My OEM Front Trail Cam install thread

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
Maybe I missed it, but is Alfa required for front camera install only? I have 8.4 and aux switches already with Tazer Mini.

Appreciate your write up and effort!
I do not know if Tazer can do it. All of us who have done it used AlfaOBD. Aux switches are irrelevant as far as the front camera is concerned. I only mention them because I did them at the same time.
Tazer can't do it. It can only activate the cargo camera feature on the radio. Z Automotive sells a front camera kit for that feature, but it won't come close to the video quality or features of the factory trail cam. The factory trail cam is an entirely different thing.
Sponsored

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Tazer can't do it. It can only activate the cargo camera feature on the radio. Z Automotive sells a front camera kit for that feature, but it won't come close to the video quality or features of the factory trail cam. The factory trail cam is an entirely different thing.
Appreciate the replies! I already have a harness from Jimmy and wanted my ducks in a row before ordering all the other parts.

Fishee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys NACHO
And z automotive changed their supplier of cameras and it it total junk and worthless. I had to replace mine and the new camera is soooo zooming in to the pavement you can't judge how close you are to objects and there is no way to adjust it. Picture quality is awful too

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
And z automotive changed their supplier of cameras and it it total junk and worthless. I had to replace mine and the new camera is soooo zooming in to the pavement you can't judge how close you are to objects and there is no way to adjust it. Picture quality is awful too
Hate to hear that. The camera I bought on Amazon is already on the way out so I was ready to take the L and pay that much for Z Automotive's setup.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
@ecidiego I pulled this from Jimmy's thread in reference to the 20' cable no longer on amazon. Here is another option to buy the cable.

Fakra Z Female to Fakra Z Female RG174 Coax Cable 50 ohm Coax Cable PICK LENGTH | eBay
Cool.

I would suggest however using 2 cables for the front cam to cvpm. Run one from cvpm to right where it gets to the front grille. Then a short one from there to camera. Reason being it makes removing the grille easier. You don't have to cut the ties when you unroute the cable from the grille cable organizers. This will all be clear when you see it.

Last edited:

AirborneTexasRanger

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2004 TJ Wrangler X
Occupation
Welder/CWI
All parts have arrived just in time for me to start a new job in a new city so the install will have to wait. Who ever said patience is a virtue never owned a Jeep.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Cool.

I would suggest however using 2 cables for the front cam to cvpm. Run one from cvpm to right where it gets to the front grille. Then a short one from there to camera. Reason being it makes removing the grille easier. You don't have to cut the ties and youunroute the cable from the grille cable organizers. This will all be clear when you see it.
This is a pro tip!

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I’ll check it out. It just does not give you an option for the 2022 jeep at the beginning. And if you choose the 2021 then you can’t connect
Did AlfaOBD update work for your 2022?

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know why I don’t have zoom button
You don’t have any zoom buttons? I had double at first. There is a setting for the zoom for both types of backup cams.

This is the setting for the original so be sure to disable it: radio & connectivity camera zoom setting with AlfaOBD

Then go back and double check the settings from the install write-up to ensure everything is set accordingly. I had to walk through them twice and found a couple that didn’t get set the first time through.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link

nickd

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Bright White
OP I'm doing the install this weekend. All the parts are here except,

6506955AA

The camera nuts won't be here for another 2 weeks. Is this something I can find a replacement for at Home Depot/Auto Zone?
Sponsored

Last edited: