Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares your brand is suffering here. This should be a recall and your customers should not be fighting incompetent dealer service departments to get a fix for the products flawed design. Jeep dealership service is the worst aspect of the Jeep experience.

Please give this feedback to whichever executive cares about this sort of thing. Ford is releasing a product that will take from your market share so now would be a good time to remove this noise and satisfy your current and future clients.
You'll not see this as a recall for multiple reasons. Jeep has handled it and given orders. This is a DEALER issue now, it's in the laps of the dealers. GIVE ANY DEALER WHO REFUSES ALL ZEROs (0) on any survey you get - that will get their attention. You may even get a call from Jeep customer care, I did.

Since it's not a drastic safety issue and it's not impacting ALL Jeep JTs and Wranglers, you won't find it being a recall. That takes a whole lot more, plus the company is then forced to work with the NHTSA - ain't gonna happen.

The TSB is VERY SPECIFIC, VERY CLEAR. Let any refusing dealer know you are advertising their name and calling corporate and complaining.
Again, any survey - all 0s
Those mean a lot to them as far as their status with Jeep corporate - I was told directly what happens if they get too many of those, even one bad one can get them a rep asking what's up.

Check the post by mounstainpass - that's the way to deal with these people.
Jeep has addressed it and made it plain and clear - nowhere does it mention a lift, tires, springs, shocks or any other modification. It says if the customer complains, check for these codes, check for this software, if that's ok, FIX IT.
That's the bottom line - the dealership is told to fix it.

Jeep has addressed it. They have given orders.
It's in the laps of the dealers now.

I didn't even BUY from the dealer I went to - showed them the TSB, pointed to the bottom line, it's now got the new steering gear. THIS IS A MONEY-MAKER for them! They don't even have to PROVE to corporate there's a problem! Anyone can walk in and say my Jeep wanders, point to the TSB. Dealer orders parts, dealer replaces parts, dealer makes money. It's that simple. They don't have to prove a thing! They don't even have to tell FCA if the Jeep was lifted or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They put down the customer name, VIN, when it was done, you signed off on it, they submit the paperwork, they get full reimbursement for the parts and the work. No mention to corporate of any tires or lift.
How much easier can it be for a dealer to make money??
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What is your MDH #? It's on driver door frame.
Doesn't matter - if his JT is a 2021 model year Jeep has confirmed it's the new box. He can even look at the part number and color.
2020 will not have it, 2021 WILL have it, it's been confirmed already.

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Doesn't matter - if his JT is a 2021 model year Jeep has confirmed it's the new box. He can even look at the part number and color.
2020 will not have it, 2021 WILL have it, it's been confirmed already.
Yes I know that I'm just curious when the 2021's went into production.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It’s past time we name and shame bad dealers and reward the good ones with our business
The dealer that did mine was
Dewey Dodge Jeep on the south side of Ankeny, Iowa. Right off I35, south of Karl Chevrolet.
When I picked mine up the service writer told me that they had another come in with the same type issue while they were doing mine. The guy said "looks like they are starting to roll in now"
I told him that I spread the word on dealers that do well by me and I'd be telling folks that you don't argue about it.

They are a smaller shop - still corporate owned by some outfit out of Texas I believe, owned by the same company that owns Stew Hansen Dodge/Jeep in West Des moines but they are too big for my liking and you don't get the same personal service in the shop as you do at Dewey.
Stew Hansen are also more likely to say "it's a Jeep thing" - but Stew doesn't sell anything modified and will not do lifts or tire changes or other mods - Dewey does and will - and does them right off the truck, too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigOrangeCat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Peek in the driver side wheel well and take a gander at the steering gear/box. If you see silver, it's aluminum and should be replaced under the TSB. If its black, it's the new box in steel and you are good to go. A big issue with the aluminum is due to the properties of the metal, especially under higher than average temperatures. AL expands and contracts more than does steel, causing some inherent sloppiness.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Peek in the driver side wheel well and take a gander at the steering gear/box. If you see silver, it's aluminum and should be replaced under the TSB. If its black, it's the new box in steel and you are good to go. A big issue with the aluminum is due to the properties of the metal, especially under higher than average temperatures. AL expands and contracts more than does steel, causing some inherent sloppiness.
You also likely read the part of the TSB where they mention "........especially at higher ambient temperatures........" or words to that effect. Likely they found something heat related, too. Maybe I didn't notice it so much on mine as most of the miles went on in our winter months, including my longer trips to Indiana, Nebraska, etc. Summer drives were shorter and fewer.

By the way, here's my big orange cat - I don't see yours..........

Jeep Gladiator New JT Gladiator Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") yawnie-me-sleepin

r2down22go

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, but Traded for a Rubicon
Occupation
R&D
Vehicle Showcase

r2down22go

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
R&D
Vehicle Showcase
So are they replacing the entire box, or just some gears and bolts?

Sponsored

r2down22go

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
R&D
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The "steering gear" is the term used for the whole "box" (as internet people and non-mechanics call it.)

So you get the steering gear, the 4 bolts that hold it to the frame since the new one uses 4 of the same size while the original used two that were smaller than the other two, and you get a new bolt that holds the steering shaft to the input side of the steering gear.

The term steering gear is the whole assembly.

Go to post 797 on page 54 of this thread to see the thing they replace - great pic of the old and new steering gear.

Last edited:

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Got the TSB done on mine today at LHM Jeep in Riverdale UT. No hassles, and a perfect job as far as I can tell (I crawled under, over and around). They also did a PCM update that my JT was due (beyond the TSB update). Could not have asked for a better response. :clap:

The Service manager was very familiar with the issue. He told me that the new steering box was a new design with a different sector shaft. He explained that the old version of the box was having problems becoming loose (which I took as gear lash coming out of adjustment).

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Well I just picked up my Glad and when I looked at the part number on the work order it wasn’t what I thought it should be. So when I get home I look up the TSB and the part is for the 2 door JL....

@JeepCares can you please help me out?
Sponsored