Sponsored

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
For anyone that thinks this should be a recall - open a case on the NHTSA site. Even if you consider yours fixed by the new box open a case and include the fix.

FCA is going to be more likely to recall if the NHTSA is aware of the problem as asking them questions.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone that thinks this should be a recall - open a case on the NHTSA site. Even if you consider yours fixed by the new box open a case and include the fix.

FCA is going to be more likely to recall if the NHTSA is aware of the problem as asking them questions.
Yes - as for some folks this could be a safety issue, for others, marginally so. But if it's as bad as I seem to be seeing for some, those folks should make contact.

HOWEVER, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is NOT the place to complain about HVAC or as some folks have suggested doing - engine issues! SAFETY, life and limb issues are what the NHTSA deals with, not comfort or inconveniences.

Hoods flying open, doors not latching, brakes failing, wiring burning, tires popping, seat belt latch problems, Pinto gas tanks etc.
This is an example of 2.1 MILLION vehicles from this year - Doors may not securely close on certain Fiesta, Fusion, Mustang, Escape, C-Max, Focus, Transit Connect, Lincoln MKZ & MKC vehicles. These vehicles were previously recalled, however the repair may not have been completed properly.
Not sure if they were involved with the millions of sun roofs flying off of Mercedes vehicles or not....

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Apologies if this has been covered but I don’t have the horsepower to motor through 39 pages. My JTR was built in Feb 20 and I don’t perceive the steering to be a problem. (My previous trucks were solid axle one tons so maybe my tolerance is high.)

Should I take advantage of the upgrade after you guys that have real problems get the seemingly limited number of parts. Any reason not to upgrade?
Same month mine was built. This TSB replaces the steering box with a different part number. If it steers fine now, then it's your choice. Seems the new box is much better. I plan on bringing mine in as it wanders quite a bit more than my wifes JKU. I have 5 vehicles with solid axle fronts, this gladiator has sloppy steering.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
*Update* My vehicle has been at the dealer for a week. Dropped off on (8/24). They were changing the pitman arm also. Not sure why a 1.9 hour job according to the TSB would take all week. Frustrated to say the least. @JeepCares is involved.
They probably buggered up the original pitman arm trying to remove it from the sector shaft. In my experience new steering box and pitman arms are easier to remove, but they can still take considerable force. Sounds like they are doing a good job and not giving you back something less than perfect.

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
Tuesday............."
My first, "drop truck off & fix my steering problem", appointment is Monday the 31st.

I went in before with the TSB and I asked for the SW update but nothing happened, they didn't like seeing me with a TSB.

Should I go to this appointment with the TSB printed and "customer says" point highlighted?

I plan on bringing mine in as it wanders quite a bit more than my wifes JKU. I have 5 vehicles with solid axle fronts, this gladiator has sloppy steering.
Thanks for sharing. Do you plan on doing the TSB for the JKU too?

Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
So I still don’t completely understand how the computer stuff works. Will the “restore configuration” revert back to factory settings? I had the Mopar speedometer recalibration when I went to 35’s?!
I had my speedometer and TPMS adjusted by a local shop when I upgraded to 35s, before I went in for the TSB fix. After I picked up my JT looks like my settings went back to factory :(

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They probably buggered up the original pitman arm trying to remove it from the sector shaft. In my experience new steering box and pitman arms are easier to remove, but they can still take considerable force. Sounds like they are doing a good job and not giving you back something less than perfect.
Oh, boy - I should take photos of a pitman arm puller - a Kent Moore tool, AMC shops used. HEAVY tool to be sure. If you bust that, I don't want to fight you!

At least his shop is making really sure - no matter if they messed it up or they suspected an issue, NOW is the time.
I hope they go over mine with a fine-tooth comb. I suggested everything be checked for torque, whatever, while they had it there. I went through things and checked, but......... I don't mind having my work double-checked, either.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had my speedometer and TPMS adjusted by a local shop when I upgraded to 35s, before I went in for the TSB fix. After I picked up my JT looks like my settings went back to factory :(
Could be - they remove a certain code, make the fix, update software, then put the code back if I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, don't quote me on it..... if that code was anything to do with stock settings for your model JT - I could see it happening.
MAYBE if your shop is nice they'll fix it for you.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My first, "drop truck off & fix my steering problem", appointment is Monday the 31st.

I went in before with the TSB and I asked for the SW update but nothing happened, they didn't like seeing me with a TSB.

Should I go to this appointment with the TSB printed and "customer says" point highlighted?

Thanks for sharing. Do you plan on doing the TSB for the JKU too?
I literally pointed to that line and laughed and said - "I really like the last line FCA has on this - " and made sure they saw that line.
YES, the TSB says they are to do some other checks - checks for codes, software - can't recall the details, but they ARE to check the vehicle, not do it blindly - still, if there are no codes and you are at the correct rev on everything else - then refer to that last line.
Factory says to check certain things FIRST - so a shop that's just pulling the thing in, swapping parts, and driving it out are NOT following instructions.
But if they follow the instructions to the letter and find no OTHER issues such as stored codes or software issues, it should say "see last line, page 1" LOL

techteacher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT '20 White Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Why did you remove everything? Warranty void I'm guessing? have a synergy brace and a fox stabilizer. Do you think I should remove mine so they don't void the warranty?
This is what they wrote a couple of weeks back (pre-TSB). Didn't want to take any chances.

IMG_20200828_123826.jpg

Sponsored

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
This is what they wrote a couple of weeks back (pre-TSB). Didn't want to take any chances.

IMG_20200828_123826.jpg
Interesting their recommendation was to return to stock to “improve drive quality”. My dealership installed my Mooar lift on it and immediately I complained that the wandering and steering seemed really worse off. Initially they said it was probably because it was now lifted. Fortunately the parts manager does read the forums and chatter online and said he’d heard about the steering issues in both the JL’s and JT’s, and since there was nothing official from FCA yet they installed what he referred to as a bandaid “for now” the Fox Steering Stablizer for free for me. He actually predicted back in January that they’ll probably come up with a computer software update as a fix but in the meantime he hoped the stabilizer would be a temporary fix. It helped for sure as it brought it back “to stock”.

That said, the inconsistencies between one service department and another is one that still baffles me. These steering issues exists as a spectrum from really bad to not as bad. Nonetheless, now that I know what it feels like to have one with the TSB fix, they should all drive equally well.

I spoke with the sales manager about this and said to him that reviews outside of what is discussed on the forums usually talk about the steering being off...having this fix should boost sales as the person on the fence may decided to not purchase because they don’t like how it feels to drive. Hopefully all new builds coming off the production line have this new steering box and updated software.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe it helps that the dealer I went to for this work (not where I bought it) has modified JTs on the lot...... saw one just a few yards from the shop that was a sport - I looked that their sticker next to the sticker and it said "2" MOPAR lift, 17" wheels (they were black) 35" tires (and they listed something else)
So if nothing else I could have said - so what do you do if a customer had the issue with THAT truck? Tell them it's because of the lift and tires that YOU put on?

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
So I still don’t completely understand how the computer stuff works. Will the “restore configuration” revert back to factory settings? I had the Mopar speedometer recalibration when I went to 35’s?!
Why not give your guys a call and ask really quick? You've already paid them to do it once and now they're fixing something that is borked from the factory. If it does reset it then maybe they'll be obliged to set the changes back for you free of charge?

Just 1 observation though, I customized my little 4" driver's panel or w/e you want to call the screen between speedo and rev. The customizations I did in there are all still there after the flash, so maybe you'll be good anyways?

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Why not give your guys a call and ask really quick? You've already paid them to do it once and now they're fixing something that is borked from the factory. If it does reset it then maybe they'll be obliged to set the changes back for you free of charge?

Just 1 observation though, I customized my little 4" driver's panel or w/e you want to call the screen between speedo and rev. The customizations I did in there are all still there after the flash, so maybe you'll be good anyways?
Do you have a Tazer? Maybe that could be different. My shop used a computer to update my settings. I probably should have went with a Tazer in the first place. I think I'll ask the shop to install a Tazer and have them credit my money that I paid for adjusting the speedometer and TPMS

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
Why isn't it just a recall part to get replaced/fixed...wouldn't it be considered a saftey issue?
Sponsored