Sponsored

New owner, with a little buyers remorse.

OP
OP

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
Wow everyone thank you so much for your responses. I’ll be sure to send some muddy pics soon.

looks like my original plan of just throwing some 33s on it with a spacer lift will work. I’ll keep everyone updated. Some of these old logging roads and mining roads are pretty brutal. I guess it’s just a matter of learning a new vehicle. The JK willys went everywhere I wanted it to go.
Sponsored

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Lack of lockers, lack of sway bar disconnect, no winch (which I have a solution for sitting in a box at home already.), highway tires, less ground clearance, a multitude of things which I’m not sure I really need, but have been happy to have when I felt like I needed them.
I had my suspicions this what you were going to say. So many people put Rubicons on a pedestal as they are some how vastly different and superior. FWIW, the front and rear lockers and the 4:1 transfer case is really the biggest difference between the two that you can't readily change in your driveway. The Rubicon trim was entirely developed and sold as basically being a list of popular Jeep mods already installed and covered by the factory warranty. Through successful marketing and the Jeep community itself the Rubicon has developed more of a status symbol more than anything else.

Here's a list of what the Rubicon has vs your Overland
-1.5" wider axles
-4.10 gearing vs your 3.73
-Stock 32.8" tires vs your 32.2" tires
-Electronic disconnect sway bar
-4:1 transfer case
-Rock rails
-Steel front skid plate instead of plastic air dam
-Fox shocks and stiffer springs (around 1" taller vs yours due to being stiffer)
-and extra Tow hook in the rear
-a stylized hood with fake vents
-A boat load of red accents and graphics.

As I said before, other than the lockers and the transfer case you can pretty much do the rest yourself in your driveway for a lot less than what a similarly equipped Rubicon would of cost to your Overland.

OP
OP

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
Be careful with the tires. Remember that heavier tires WILL cause you to loose MPG, in addition to torque response. I recently swapped back to the stock bridgestone dueler ATs and have enjoyed 20-21mpg and the moderate off road capability they provide.

I have a set of 255/75/17 Continental Terrain contact AT tires sitting in my garage ready to be installed next week. They weight 39lbs each, so only a moderate increase in weight, and offer a nice tread that is supposed to be great for on and off road application according to all the reviews on youtube and such.

as for a lift...A simple spacer lift like the AEV kit or Iron Rock off road kit will suffice for making it feel more like a truck with out making you go broke.

If you decide to tow...airlift 1000 bags are a MUST for the softer overland rear springs. They will change your life.

welcome to it! Enjoy the JT :fist bump::jk:
I do tow a little here and there, trailers and construction equipment. Nothing enormous, a bobcat here, a backhoe there. The payload is actually not that great in the wagon as compared to the gladiator.

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I only have 550 miles on my overland but i've done some driving in wet gravel areas and the LSD makes a dang good difference. Lockers may be even better major down side is you have to use them. The LSD is just always there.

I'm not a hardcore offroader but there are plenty of good tires in the stock size that would treat you well. I did a lot of off roading in a 96 ranger with decent tires. Even with 2wd and open diff i got myself through a lot of areas that I really shouldn't have been.

OP
OP

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
I had my suspicions this what you were going to say. So many people put Rubicons on a pedestal as they are some how vastly different and superior. FWIW, the front and rear lockers and the 4:1 transfer case is really the biggest difference between the two that you can't readily change in your driveway. The Rubicon trim was entirely developed and sold as basically being a list of popular Jeep mods already installed and covered by the factory warranty. Through successful marketing and the Jeep community itself the Rubicon has developed more of a status symbol more than anything else.

Here's a list of what the Rubicon has vs your Overland
-1.5" wider axles
-4.10 gearing vs your 3.73
-Stock 32.8" tires vs your 32.2" tires
-Electronic disconnect sway bar
-4:1 transfer case
-Rock rails
-Steel front skid plate instead of plastic air dam
-Fox shocks and stiffer springs (around 1" taller vs yours due to being stiffer)
-and extra Tow hook in the rear
-A boat load of red accents and graphics.

As I said before, other than the lockers and the transfer case you can pretty much do the rest yourself in your driveway for a lot less than what a similarly equipped Rubicon would of cost to your Overland.
Again, your making me feel better friend!

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
This is part of the crux of why I made my post. I also don’t know how capable the LSD would be and I’m not sure if installing some ARB lockers would be worth the price. I guess I’ll find out, but finding out the hard way and having to walk out of the woods a few miles does not sound likebdub

Lack of lockers, lack of sway bar disconnect, no winch (which I have a solution for sitting in a box at home already.), highway tires, less ground clearance, a multitude of things which I’m not sure I really need, but have been happy to have when I felt like I needed them.
Jeep people have a hard-on for lockers but I'm willing to bet most of the people here in a Rubicon would get outdriven by a good driver in your truck with good tires. The BLD is not Toyota ATRAC good but it's good enough for most situations where a locker used to be required. You are in the WV woods so any scenario where you need lockers would be equally served by a winch that will have far more utility for you.

It sounds like you've already got that covered and from my personal experience in your neck of the woods, I used the locker in my Tacoma once in two years. I scraped the shit out of my skids every time I went out. Lift over lockers 100% unless you're already cracking diffs for new gears (which I can guarantee you will want with 35's coming from a PW).

Which reminds me and I'm sure you're aware... armoring up isn't a bad idea. The gas tank skid will do fine but the rest is woefully unprotected. I got super lucky one weekend when I slipped off my line in the rain.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I do tow a little here and there, trailers and construction equipment. Nothing enormous, a bobcat here, a backhoe there. The payload is actually not that great in the wagon as compared to the gladiator.
@ShadowsPapa can give you more insight as he went through towing with overland springs. He ended up getting max tow take off rear springs for his since they are the same height as the stock overland springs, just progressive rate so better for towing/hauling.

Just the same the air bags will make a huge difference in feel of the payload.

also....

If your after rubi rock sliders and all just keep your eyes on the forum. They regularly come up for sale. If there is one thing common with rubicon owners it's that they buy the most expensive truck and immediately stirp all the expensive stuff off to replace it with more expensive stuff.

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I've had an Overland since Feb. 2020 and have no remorse whatsoever, for several reasons. First off, I wanted a nicer interior - this is my daily driver, so I got the leather interior, hard top, upgraded Alpine sound, etc. Do I go off-roading? Absolutely. Should that be the primary factor in choosing a make/model when buying a $50k vehicle? Not in my opinion.

To the OP - if you do some searching on here, you'll find that MANY Overland owners (myself included) have done minor-to-major mods to their rides and found them to be extremely capable. The absolute true test for me was back in March of this year when I enlisted in the Jeep Adventure Academy - my Overland (with a 2" level kit and 285/75/18s on the OEM wheel) did 100% of everything that every other Jeep in program did - even those with huge lift kits, much larger tires, etc. In fact, one Wrangler with a huge lift and tires got stuck on an obstacle that my JT handled quite well (not sure if the Wrangler's issue was vehicle, driver, or both).

To each his (or her) own, of course - I have taken my Overland off-roading several times and it has absolutely not let me down at any time. It is extremely capable.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
The Overland is more than capable with a little more aggressive AT's.

Otay Rock garden 3.jpg

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about you find some take-off Rubicon or Mojave wheels and tires. Spend the $1800ish and if it makes a difference you aren't out too much.

And you can probably sell your overland wheels/tires for $1000.

After that, maybe have a limited slip put in the rear.

Sponsored

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
How about you find some take-off Rubicon or Mojave wheels and tires. Spend the $1800ish and if it makes a difference you aren't out too much.

And you can probably sell your overland wheels/tires for $1000.

After that, maybe have a limited slip put in the rear.
WOW, those are the tire prices in the NE? Rubi and Mojave take offs sell all day long here for $800 - $1,200.

You almost can't even give away the Overland tires though. I've been watching several sets locally go from $500 down to around $200 for the whole set. If they go any lower I might grab 'em and sell them off as singles for those who are looking for a matching spare. I need one myself. I changed my tires, but kept the Overland wheels and I gave my tires away since I knew I wasn't going to get jack for them anyway.

Midnight Rider

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, RIP.
Occupation
Senior Construction Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Sport S, non max tow. I bought preowned, got lucky & found one with Willys take off wheels & tires. My opinion is that any Gladiator & Wrangler is already very capable off road for probably 90% of buyers. Would I like to have Rubicon? Yes - it & the Mojave are incredible out of the box. But what I ended up with checks 95% of the boxes for me & someone else took the hit on depreciation. In the end it’s yours. Make whatever mods you want & enjoy it. And welcome to the family!

TheGerman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
IT

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My some what buyers remosre for my overland is the payload. My door tag says 1005 lbs.

My WRX gross vehicle weight is 4,475 and it's curb weight is around 3,250 which puts it's payload at 1,225. That's kind of embarrassing.

flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry
Greetings community! My name is Ben, and I am the owner of a new gladiator overland.

First of all, I have an hour commute to work. The mileage was pretty terrible and I’d get from 10-12mpg. I can’t fault the truck for that, I knew that getting into it, but regardless it was still a factor. I don’t do any, what I call, “on purpose” off-roading. I’m outdoors a significant amount camping, fishing and hunting. Because of my location, the majority of this requires miles of traveling in, let’s say, less than ideal circumstances. There is no way I could get an open differential 2wd vehicle in to and out of the places I typically go. Not to mention my job requires that I be there, and on the days we get some snow in the winter I can’t stay home. These things all made me very happy to have the PW. In fact, I was looking to trade for a new PW when I saw this gladiator being pulled off the truck.
Hi Ben, my name is Ben and I also have an Overland (High Alt). Welcome to the community!

Nothing you describe here requires a single modification to an Overland Gladiator. It doesn't require a single thing that a PW has that a Gladiator in any trim does not have. Towing boats, snowy trails, non-rock-crawling off roading -- I have done all of these things in my Overland, and that's with the 20" HA wheels.

Don't get mod envy. With standard 4WD, stock Gladiator in any trim is a very capable truck.
Sponsored