New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I used the Rockhard 4x4 winch plate for the oem Rubicon steel bumper and have zero interference between the winch clutch lever and the bumper. Plenty of room. Plus it was only $200. Much cheaper than the Mopar version and many of the other options as well.

582B0641-1800-41F2-A473-0DD3C760CFEF.jpeg
I did find I had to get longer front mounting bolts. For one, Rockhard did not send me 1-3/4" bolts like on their install video anyway, they sent 1" bolts. I picked up a pair of 2" bolts to make it work. I'm curious how did you run your wires?
Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Pretty cool review/look at the Badlands Apex winch from Muddy Beards 4x4 on YouTube if anyone was wondering how it holds up. The thumbnail for the video is pretty deceiving as he takes it apart just to look inside it towards the end of the video.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
He bent that reinforced winch plate with it.
It still looked good inside.

luisjbetances

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting Gray Sport S
Can anybody tell me if the Apex 12K w/ Su the tic center mounted or offset mounted? I’ve read about some Warns being offset mounted, therefore causing issues with the fair lead. What about the Apex? I’m wanting to install into a Motobilt Crusher bumper (which offers flexibility for either mounting type).

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Centered. Mine is well centered on the mounting plate and between the frame horns. (Badland Apex 12,000 winch from HF)

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Rockhard full width bumper and Apex winch. The Rockhard bumper comes with metal spacers to extend the bumper forward. The Rockhard Installation video says the 1" spacers are the ones most commonly used. I used both the 1/2" and the 1". I might not have needed both spacers if I had moved my winch positive lead from the back to the side to start with. I also used the HF disconnect.

I took some pictures when I was moving the cable and did a write up on the change. You can find that write up here:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/apex-winch-mod-move-positive-cable.38243/

i-hqWG7cJ-XL.jpg

i-PjZ2SBH-XL.jpg

i-K85MnLJ-XL.jpg

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Final step of the winch install is to pre-tension the rope. I did that this morning. I was surprised to find the drum end of the rope was a heavier piece. I am very impressed with the Harbor Freight Badlands Apex winch, both the completeness of the package and the ease of operation. I love the wireless controller.

i-rWj4Xzd-XL.jpg

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Apologies to dig up this old thread, but there is awesome info in here, thanks to you all!

Just wanted to follow up, are you guys all still happy with the winch a year or so after your installs? Tempted to pick one up, my local HF has them in stock with the 20% coupon this weekend.

I'll be installing it into the RR Arcus bumper, which I see fits in this thread.

Any reason I'd want a Smittybuilt over this? Warn is just simply out of my budget.

Thanks!!

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies to dig up this old thread, but there is awesome info in here, thanks to you all!

Just wanted to follow up, are you guys all still happy with the winch a year or so after your installs? Tempted to pick one up, my local HF has them in stock with the 20% coupon this weekend.

I'll be installing it into the RR Arcus bumper, which I see fits in this thread.

Any reason I'd want a Smittybuilt over this? Warn is just simply out of my budget.

Thanks!!
100% still happy with mine. I'd buy again for another vehicle if I had to. Can't beat the price for what you get.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
100% still happy with mine. I'd buy again for another vehicle if I had to. Can't beat the price for what you get.
Great, thank you! That is exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll snag one tomorrow.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
I just wanted to chime in to all and say thanks for all of the contributions as well. I was considering starting out with a removable winch setup (mounted on a hitch-mount plate) for the time beiing and just noticed the HF coupon as well. Think I am going to go ahead and scoop it up. Based on all the reviews I have seen it should more than meet my needs as a backup/just in case winch. I like to explore a lot of forest service roads and I am sometimes alone and it will provide me with a lot of piece of mind for the investment.

OP
OP
Sorbs

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanted to chime in to all and say thanks for all of the contributions as well. I was considering starting out with a removable winch setup (mounted on a hitch-mount plate) for the time beiing and just noticed the HF coupon as well. Think I am going to go ahead and scoop it up. Based on all the reviews I have seen it should more than meet my needs as a backup/just in case winch. I like to explore a lot of forest service roads and I am sometimes alone and it will provide me with a lot of piece of mind for the investment.
I just bought another Apex today for my Ram TRX and CURT 31010 Trailer Hitch Winch mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GMX3GE?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Sponsored