New Engine Needed at 42k miles!?!?!

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience. For the past month or so, I've had an audible ticking from my 2020 JTR with manual transmission that sped up during acceleration and slowed down during deceleration... I thought it was likely a leak of some sort from the exhaust manifold, nothing crazy. Yesterday while accelerating my car threw a check engine light.

Today I brought it into a local jeep dealership and I'm told the check engine light was tripped due to multiple cylinders misfiring and that when the tech drained the oil he found metal shavings in my oil pan. Jeep has now told me I need the motor replaced and that luckily it will be covered under my powertrain warranty... Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I had the heavy tick, and had read that for the most part they were swapping the engine out.
All together, waiting for a tech to diag, then on backordered parts, then waiting on the work, it was in the shop for a month.

My guess is either I got it in there before the damage was too bad, or there were no engines available, cause mine just got cams & rockers. all 4 cams, and every single rocker and lifter.

It still titters a little at start up, but it comes and goes and is not anywhere near as bad as the ticking/knocking I had before.

I was at about 35,000 miles.
The wife loved the Grand Cherokee loaner in the mean time, for what that's worth...

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I have heard a few with cam issues. They tick/rattle on acceleration. Some can be solved by a cleaning cycle performed with the starscan service tool and a resync of the cam to crank sensor. Some it is to late and the phazer eats itsel and the cam gets in a bad positon and is damaged

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience. For the past month or so, I've had an audible ticking from my 2020 JTR with manual transmission that sped up during acceleration and slowed down during deceleration... I thought it was likely a leak of some sort from the exhaust manifold, nothing crazy. Yesterday while accelerating my car threw a check engine light.

Today I brought it into a local jeep dealership and I'm told the check engine light was tripped due to multiple cylinders misfiring and that when the tech drained the oil he found metal shavings in my oil pan. Jeep has now told me I need the motor replaced and that luckily it will be covered under my powertrain warranty... Has anyone else had a similar experience?
They may be looking to collect the engine to try and determine the cause of the failures. Doing some applied failure analysis on a component that failed can work wonders on future defects and preventing them.

Sponsored

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
It's a known issue with Pentastars. It doesn't matter how you drive it, the issues just starts happening. A friends Dodge RAM Promaster died at 60K miles, complete engine failure like the OP.

OP
OP
mbbq22

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I appreciate the thoughts on the Grand Cherokee loaner, thats what I'm pushing for as we speak. Really bummed as I love this car and I'm definitely concerned about having to swap a new motor in. Also bummed because I had quite a bit of positive equity in it and I'm worried that may no longer be the case.

Any how, fingers crossed!

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I had the heavy tick, and had read that for the most part they were swapping the engine out.
All together, waiting for a tech to diag, then on backordered parts, then waiting on the work, it was in the shop for a month.

My guess is either I got it in there before the damage was too bad, or there were no engines available, cause mine just got cams & rockers. all 4 cams, and every single rocker and lifter.

It still titters a little at start up, but it comes and goes and is not anywhere near as bad as the ticking/knocking I had before.

I was at about 35,000 miles.
The wife loved the Grand Cherokee loaner in the mean time, for what that's worth...
My 3.6L idles kinda rough sometimes and I also thought I heard a ticking while driving with my windows down the other night. I assumed it was someone else’s vehicle near me.

I’ve never had a code show up on the dash, but I’ll have to try replicating that noise again tonight. Fingers crossed

~18k miles on the truck

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I appreciate the thoughts on the Grand Cherokee loaner, thats what I'm pushing for as we speak. Really bummed as I love this car and I'm definitely concerned about having to swap a new motor in. Also bummed because I had quite a bit of positive equity in it and I'm worried that may no longer be the case.

Any how, fingers crossed!
Why would you lose any equity? This has zero effect on your resale value. As long as it's fixed, no one will know or care. My compass got a new engine at like 40k. When we traded it in, to a Chrysler/Jeep dealer, no one asked or cared. Had a Subaru with a new engine once too. Same thing. No one cares come trade in time.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Did it tick all the time, or just acceleration/deceleration events? A few folks are reporting a noise upon acceleration only. And I'm just wondering if this is the same thing we're hearing? My dealership couldn't replicate my noise.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you lose any equity? This has zero effect on your resale value. As long as it's fixed, no one will know or care. My compass got a new engine at like 40k. When we traded it in, to a Chrysler/Jeep dealer, no one asked or cared. Had a Subaru with a new engine once too. Same thing. No one cares come trade in time.
Imagine buying a vehicle with 50,000 miles on it and the engine is only 8,000 miles old. Yeah, I could live with that.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imagine buying a vehicle with 50,000 miles on it and the engine is only 8,000 miles old. Yeah, I could live with that.
Yeah, whoever bought our compass got a steal. It had Maybe 12 or 15k on the new engine. But they won't ever even know it!

OP
OP
mbbq22

mbbq22

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Mine was a ticking noise that sped up or slowed down with the rpms...