Sponsored

No Mojave in Australia. Start with Overland or Rubicon?

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Wow I would think Australia would be ideal for the Mojave.

I'd get an Overland since you want the fancy interior, install a rear ARB, widen the stance with new wheels and tires, and drop the money on the high dollar Fox shocks that come on the Mojave. No sense in spending more for the Rubicon upgrades you won't need, or the suspension you'll just be taking off.
Yep, that's it right there. Casey Currie starts all his JTs as Overlands, gets the niceties he wants, and knows all the Rubi stuff is coming off, so why buy it. Not knocking Rubis, they are extremely capable, just have to keep in mind your end goals and what you plan to upgrade vs. keep on the truck.
Sponsored

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
This, throwing a locker on the back if it's what you want. Pimp it for maximum comfort out the door... wheels/tires/shocks are easy to grab aftermarket. I've decided shocks from the showroom floor are going to be crappy anyway and you'll almost always be better off spending the money on aftermarket (though I like Falcon more than Fox.)

The Rubicon shocks are good for their intended purpose, and the Mojave shocks are legit amazing.

I don't get the people that buy a Rubicon model then swap the axles right away but I'm sure there are situations I just don't see. Maybe they got a crazy good deal, were able to recoup even more money by selling the factory axles, etc. Everyone's situation is different and heck some people just love the Rubi look. I know I do. The highline fenders just look fantastic to me.

Sky Soldier

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon current, sold: 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 2007 JKU Sahara, 1995 2dr Sport, 1979 CJ7 AMC 304
Occupation
Retired
If your budget permits, always go with a Rubicon

OP
OP
Fizzy Logic

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
We call that a Pre-Runner in the desert southwest of the US and that's my goal. I installed the Falcon Piggyback 3.3 shocks a couple of weeks ago, but only got the 1.5" max range of motion because I don't want giant tires or a high center of gravity.
I had never heard of pre-runner, thanks for that rabbit hole, now I know what to drive in the end times! I found those Falcon shocks locally https://www.sbroffroad.com.au/Falcon-JK-2D-3-3-Adjust-Piggyback-Shock so thanks for the tip. I'm starting to get it.

OP
OP
Fizzy Logic

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
I assume the overland in Australia is 3.73 gears abs rubicon is 4.10 like here in the states.
Sure is mate. 4.10 gears and wide track Dana's on the Rubicon, which I think brings the Rubi closer to a Mojave (closer but not 'close') and I was thinking these features are harder to modify compared to shocks, for example.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fizzy Logic

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
Wow I would think Australia would be ideal for the Mojave.

I'd get an Overland since you want the fancy interior, install a rear ARB, widen the stance with new wheels and tires, and drop the money on the high dollar Fox shocks that come on the Mojave. No sense in spending more for the Rubicon upgrades you won't need, or the suspension you'll just be taking off.
OK I understand this approach. Thanks. How important is the 3.73 (Overland) vs 4.10 (Rubicon) gearing? Just asking that question probably tells you how much I have to learn.

OP
OP
Fizzy Logic

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
Just a thanks for the help so far. I've been a bit slow on the reply as we've had a bit wind here, knocked out power and mobile phone coverage for a week.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I had never heard of pre-runner, thanks for that rabbit hole, now I know what to drive in the end times! I found those Falcon shocks locally https://www.sbroffroad.com.au/Falcon-JK-2D-3-3-Adjust-Piggyback-Shock so thanks for the tip. I'm starting to get it.
Nice! I got mine quite fast from Teraflex directly, so glad it wasn't a wait. I also ordered their Adjustable Steering Stabilizer (Nexus 2.2) but that's on a 4 month backorder. I opted for the steering because I found that highway speeds with any curves could sometimes feel a bit too loose to my liking. I think once that's installed I *might* look into putting the Mojave springs front and rear, but for now I have the Max Tow springs in the rear, Rubicon springs up front. I don't feel like i'm sufffering for my springs at this point.

Yes, the pre-runner planning is a rabbit hole. If I can get it dialed in then I get the best of all worlds. (c: (for me anyway... go fast, handle like a sports car) I hope you start a build thread to cover what you're doing, it'll be fun to see what you accomplish.

OP
OP
Fizzy Logic

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
... I found that highway speeds with any curves could sometimes feel a bit too loose to my liking...

I hope you start a build thread to cover what you're doing, it'll be fun to see what you accomplish.
I finally got to test drive at highway speeds today and I now I understand what you mean, I felt it wandering at around 100km/h 65mph. I was lucky enough to have Ben from https://jeepaction.com.au in the truck with me and he also recommended a stabiliser. Anyway, I will indeed start a build thread, it's the least I can do. Thanks.

OP
OP
Fizzy Logic

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
Thanks heaps everyone. Today I ordered a Gobi in Overland trim, mostly for the transfer case, gearing and comforts that this here latte-sipper has become accustomed to. I'll post a build thread when I get the rig next month.

Sponsored

NZRub

First Name
Boby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LandCruiser, Hilux & eyeing for JT '22 (maybe)
Occupation
Metal Guy
I finally got to test drive at highway speeds today and I now I understand what you mean, I felt it wandering at around 100km/h 65mph...
Which trim was it that u drove.
Did u test drive both Rubicon & Overland.

Congrats on the JT
How long do you have to wait for it?

OP
OP
Fizzy Logic

Fizzy Logic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf R
Which trim was it that u drove.
Did u test drive both Rubicon & Overland.

Congrats on the JT
How long do you have to wait for it?
Thanks mate. I test drove the Overland with Mud Terrain tyres, oddly enough. Those tyres didn’t make nearly as much road noise as I expected, totally doable for daily. I’ll be putting AT tyres on mine.

Chris Rock once advised ‘don’t let your happiness make someone sad’

But… it’s ex demo (saved me ~9%) and I get it in two weeks.

As you picked up, they’re dropping Overland in Aus but new order ETA’s, for Night or Rubi, are about three months out. In comparison - Kia’s minivan Carnaval is 18 months lead time right now.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Throw on Bilstein 5160 shocks and a Bilstein Steering Damper. That will give you Mojave like shock absorbers, without spending $10k.

I'd also find some Rubicon springs front and rear. Not sure if you can find some on Gumtree or not. If not you could order new and ship, wouldn't cost an arm and a leg. That should give you over an inch (25mm) of lift.

I'm in the US, but lived in Sydney and I know the government is strict about modifications.

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
Are you adding tires? Size? Overland shocks are for comfort. Overland 3.83 gears and Rubi 4:10 gears so you can got to 35's on the Rubi without thinking about re-gearing. You will probably have to do the same to both to get them to sail down rutty roads except add gears to the overland.

NZRub

First Name
Boby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LandCruiser, Hilux & eyeing for JT '22 (maybe)
Occupation
Metal Guy
Chris Rock once advised ‘don’t let your happiness make someone sad’
But… it’s ex demo (saved me ~9%) and I get it in two weeks.

As you picked up, they’re dropping Overland in Aus but new order ETA’s, for Night or Rubi, are about three months out. In comparison - Kia’s minivan Carnaval is 18 months lead time right now.
Haha.. Sweet as mate. I'm happy for you instead of sad.
will keep an eye out for your build. cheers
Sponsored