First Name
K Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon white
Occupation
Business Owner
From day one some Jeep people were hollering at the Jeep owners asking why they didn't do a test drive or why they bought it that way and so on. In most cases, it won't show up instantly on a limited test drive. It even states in the TSB that it's worse at higher ambient temperatures so if you go out and test drive in November when it's 20 or 30 degrees, only go a few miles, it may indeed seem fine! The accusations were flying left and right....... it's your fault for buying a faulty vehicle, and all sorts of other BS.

There's a lot of crow being served and a lot of faces with egg on them out there now - including hundreds of dealer mechanics and others.
Maybe I am unnaturally tolerant of imperfection, but I didnt notice mine till I went up 2" and put on 35's. My dealer ordered the parts last week and set me up for install next week.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I am unnaturally tolerant of imperfection, but I didnt notice mine till I went up 2" and put on 35's. My dealer ordered the parts last week and set me up for install next week.
Makes some sense - more load on the steering components (not that they won't or shouldn't handle it EASILY) and it made it show up a bit more for you. Plus - the issue varies somewhat - play for some, wander for others, and for still others, a pull- or combination of any or all.

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Dealer told me today that they cant order the part until 20 Feb or later and quote “cannot guarantee we will honor the TSB if you lift it”.

good grief. 🙄🙄
I have been waiting since November, and they have told me the same thing. The $hit thing is I bought the truck in October. I was told I am 8-10 on the list and they are getting 'maybe' one a month for steering boxes. I have my lift and 35s waiting but they say they won't do the steering box if it is lifted.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I have been waiting since November, and they have told me the same thing. The $hit thing is I bought the truck in October. I was told I am 8-10 on the list and they are getting 'maybe' one a month for steering boxes. I have my lift and 35s waiting but they say they won't do the steering box if it is lifted.
it’s utterly ridiculous. They know the steering box is a problem and that enough people notice there is a dog-gone TSB. My truck was assessed and it was determined it needed the TSB. What f’ing difference does it make if it has a lift or not?

sigh.

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
it’s utterly ridiculous. They know the steering box is a problem and that enough people notice there is a dog-gone TSB. My truck was assessed and it was determined it needed the TSB. What f’ing difference does it make if it has a lift or not?

sigh.
I totally agree. Not only that, why the hell is FCA limiting the number of units shipped if THEY KNOW there is an issue? Is it going to have to take some serious accidents for this to turn into a recall where they will have to address this in a timely manner? Maybe that's a question for @JeepCares .......

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well that's just stupid as hell - won't do it if it's lifted but WILL do it as it sits? Did they READ the TSB at all? If the truck is within the service alignment specs, no problem. That means most quality lifts of ~2" should be fine. Weird that it qualifies now, they'll get the parts and do it - yet they won't if you change anything?
Where do these people come from??? Do they READ the bloody TSB at all? Or are they skimmers?
I see zero logic in their statements.

DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/Service Library, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If
Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are
present, record the issues on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further
with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
CAUTION! Verify that the steering gear part number is correct, as per the listed applications
bellow. Installation of the incorrect steering gear will lead to undesired handling
characteristics, and most likely not address the customer’s concern.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
NOTE: Vehicles that have professionally installed lift kits, that are within the limits of the
service wheel alignment specifications
, are eligible for the repair described in this
TSB. However, if the vehicle has been lifted or modified beyond the limits of the
service wheel alignment specifications, this TSB is not likely to address the
customer’s concern of wander, leads, and pulls.

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
My JTR and wife's JKUR both had steering gear replaced...noticeable difference. Parts took about 3 weeks, install on each about 3-4hrs, but dropped off/picked up on same day. Dealer didn't ask any questions, literally here is this TSB we want done, parts orders and fixed no issues.

L8TRG8TR

First Name
Gordo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon in Gator Green
Occupation
Government Contractor
I originally took my glad to my local dealership to have it looked at in mid October. After confirmation of the issue, I was told that the parts would arrive within about 2 weeks. They ended up having to place my vehicle in "VOR or Vehicle Off Road" status before being told that the parts would not arrive until Mid December. Once the parts were in, it took them about 2-3 hours to complete the install and had it back before noon. Tremendous difference especially with bumps and at high speeds.

I had also purchased the FOX "Performance Series 2.0 Smooth Body IFP Steering Stabilizer" before having the issue fixed, and with that combined with the new parts, its like driving a completely different vehicle. Highly recommend!

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_2948

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") IMG_2948

Bam!

So at freeway speeds, 98% of the play when tracking straight is now gone (YMMV). Can’t say I had huge problems like others experience (maybe an 1”, 1.5” of play at center noticeable more at freeway speeds).
I had the TSB done on Tuesday. I took a picture from behind the splash guard. I didn’t see anything quite like this.

Is there a different angle I should shoot from?

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 408E12A4-81DC-4F4F-8D0F-A9BC347EFD63

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
I had the TSB done on Tuesday. I took a picture from behind the splash guard. I didn’t see anything quite like this.

Is there a different angle I should shoot from?

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 408E12A4-81DC-4F4F-8D0F-A9BC347EFD63
Behind the driver side tire lift up the plastic sheild near the coil spring. It's just ahead of it.
Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20210109_153409

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Behind the driver side tire lift up the plastic sheild near the coil spring. It's just ahead of it.
Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 20210109_153409
Looks like you have the brace on yours.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So mechanically why is this better?

Readyt

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rimtyme.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Franchise Business Consultant
Went to the dealer two weeks ago, complained about the steering, the new steering gear came in on Monday and installed on Friday. Now steering wheel is tilted to the left.

PJM86

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ7, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Went to the dealer two weeks ago, complained about the steering, the new steering gear came in on Monday and installed on Friday. Now steering wheel is tilted to the left.
Mine was off to the right...just adjust your drag link. Not a hard fix, and easier than going back.
Sponsored