Negative gladiator sales article

Sespe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
I've always thought Jeeps were cool but not enough to risk giving up the utility of a truck bed so they didn't lose a JL sale with me, they gained a JT sale.
Exactly the same here. This is my 3rd Jeep vehicle. A JL was not even on the radar.
Sponsored

P.Lo

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I can't speak for US sales, but these Gladiators are selling like hotcakes in the Lake Norman area of NC.

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I never thought the JT would be a fair comparison against the others, they are all Dana 44 4wd , removable roof & doors & fold down windshield. Nothing else can take 35’s off the lot. The Jeep brand wrangler base is not for everyone! Some people are just looking for a bargain boring midsized truck. And it looks like the Broncos won’t have a front solid axle so although it will be capable it will not be as off-road capable as JL/JT

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Saw a guy comment on a Jeep Facebook ad this morning that the Gladiator should be about $15k cheaper, which would make it the cheapest midsize truck on top of being the most capable. I let him know that a base Gladiator is $33k, $15k cheaper would be in the Kia Soul price range. You can’t get a decent used JK for that. Hell, some TJs are still going for more than that. People are just dumb.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
... I let him know that a base Gladiator is $33k, $15k cheaper would be in the Kia Soul price range. ($18K) Hell, some TJs are still going for more than that. People are just dumb.
I would not sell my LJR for that ;)

Sponsored

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
I sold my JKU Sahara because I needed a truck. Then in 2015 I jumped on the Gen 3 Tacoma. Wasnt happy with the tranny and was looking at full size Dodge or Chevy but... They finally released news of the JT. I fought the urge for a couple months but now I have my cake and eat it too!!! :)

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I sold my JKU Sahara because I needed a truck. Then in 2015 I jumped on the Gen 3 Tacoma. Wasnt happy with the tranny and was looking at full size Dodge or Chevy but... They finally released news of the JT. I fought the urge for a couple months but now I have my cake and eat it too!!! :)
Pretty much describes my arc, JKU Sahara to Tacoma TRD Off Road. Then spent 5 months trying to tell myself it was dumb to to sell my 2 year old truck and buy a Gladiator. 3 months later I’m glad I made that dumb decision back in November.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
>>It seems that $33,545 is a lot of money to pay for a pickup.<<

REALLY?? That's a lot to pay for a pickup? I know that line it taken out of context, but still - that 33K is dirt cheap for a pickup! I paid over that 9 years ago for my Silverado. Since when did 33K become a lot to pay for a pickup??? Even a mid-sized truck that's a 4x4? HUH?

Anywho - was talking with one of my wife's friends who doesn't like cars. She's an SUV and pickup person and she saw my truck and was going on about how much she loved it. She's had trucks and SUVs (her husband passed a few months ago from cancer - she still has his Comanche with 50K original miles on it) and she's thinking of trading off her 2004 Dodge something SUV and was thinking of a Gladiator and commented "you just don't see many of these" and more than once "I don't know anyone else who has one" - so I was showing off some of the neat stuff - how the roof works, the storage under the seats, the amazing read leg room (better than my Chevy was!) and other stuff. She was pretty impressed- I think she likes Jeep and MOPAR anyway - she just gave her husband's big RAM truck to their son (wish I was their kid - WOW, that's one GREAT truck he had!!)
I've talked to several folks - the thing is - they aren't selling in Iowa. Iowan's want a capable truck, not an off-roader. They want to pull, haul, and farm with it. So these will never do well here. It ain't gonna happen.
Doesn't mean I don't like them and don't think they have their place, just that it's absolutely a niche truck. I doubt it ever grows beyond that - at least not soon. Oh, well. As long as FCA can live and deal with that, and I can make this somehow work with my trailer and loads, I will be happy with it. as a daily driver, a general haul stuff around, go to the home center, pick up flooring and supplies, love it. Good choice. Comfort, ride quality, fuel economy, versatility, and my wife even mentioned to her friend when the weather finally settles, the top is coming off............

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I think a lot of people are hung up on looks/proportions of this truck, instead of what it can do. They just can't get over how different it looks to most other vehicles, and don't understand 'Form Follows Function'.
Opinions are like sphincters, right? ;)

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know about the struggling of the gladiator from what I see here in Orlando...I see them everywhere....what do you guys think?

https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-gladi...YVdnMTd1Tlo4OTItVzRNUXA.#js_discussion-region
In the world of journalism (even auto journalism) there's always someone who is going to take the opposite angle on a subject, just because they think they are being edgy or at some future date there's a chance they will be considered a prophet. The dealership I purchased my Gladiator from can't keep them in stock - may not be true for every dealership and area, but it's hard to believe the article as I'm seeing a lot on the road. As for the articles premise that Gladiator is overpriced for it's class... I don't see Ford, Chevy, Toyota offering a convertible pickup who's doors come off and offers best in class offroad capability! If someone wants a disposable 2 door basic truck... there are plenty of them on the market... Gladiator is not for them and never will be!

Last edited:

Sponsored

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
In the world of journalism (even auto journalism) there's always someone who is going to take the opposite angle on a subject, just because they think they are being edgy or at some future date there's a chance they will be considered a prophet. The dealership I purchased my Gladiator from can't keep them in stock - may not be true for every dealership and area, but it's hard to believe the article as I'm seeing a lot on the road. As for the articles premise that Gladiator is overpriced for it's class... I don't see Ford, Chevy, Toyota offering a convertible pickup who's doors come off and offers best in class offroad capability! If someone wants a disposable 2 door basic truck... there are plenty of them on the market... Gladiator is not for them and never will be!
It's also Jalopnik and I wouldn't categorize a website known for finding articles or YouTube videos online, linking it, adding a little commentary, and throwing on a click bait title as "journalism."

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think a lot of people are hung up on looks/proportions of this truck, instead of what it can do. They just can't get over how different it looks to most other vehicles, and don't understand 'Form Follows Function'.
Opinions are like sphincters, right? ;)
Are those the things that sit near the pyramids in Egypt and look sort of like big cats?

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Are those the things that sit near the pyramids in Egypt and look sort of like big cats?
Love it! Hey Ma I went to Egypt to see all the Sphincters! Very majestic

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
OP
OP
Yellow1098

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
Ok Greg, I'm in O town with my wife and daughter and I've only seen 2 Gladiators so far. Both have been white. I was hoping to see more out in the wild.
what part of town are you in? I was driving all over today and saw a black and a silver...
Sponsored