Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I would like to reach out and ask those of you that have had this done:
  • What diagnostic was required by your dealer before the TSB was performed?
  • Did your Jeep dealer require you to leave the vehicle with them overnight/for duration of the day so they can diagnose?
Seems unnecessary to leave the vehicle with them when it takes less than 30secs to visually verify the steering box is silver in color - maybe 0.5hrs (generous) to check vehicle with scan tool.
That's all the criteria outlined in the TSB, as published, to classify a vehicle for repair.....

Is this on par with everyone's experience?
At first my dealer couldn't even find the TSB (at least so they said) and said the steering felt normal for the vehicle. I respectfully disagreed and told her I know there is an improved box available. At this point I took it home. The service writer talked to the tech more, did some digging, and found the TSB. She called me and told me she had found it and that they would order the parts. Brought it back and in half a day it was swapped out.
Sponsored

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
I asked my dealer to check it when I took it in for a jeep wave oil change. When I picked it up they told me that the tech validated the complaint and they ordered the parts. No idea what that validation process was, if anything.
Ditto. Had to involve Jeep Cares to get the parts because of back orders, etc. They actually got things handled for me. Dropped off in the morning, and got my free rental, and got a call that afternoon to pick it up. Noticeable difference for me. And the tech made sure my steering wheel was straight. All in all, I'd say that Jeep and the dealer took care of the issue with a small amount of frustration on my part. Sorry for all of you having a different experience.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
  • Did your Jeep dealer require you to leave the vehicle with them overnight/for duration of the day so they can diagnose?
Seems unnecessary to leave the vehicle with them when it takes less than 30secs to visually verify the steering box is silver in color - maybe 0.5hrs (generous) to check vehicle with scan tool.
That's all the criteria outlined in the TSB, as published, to classify a vehicle for repair.....

My dealer took it for a test drive the day I brought it in, then ordered the parts the same day. Got it fixed a week later. They gave me a loaner and and it took 4 hours.

RMV_Gator

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Aerospace
I asked my dealer to check it when I took it in for a jeep wave oil change. When I picked it up they told me that the tech validated the complaint and they ordered the parts. No idea what that validation process was, if anything.

Tried this same approach during my first oil change.
Was told, "NOPE, you'll need another appoint to leave it with us all day".
Maybe the trained set of eye's had that day off

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech

My dealer did not do any diagnostic at all. I talked to the service advisor (I had a copy of the TSB) and he spoke to the service manager. Approval was granted and the parts were ordered and the work done.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)

When I had it in for an oil change and the (1st) clutch recall, I had a copy of the TSB with me and said I wanted it done. The invoice for that day simply said something to the effect that customer experienced wandering and the TSB would be done when parts arrive. AFAIK, they didn't drive it or scrutinize my claim at all. Two weeks later they called that the parts were in . I scheduled a visit and it was done.

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, 2017 AMG C43
My dealer did not do any diagnostic at all. I talked to the service advisor (I had a copy of the TSB) and he spoke to the service manager. Approval was granted and the parts were ordered and the work done.
This is almost exactly how it went for me too. Tech didn't re-check steering wheel alignment though. Drove it off the lot, turned around a mile down the road and left it with them overnight. It was straightened out and ready to go the next morning by 10a. Still disappointed with the steering however - does not have the same feel as the '21 we test drove at a competing dealer.

RMV_Gator

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Aerospace
Thanks everyone for your input. It would appear that my dealership is just trying to be inconvenient to avoid having to deal with it. Maybe i might try another in my area to see if i get a different experience.

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe

I left mine for an oil change and had mentioned both when making the appointment and when dropping it off about the steering TSB,
When I picked it up, there was nothing on the paperwork about the steering.
I called in, and after several minutes on hold, was told i'd be on the list for a steering box. I honestly think they never checked it and were covering their butts. Plus, there really isn't any checking to do per the TSB.
After waiting over a month, and seeing many others getting steering boxes, Jeep Cares made sure the dealer had parts for me. It's much more pleasant to drive now. Still a Jeep, but a better driving experience.

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
If you got the service done, ensure you check the torque of the Pitman nut and the 4 steering box bolts.

I immediately installed the Synergy Sector shaft brace after the TSB because I had already bought it.
**To my surprise, the pitman arm nut was only hand tightened and the 4 steering box bolts were not torqued to spec. **I mention this because I too was not impressed with the steering feel after I had got it done.

Sponsored

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Check the pinch bolts for the drag link adjuster as well.

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
Got my truck Friday. Drove for 230 miles. Much better now

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
At first my dealer couldn't even find the TSB (at least so they said) and said the steering felt normal for the vehicle. I respectfully disagreed and told her I know there is an improved box available. At this point I took it home. The service writer talked to the tech more, did some digging, and found the TSB. She called me and told me she had found it and that they would order the parts. Brought it back and in half a day it was swapped out.
Same problem with the Jeep store that sold us our Wrangler.

Cause:
In Canada I needed to make an appointment for service, in spite of what the TSB said.
Video shows the test route. It was only 6 minutes long. Slow (hit 35 mph once.) Smooth pavement, in an area with no traffic.

They said they took a new vehicle in stock out. It was fine. Mine was fine. They refused to swap the steering gear.
(I had given them the TSB, highlighted. And I had complained there for more than a year, from the day we picked it up new.)

So...I contacted @JeepCares and they referred me to FCA Jeep Canada Customer Cares. Both were really helpful.

Steering gear was replaced at another dealer.

db305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Max Tow
i had my steering box replaced in november about 5.5k miles ago. over the last 2 weeks the steering loosened up significantly and i had to hold at 11 o'clock to track straight. took it in yesterday and it turns out that the replacement box also failed. thankfully they had one on hand in the shop and replaced it, but if you notice the steering getting weird after the tsb, the journey might not be over.

Stonesolo

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport S
Occupation
Printer
So finally the dealership call and tells me the parts came in for the steering box. They said it will be about a 4 hr job and I'll need to drop it off. They also said that they never did one on the gladiator yet. I have a scared feeling in my stomach now. It shouldn't be a big deal right?:crying:
Sponsored