Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I went with the rubi so I got more stuff. 8.4 LED, AUX, HT, Tow, Trail rail, cold weather
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Even if you don't plan on towing, get the Tow Package. It includes better cooling, bigger alternator, and the hitch zoom camera.
And if you live in the north, you'll really appreciate the Cold Weather Package. It's a bit difficult to add the heated steering wheel later.
Also for the north, or anywhere there's inclement weather, the Selec-Trac transfer case adds AWD.

Kevin

AkBooman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
Everyone has given what to add. I suggest you don’t get the spray in bed liner if you plan on mounting anything in the bed!!

Hasted

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Occupation
ASL Interpreter/ Teacher
Fully opinion. I went for things that would be a pain to do myself or I just liked the factory version. These are also things my wife got on her Wrangler 4xE.

Highly recommend:

Aux - Watched an install of these and it looked insane. Dash pulled, wires all over, etc. I would never attempt this myself.

Cold Weather (if you have winters) - Never going to do this myself. I live in Ohio with some cold mornings. Since I wanted a manual like you, that also means no remote start to warm the truck up. I will depend on those heated seats more than usual this winter. My wife will also appreciate it.

Tow - even though I got the least tow capable (I think) version with the Manual Mojave. Worth it to me.

C. Gorilla Glass - $95?! This seems like the easiest box to check. (Wife's 4xE does not have this as we ordered it a month before this option was available. And also cracked that windshield weeks before this was available.)

Recommend to most:

LED - I really like the Gladiator and Wrangler LED lights. You can get cheaper ones, though.

Proximity Entry - Fell in love with this on Wife's previous Jeep (Cherokee). Not for everyone. I have never had a vehicle with anything other than a real key prior to this. If I can't use a key to start my Jeep, then I don't want to worry about the key at all. Personal preference.

Other options I went for that I can't recommend for everyone.

Leather -Mojave leather hugs you and feels amazing. There are great options out there.
8.4 UConn w/ Alpine - I like the system and sounds good enough.
Bedliner - You can get this done for better/ cheaper.
Trail Rail - was the last thing I added. Almost didn't. Meh, still not sure if it was worth.

Wish I got, but still not recommend to everyone:
Convenience Group - Not an option for Mojave?
Trail Cam - I have a very Mall Crawl explanation for why I want this, but I will leave that out. Ha
A Rubi steel bumper - not an option for Mojave. I love them, though. Gonna slap one on by the end of the year.

Since a manual is a must for you (like me), there are options you can't get.

No Remote Start
No Diesel
No Selec-Trac
Max Tow (only auto)
A few other smaller tidbits

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Tow package. MUST have. Otherwise you don't get a receiver hitch, you only get the ability to mount a ball onto the bumper.

LED lights - NOT worth it. For half or 1/3rd the money you can install aftermarket bulbs that blow the factory stuff away. Been there, done that.

Cargo Management - NOT worth it. I find that the lockable lid is just in the way. I can more easily use the bin without it. And I never once ever plugged anything into the bed outlet.

Aux switches - Worth it IF you are going to run lights or other low power electronics. Otherwise skip this and enjoy the cubby hole for storage instead.

Cold Weather - MUST have. Heated steering wheel is a godsend! Remote start, bigger alternator, heated seats, heated mirrors, etc. are all just bonuses!

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I guess it all depends on what you want to spend. I live in New England, so cold weather group was a must have. It seems goofy to me to have a truck and NOT go for the tow package. I have no intention of towing anything, but I always end up pulling a trailer with my vehicle every now and then.

The only way to get factory 4.10 gears with a manual is to go Rubicon or Mojave and, from what I hear, the manual begs for that shorter gearing. You could always add them aftermarket though if that was the only reason to go with the higher trim.

I went with all the options I wanted because I didn't feel like installing them myself or dealing with the downtime of having someone else install them. Plus getting them from the factory, you can be a lot more certain they are installed right and seamlessly and they are rolled into the financing that way.

A lot of insurance gives discounts for the safety groups. Unless you find their features annoying, I think they are generally worth the cost.

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
If I could re purchase one it'd be with bed outlet and aux switches. I'm getting aftermarket LEDs. Made my own trail system. I don't care for heated wheels and seats as I can remote start mine and warm it up while I get ready for work. And I didn't care for leather seats.

I thought I needed the 8.4 inch but honestly the 7 inch screen I found was more than adequate for my wife and I. But the Alpine premium sound is a must for me. My volume know is never below 24. I keep the bass heavy.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I would get (and did) the factory led lighting. Imho they are the best OEM lights on the market and I have not seen any better aftermarket.
I also like the factory auxiliary switches. Not only do you get the switches but you also get the pre-wired pigtails both in the cab and in the engine bay.
I always get the factory tow option in every truck I get. Better cooling, larger alternator and other goodies that will help you down the road.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TNJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra
this is just my opinion on some of the options and It really depends on what you use it for, what you plan to upgrade, what you dont mind upgrading yourself and how long you plan on keeping it.

Max tow is a lot of bang for your buck and great if you plan on towing and/or adding bigger tires but if you dont tow and dont plan on upgrading to 35s its not necessary

The factory led’s look nice but there are a lot of led options out there that look really good and are a little cheaper… just dont go too cheap if you go the aftermarket route

The fully upgraded stereos with (alpine add on) sound pretty good but for the same amount of money you could have a really nice stereo that would be more easily upgraded when the next round of tech comes out. But if you trade your vehicle in after 3 to 5 that probably isnt going to matter.

Factory remote start works well but you can have nicer 2 way long range remote start added for about the same price

leather seats look nice but you can add those later with the same quality for around the same price if not cheaper and have a lot of additional color and design choices..

heated seats… if you live in a cold area get it from the factory…
One of my first upgrades is 35 inch tires. I will likely regear to 4.56. I really want the M/T but i have seen and read about the clutch overheating and i am worried about that. Is this something possibly that will get worked out in the upcoming model? If i had to absolutely go with an auto, i would get the max tow. I do wonder about the 4.10s and 35s and if its plenty of get up left. If i stay with the M/T and sport S and have the shorter axles, can i still run 35s safely without stressing anything?

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
One of my first upgrades is 35 inch tires. I will likely regear to 4.56. I really want the M/T but i have seen and read about the clutch overheating and i am worried about that. Is this something possibly that will get worked out in the upcoming model? If i had to absolutely go with an auto, i would get the max tow. I do wonder about the 4.10s and 35s and if its plenty of get up left. If i stay with the M/T and sport S and have the shorter axles, can i still run 35s safely without stressing anything?
Plenty of folks on here are happy with 35's on 4.10's.

I'm sure the regular D44 axles can handle 35's. Look at prior Jeeps like TJ's and XJ Cherokees. Lighter vehicles, obviously, but tons of people have run 35's on them with worse axles.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Your must have of Manual eliminates the Max Tow and selec-trac so I would get the tow package, Aux switches and Gorilla Glass upgrade $95 for Gorilla Glass is way cheap.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I'm also in an ordering soon state, and have given this a lot of thought with a long and varied car history to back it up:

- First things first. Take. Your. Time. The model year changeover is imminent, so what you decide on now may not be available tomorrow anyway. Even if you're perfectly happy with what's currently available (only major expectated changes are UConnect5 with wireless CarPlay and colors), and you placed an order in five minutes, there are a lot of very significant delays going on, and it's likely to get much worse before it gets better. Don't be in a rush, you can only hurt yourself, and difference between 3 months and 3 months and a day or even a week is trivial in the long run and forgotten.

- Use the configurator to build your absolute dream truck. Go K-razzy. Every bell and whistle you think you might even like (i.e. the aforementioned heated steering wheel being a surprise favorite). Then go through each option and find someone on one of these forums where someone has retrofitted that option after the fact. Some are doable and make sense financially, some simply don't. If you're good with the electrical stuff, and limber enough to snake your way through the dash, the aux switches might be slightly cheaper to do yourself, and you might consider holding off unless/until you decide you need them. Ditto with the proximity entry, trail rail, etc. Once you've done that, check the aftermarket to see if there's an even better option. OEM is often better quality and will have better/easier support down the line, but the aftermarket can certainly beat the pants off OEM when they want to. This is going to be a very personal thing.

- LED Lights have been suggested, but I seem to recall a ruling was passed a year or so ago that severely limited the aftermarket LED options. Maybe even completely eliminated them... Look into that before you act on the aftermarket LED suggestions. If I'm right, it's factory or none. It's possible you can put the kit together legally with OEM parts, but you'll have to check for the cost effectiveness of that.

- Anything requiring a dealer flash to make it work also requires a dealer that isn't a piece of shit. They're few and far between around here. You may be one of the lucky ones.

- The steel bumper... It's going to be one of the only options, if not the only only option, beyond the plastic one that's crash tested. If you've ever been in a serious car wreck, this might warrant consideration. If you haven't it does as well, but the motivation isn't necessarily quite as acute. It'll be good quality, fit, etc. as well.

- If you add up the cost of the traction aids found in the Rubicon package, it's about the same as the cost of all of them individually, with little or none (I did the math, but forget the specifics) left over for installation or to justify the time spent. I'm sure the same is true for the suspension parts in the Mojave package, but haven't done the math there as it doesn't appeal to me.

- In the event of an insurance claim, the Rubicon checkbox counts for more than the individual parts if you were to do them separately, even if you kept the receipts.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter