Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
I installed mine on a metal cloak bumper over the weekend. Never done it before and my only problem that i will fix before using the winch is one of the square nuts that you use to screw the base to the plate was not tapped correctly
Sponsored

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I installed mine on a metal cloak bumper over the weekend. Never done it before and my only problem that i will fix before using the winch is one of the square nuts that you use to screw the base to the plate was not tapped correctly
Where are you getting new square nuts from for this? (Assuming you are getting new ones)

Donkey Fluffer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU and 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! So I guess there is still a tiny bit of interference between the handle and the bumper and small shave to either one should do the trick. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to trim the bumper and not the handle?
I felt like shortening the handle might take away the leverage sometimes needed with winch handles and certainly wouldn't be as easy to clean up and paint as the bumper.

I'm taking the bumper off, hopefully this weekend, to install my Maximus 3 tow loops so I can towit behind my RV. It will require some trimming of the stock metal bumper also, but beats installing an unsightly baseplate

highoctane

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I used the Rockhard 4x4 winch plate for the oem Rubicon steel bumper and have zero interference between the winch clutch lever and the bumper. Plenty of room. Plus it was only $200. Much cheaper than the Mopar version and many of the other options as well.

582B0641-1800-41F2-A473-0DD3C760CFEF.jpeg

JCstud21

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Total look at mine installed!
Jeep Gladiator New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install IMG_0348

Sponsored

Dest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Could someone who relocated their solenoid/controls to inside the engine compartment annotate their wiring? Especially on the winch and on the solenoid? I just caught my battery on fire and the winch ran continuously, so I clearly have something wrong. Also what did you do with the 2 connections on the back of the winch? Thanks. X.X

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Could someone who relocated their solenoid/controls to inside the engine compartment annotate their wiring? Especially on the winch and on the solenoid? I just caught my battery on fire and the winch ran continuously, so I clearly have something wrong. Also what did you do with the 2 connections on the back of the winch? Thanks. X.X
use the search feature for warn interrupter or solenoid and you'll pull up a bunch of threads with pictures.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
I used the Rockhard 4x4 winch plate for the oem Rubicon steel bumper and have zero interference between the winch clutch lever and the bumper. Plenty of room. Plus it was only $200. Much cheaper than the Mopar version and many of the other options as well.

Jeep Gladiator New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install IMG_0348
I just got the Rockhard 4x4 plate yesterday. Hoping to get it installed this weekend. But I'm also hoping to move the control box like @Sorbs for a lower profile look. A buddy is much better at electrical stuff, so I'm hoping he can help me figure it out.

Dest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Just remember where each solenoid wire connects and don't forget your grounds and you should be fine.

airmax617

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I have been struggling whether to add a Warn power interrupt kit or a generic solenoid and connect to Aux switches. Called Warn today and they recommend to directly wire instead of using their kit. Same recommendation from HF on the Apex product.

Sounds like they thought this through and have a prepared answer...wondering why they don't like the relay additions. Any ideas as to why that's the company line?

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have been struggling whether to add a Warn power interrupt kit or a generic solenoid and connect to Aux switches. Called Warn today and they recommend to directly wire instead of using their kit. Same recommendation from HF on the Apex product.

Sounds like they thought this through and have a prepared answer...wondering why they don't like the relay additions. Any ideas as to why that's the company line?
The Badlands Apex came with a power kill switch. I installed mine just because it came with it. Not sure why they would recommend not using it. I mean technically you can just wire it up but why send it if you recommend not using it.

airmax617

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The Badlands Apex came with a power kill switch. I installed mine just because it came with it. Not sure why they would recommend not using it. I mean technically you can just wire it up but why send it if you recommend not using it.
Yes you're right, I thought I read somewhere wiring directly is fine too. The APEX instructions actually say to keep the switch in the off position when not in use. Do you keep yours off?

My comment stands about Warn -- saying to direct wire and i don't think they provide a kill switch or solenoid with their products.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you're right, I thought I read somewhere wiring directly is fine too. The APEX instructions actually say to keep the switch in the off position when not in use. Do you keep yours off?

My comment stands about Warn -- saying to direct wire and i don't think they provide a kill switch or solenoid with their products.
Yeah, I keep it in the off position. I figure if I head out to go wheel somewhere I'll just flip it to the on position before I leave that way it's ready to go

teleportJeep

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
I just installed my Apex and use the kill switch.
I didn’t have to move any controllers for my setup, easy setup.
Jeep Gladiator New Apex 12K Harbor Freight winch Install EC6A83F7-5C50-4560-84BB-D5A97E4C8D1D

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black

So if I want to connect aux switches, then you don't need to connect the interrupt kit? But then do I still need to turn it on and off? or the aux switch manage the power to it? and what about parasitic draw? if I have this thing connected to power, will the aux switch stop power to it, even if it's left on?
Sponsored