had to special order it.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Totally personal. For me it was leather, because it's easier to clean the dog hair and dirt and sand off than cloth. Could add seat covers but I didn't wanna mess with that.

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
I am the same boat as you... I can't afford a Mojave/Rubicon. But here is what I am adding to a Sport S.
- Automatic Trans
- 8.4" Radio Group
- Freedom Hardtop
- Trailer Tow package
- Cold Weather Group
- Adaptive Cruise Control

EDIT: Gladiator order placed. I ended up having to go with an Overland to get all my packages. Something funky was happening on the Jeep ordering system that wouldn't allow everything.

wvuviv30 build.jpeg

Last edited:

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
ordered mine as a sport s 6-speed with only 3 options, 1. hardtop, canada eh, 2. cold weather group, canada eh, 3. tow package

that is my minimum, love it, i don't like fully loaded rides, simple functional as possible, it's got power locks including tailgate which i like

this allowed me to do the audio right, the gears right for 37's and otherwise it stays lightweight, nimble and simple

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Id say the Sport S package is worth it for a daily driver. Power locks and windows are going to be used all the time. Having at least a 7” screen was important to me for CarPlay. And if you ever plan on needing aux switches in the future, best to have them installed from the factory.
I couldn't agree more on this
Sponsored