First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
As a follow up, after numerous attempts over several days, I finally reached a human in the service department. After a lengthy descussion, they now claim the TSB is not for my VIN.
It's a 2020 Rubicon that was purchased in May 2020. The TSB seems to imply all 2020 models.
Sadly there are no other Jeep dealers in a resonable driving distance,
Hi there. We can dig into this further with you. Please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jonsheritahe04

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2018 F250 Super Duty
Occupation
IT Support
My new Jeep is driving so much better (night and day change) now that I released the extra 4 to 7 lb's of air from tires and got her back to the specification. May have helped had I read that manual thing sooner to compare to the values in the info screen. Think I will actual read the rest of the OM over the next few days. šŸ¤”

Sponsored

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
Mine steered better with the LT255/75/17 BFG KM2s mud tires than the stock P245/75/17 Bridgestone Dueler highway tires that it came with. Since I have the new box, I've never put the stock tires back on to try them.

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I had this issue fixed today along with a steering input shaft that was popping. NIGHT and DAY difference in steering now! Tight and responsive. Well worth pursuing if you can!

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
So I decided to see how good/bad my service department is at Virginia Beach Jeep Hall and Chrysler. I took my Jeep in on Friday and told them my Jeep wanders on the road and has a lead pull. The Service Manager told me they will take a look and advise. Never once did I mention the TSB, since I wanted to see what they would tell me (playing dumb).
A few hours goes by and I finally get a phone call the Service Manager tells me, "well sir, we found the problem, it looks like you wore out your steering box with all the off-roading.". I replied back with "what, that doesn't even make sense". He then said " "Don't worry tho, we took care of it by upgrading your steering box with the steel one and we did the TSB on it for you. And your Jeep is ready for pickup". I said, "damn, that was fast, I'm out of town and won't be back till Monday.". Picked up today and all is right with the world.
I love my Jeep service department in Virginia Beach!

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
A follow up after driving a week with the new steering box. I have noticed some differences, it is easier not keep on the road that is for sure. The wheel tracks back to zero, I can actually steer my truck and honestly I was so used to making big steering inputs I now oversteer. That's just me getting used driving with a more sensitive wheel now. However, there is a change that was not expected, not bad by any means but there is a considerable change. I have noticed that my truck actually has a tighter turning radius now. U-turns or tight turn that I made in the past I now make them a lot easier and this is not by a small margin either, it is very noticeable. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or not but I would love to hear of anyone else has had the same results.

Sponsored

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
A follow up after driving a week with the new steering box. I have noticed some differences, it is easier not keep on the road that is for sure. The wheel tracks back to zero, I can actually steer my truck and honestly I was so used to making big steering inputs I now oversteer. That's just me getting used driving with a more sensitive wheel now. However, there is a change that was not expected, not bad by any means but there is a considerable change. I have noticed that my truck actually has a tighter turning radius now. U-turns or tight turn that I made in the past I now make them a lot easier and this is not by a small margin either, it is very noticeable. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this or not but I would love to hear of anyone else has had the same results.
That's odd. I can't imaging the new box having more angle range than the old one. Was the old box steel or aluminum?

Len

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That's odd. I can't imaging the new box having more angle range than the old one. Was the old box steel or aluminum?
It was the original alu box. Upgraded to the steel. I agree, that's why I said something. The crazy thing is that it is very noticeable.

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
It was the original alu box. Upgraded to the steel. I agree, that's why I said something. The crazy thing is that it is very noticeable.
I believe the jl box has a different gear ratio. Check the part # on the sticker thatā€™s on the box. I bet u got one of those.

RemodelMonster

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 CC LB 4X4 PS, Chevy Bolt,
Occupation
General Contractor - remodeling Bathrooms and Kitchens
Just following up on this thread where I've been pissing and moaning about the dealerships' response to my wandering steering.

After 2 bad experiences with Jeep Cares agents, I tried again and got a great one. Leann is a good communicator and stayed on top of the situation. She did regular follow up with me and got my steering gear replaced. Night and Day difference!!!

Now, to be fair, I can't say with certainty that it was just the change to the steel steering gear as a basic alignment was also done and it's possible that the tech properly adjusted the screw/lock UT assembly on the new steering gear - which may have not been properly adjusted on the aluminum steering gear.

In any case, my truck steering is tight and I am no longer afraid to drive in a carpool Lane up against the concrete wall. Also no trouble keeping it in its Lane.

My suggestion, if your truck is bugging you every time you drive it, especially on longer trips, then try and get the steel steering gear replaced per the TSB. If the dealerships tell you that you are not eligible, read the actual TSB to verify that and also look at your current steering gear (box). If it is aluminum, it's probably a good sign that you are eligible.

If you continue to have trouble getting it done, try Jeep Cares. Don't get discouraged if you get an unresponsive or aggravating agent, keep trying until you get a good one. That makes all the difference!

Sad part is that it sort of took 4-5 weeks of leaving my truck and phone calls and waiting for appts when the actual repair only takes 1.9 hours (this per the TSB).

Night and Day difference!

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I had my steering gear replaced and itā€™s been great. Huge difference. I did however have a clunk develop in my steering. The dealership found a worn drag link. Clunk gone and itā€™s even tighter now. Surprisingly tight. It feels better than ever and I thought it felt good after the new steering gear.
Sponsored