Sponsored

New owner, with a little buyers remorse.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sport MT. Name a trail in southern CA, I've done it. Well, not the most extreme hammers trails like CT, backdoor, or buggy trails, but I've done everything a rationally minded person would attempt; sans lockers. You'll be fine. My advice is to get to 37s immediately.
Not on the stock Overland gears........ fine for Sport with max tow (4.10 ratio) but the 3.73 just ain't cut out for 37" tires. No way in hell I'd go over 35 on these gears, not and expect to haul or pull any real weight.

I'm not sure why right off the bat everyone says "BIGGER TIRES!!!" - why? Especially jumping to 37's when hundreds of forum members are fine on 33 or 35" tires. I guess bigger tires = something else?
Unless they hit some of the harder trails, what's wrong with 33" tires - other than the mega-testosterone Jeep crowd insists they are for wimps and mall crawlers.

I wonder what the REAL Jeep people must think of my stock tire size!
Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Not on the stock Overland gears........ fine for Sport with max tow (4.10 ratio) but the 3.73 just ain't cut out for 37" tires. No way in hell I'd go over 35 on these gears, not and expect to haul or pull any real weight.

I'm not sure why right off the bat everyone says "BIGGER TIRES!!!" - why? Especially jumping to 37's when hundreds of forum members are fine on 33 or 35" tires. I guess bigger tires = something else?
Unless they hit some of the harder trails, what's wrong with 33" tires - other than the mega-testosterone Jeep crowd insists they are for wimps and mall crawlers.

Breakover angle is the biggest issue with these gladiators in my opinion. 37s have made my truck really fun and capable, but even a 35 I think I'd be miserable. Granted-- that's just rockcrawling. For everything else, definitely not needed. I have a more one-dimensional view of what "offroad" is based on SoCal deserts and rock trails.

OP
OP

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
I really like how the 37s look, but I don’t think I’d ever have any use for them. Plus driving an hour one way to work 5 days a week on 37s with 373s sounds…not fun. Most likely I’ll end up with 33s, a little spacer level and mount my winch. Thank you for the input though I do appreciate you taking time to comment.

btw, does anyone know of a decently cheap way of mounting a winch? I’ll change the bumper if I really have to.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I really like how the 37s look, but I don’t think I’d ever have any use for them. Plus driving an hour one way to work 5 days a week on 37s with 373s sounds…not fun. Most likely I’ll end up with 33s, a little spacer level and mount my winch. Thank you for the input though I do appreciate you taking time to comment.

btw, does anyone know of a decently cheap way of mounting a winch? I’ll change the bumper if I really have to.
I would mount a front receiver hitch and have the winch in a cradle that could go in either the front or rear hitch. I would store the winch in the bed, perhaps mount some type of receiver in the bed so it could lock it and be secure.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer

Sponsored

flyil

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator HA Snazzberry

You know what they say these days, "stocks only go up" ;)

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So was I.

And the Rubicon wheels are the same as the Overland 7.5" wide.
2169CCBA-73C9-4DDA-B763-2A32CC3577F8.jpeg
7880A555-0815-4E34-991C-379982BED1DA.jpeg

0972A652-339B-4E2D-8601-F90FDC54C47E.jpeg
Holy crap. That's not what they go for in greater Boston. I'd say 1.75X. That's amazing.

Probably a lot more people customizing their jeep in TX.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would mount a front receiver hitch and have the winch in a cradle that could go in either the front or rear hitch. I would store the winch in the bed, perhaps mount some type of receiver in the bed so it could lock it and be secure.
That works, and I considered that, but hefting that winch around, making sure to have it when I think I might need or want it, running electric jacks/plugs, and the fact the front receiver maxes out at 9,000 pounds of pull - I decided my back wasn't into it. And the time you need a winch you gotta take it out of the back and set it in place and connect things - in the mud or snow.
But I did consider it and I have the front receiver and the winch cradle.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not overkill here. The tires are 35" Duratracs. Lockers are great too.
Jeep Gladiator New owner, with a little buyers remorse. 13210394td
I do not believe Duratracs are dedicated snow tires, I was thinking more like a Bridgestone Blizzak when I referenced a dedicated snow tire being overkill.

Sponsored

s alex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon
I do not believe Duratracs are dedicated snow tires, I was thinking more like a Bridgestone Blizzak when I referenced a dedicated snow tire being overkill.
They may not be, however, they're great in snow (packed snow even) and icy roads.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They may not be, however, they're great in snow (packed snow even) and icy roads.
No doubt, I have always heard they are good in the snow, I do not believe they are 3pmsf rated even. Had a friend who had them and he had a hard time keeping them balanced and they took a lot of weight.

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon Rubicon Rubicon 99% of the people that run out and buy Rubicon will never use its off road options They just buy it for the Rubicon sticker on the hood. Your better off buying a Sport S and putting a 2” Mopar lift and some 35s and it will fulfill almost all your off road needs.

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Not sure how far away we are from the original post concerns.

On my first truck I learned to never buy one without LSD at a minimum.
I have a JKU Sport 08... I have learned if you never really plan on rock crawling then "Rubicon's" are cool but over kill.
33 to 35s usually work fine on everything you described you wanted to do. A compromise between mpgs and fpgs.

OP
OP

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
Not sure how far away we are from the original post concerns.

On my first truck I learned to never buy one without LSD at a minimum.
I have a JKU Sport 08... I have learned if you never really plan on rock crawling then "Rubicon's" are cool but over kill.
33 to 35s usually work fine on everything you described you wanted to do. A compromise between mpgs and fpgs.
we are still on the original topic I believe.

So far, even on highway tires I’ve not had much issue. There is a noticeable and significant difference though between the two vehicles. I have to chug through some spots that the PW didn’t even blink at. Regardless though, it’s gotten me through it all so far. I’m still hesitant to go through the nastier areas though. I’ll update once I get the stones to try it. Once I get my winch mounted I’ll get a little braver.
Sponsored