Sponsored

No Mojave in Australia. Start with Overland or Rubicon?

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
Hey folks

You see where this is going. I would love your opinion on which platform you would start with and maybe a few pointers towards my MojaveWannabe.

I need a truck that's less about low and slow and more about sailing over forest tracks, long corrugated dirt roads, pot holes, and highway road trips to camp sites. It doesn't need to tow, or carry, too much weight. It does need to drive right.

In Australia, we don't have the Mojave and our Sport S doesn't have Tow Pack option, plus I'm a bit fancy pants, so the Sport S is out. The Overland and Rubicon are basically the same price ~$82/85k AUD respectively (~$65k USD) because the Overland has all the fruit optioned in, so, yeah.

I've gone down this forum's rabbit holes and think this might be about gearing... or suspension... or maybe Select-Trac vs Rock-Trac? I could use your help.

Where to start, Overland or Rubicon?

Side note on competitors, not many here, just the Ford Ranger Raptor for the same money. I test drove both but only the Jeep G made my fizzy bits fizzle so that's settled.

Thanks for any experience or considerations you can share.
Sponsored

NZRub

First Name
Boby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LandCruiser, Hilux & eyeing for JT '22 (maybe)
Occupation
Metal Guy
Gidday mate.
I was in the same boat as you before I ordered rubicon 3 months ago (5 more months to go).
For the little price difference for sport, Overland & rubicon. I went for rubicon in a heart beat.
Plenty of sport & overland on the yards to choose from but only white & black rubicon available.
I'm sure you know the difference between those 3 trims.

Tufelhundin

First Name
Windsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S ā€œsoldā€, 2022 JTR
Occupation
Gov
I can only speak for me....I have a Sport S.

If I had gotten the Rubi originally, I could have left the suspension alone, the gearing alone, I also wouldn't have bought the JKS sway bar disco's and then I would have had lockers front and rear with pushbutton sway bar disco. I also would have had JTR wheels, that I ended up buying aftermarket.....

And on and on....I guess you can see where this going too, LOL!!

Good luck and enjoy!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I would get an Overland with AT tires. Add the Tow Package, or whatever option you need to include to get the upgraded electrical and cooling systems.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
If you want more of the off road performance- get the Rubi.
if you want more of the on road comfort- get the Overland.

Just my opinion.

Sponsored

jorbasaurus

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT
Occupation
HRIS Consulting
made my fizzy bits fizzle
I GD love Australians šŸ˜‚. Iā€™m really enjoying my Overland as an intro to Jeep option, and at the same time already planning on purchasing a Mojave 4xe (šŸ¤ž) in 3-4 years as a more capable long term option. Iā€™d say it just comes down to your preference on creature comforts or out of the box high capability. I havenā€™t had any issues with A/Ts and trak-lok, but a locker and better suspension would be worthwhile - the JTO gets pretty jostly on rutted roads, which seems like your use case.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Hey folks

You see where this is going. I would love your opinion on which platform you would start with and maybe a few pointers towards my MojaveWannabe.

I need a truck that's less about low and slow and more about sailing over forest tracks, long corrugated dirt roads, pot holes, and highway road trips to camp sites. It doesn't need to tow, or carry, too much weight. It does need to drive right.

In Australia, we don't have the Mojave and our Sport S doesn't have Tow Pack option, plus I'm a bit fancy pants, so the Sport S is out. The Overland and Rubicon are basically the same price ~$82/85k AUD respectively (~$65k USD) because the Overland has all the fruit optioned in, so, yeah.

I've gone down this forum's rabbit holes and think this might be about gearing... or suspension... or maybe Select-Trac vs Rock-Trac? I could use your help.

Where to start, Overland or Rubicon?

Side note on competitors, not many here, just the Ford Ranger Raptor for the same money. I test drove both but only the Jeep G made my fizzy bits fizzle so that's settled.

Thanks for any experience or considerations you can share.
I'll start by saying that the functional awesomeness that is Jeep is the same in both the Sport or Overland (especially since no Max Tow) so you're fine starting with that. Now, my recommendation... don't go Rubicon if you're not rock crawling, you're paying for stuff you don't need. So, thats me saying go Overland.

I personally went with the Max Tow in the US for the axles and gear ratio, but otherwise it's pretty close to what comes in our Overland. I don't want leather seats and don't care about 18" wheels so again, Sport is fine.

Now, with us having something close to the same setup, I can talk about what I've done... I also want a truck that I can bomb down gravel/forest roads or handle speed bumps and dips without a problem. We call that a Pre-Runner in the desert southwest of the US and that's my goal. I installed the Falcon Piggyback 3.3 shocks a couple of weeks ago, but only got the 1.5" max range of motion because I don't want giant tires or a high center of gravity. These shocks have COMPLETELY changed how this thing drives and I love it, and I love it that I can tune it for different conditions. I have the rears pretty soft and the front more firm so I corner like a sports car and have 0 bounce when taking bumps/dips at speed. I love it.

I'm working on figuring out a spring option next (might just get Mojave springs, not sure yet) and once I have the 1.5" of lift installed then I'll be close to done with my performance mods.

OP
OP
Fizzy Logic

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
Mojave 4xe (šŸ¤ž) in 3-4 years as a more capable long term option.

JTO gets pretty jostly on rutted roads, which seems like your use case.
Oh donā€™t get me started on EV. Iā€™d buy EV Rivian or Jeep in a minute, but itā€™s still too soon :(

Yeah, itā€™s just the Jostle Iā€™m trying overcome. Totally. So Iā€™m Iā€™m happy to get Overland or Rubi plus suspension upgrade opinions. Cheers mate!

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
I assume the overland in Australia is 3.73 gears abs rubicon is 4.10 like here in the states.

If 4.10 is good for your tire size that youā€™ll run, especially if you go 35ā€ tyres, Iā€™d go rubicon and save the cost of the re-gear.

A few other bells and whistles on the rubicon good for slow off-roading.

The overland would make a nice ride, but, you may wish to have more gear if you go to larger tires.

If price is the same, Iā€™d go rubicon for the gearing.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Australian outback would seem the natural habitat for Mojave.

Pity.

joejoethetireman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I assume the overland in Australia is 3.73 gears abs rubicon is 4.10 like here in the states.

If 4.10 is good for your tire size that youā€™ll run, especially if you go 35ā€ tyres, Iā€™d go rubicon and save the cost of the re-gear.

A few other bells and whistles on the rubicon good for slow off-roading.

The overland would make a nice ride, but, you may wish to have more gear if you go to larger tires.

If price is the same, Iā€™d go rubicon for the gearing.
Ya but he said he wants something like a mojave which comes with the 3.73 gears???

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
Wow I would think Australia would be ideal for the Mojave.

I'd get an Overland since you want the fancy interior, install a rear ARB, widen the stance with new wheels and tires, and drop the money on the high dollar Fox shocks that come on the Mojave. No sense in spending more for the Rubicon upgrades you won't need, or the suspension you'll just be taking off.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Wow I would think Australia would be ideal for the Mojave.

I'd get an Overland since you want the fancy interior, install a rear ARB, widen the stance with new wheels and tires, and drop the money on the high dollar Fox shocks that come on the Mojave. No sense in spending more for the Rubicon upgrades you won't need, or the suspension you'll just be taking off.
This, throwing a locker on the back if it's what you want. Pimp it for maximum comfort out the door... wheels/tires/shocks are easy to grab aftermarket. I've decided shocks from the showroom floor are going to be crappy anyway and you'll almost always be better off spending the money on aftermarket (though I like Falcon more than Fox.)
Sponsored