Sponsored

OEM break fluid ?

Cburd61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
J
Wow someone needs a smoke break lol ...you must be a novice by saying all ways add brake fluid , maybe first check why it's low , you sound like the 5 min lub job places add fluid and brakes are good to go ...comical. No worries usually brake fluid gets removed from reservoir if you are actually doing a flush or new calipers otherwise there no reason.
Just a blunt FYI…….Shadowspapa knows his shit. He’s probably like me, has forgotten more than most of the younger generations will ever know.
Sponsored

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
No you may not it's special power steering fluid for hydro assistant
NO - Never use ATF in modern PS systems. Talk about voiding warranty.
Since the 1990s, they've say not to use ATF. It goes clear back to the ZJ and WJ years at least
jeez. I went back and edited my first comment just in case anyone else decides to quote it, skip the rest of the thread where we discuss the correct fluid and hop on at the end to say “WRONG” 🙄

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I have done hundreds of brake jobs and never removed any fluid from the master cylinder except to flush the entire system, and that was just to speed things along.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Fluid for the EHPS systems isn't cheap.
After they replaced the second steering gear on my 2020, I noted the fluid was low after a couple of days. I was in the area and stopped in and suggested "the air worked out, and now it's low". The guy walked inside, grabbed a bottle of PS fluid, filled it to the full mark and handed me the rest of the bottle. 20-some bucks a bottle. Fine, now I have some spare which I hopefully will not use any time soon.
Gone are the days of buying cheap red ATF and dumping it in the PS pump. (but then gone are all of the problems those systems had, too)
It's been a long time since I saw ATF specified for a PS system. As I recall, even the ZJ and WJ specified PS fluid and said to not use ATF or ATF+4. That's going back into the 1990s.
The exact same thing happened with me. Had steering box replaced to new steel, low fluid days after and tech handed me a slightly used bottle to keep.

OP
OP
FLACRACKER

FLACRACKER

First Name
Monte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Bit of an update. The dealer told me to bring the JT in and they will have a look at the power steering. Again, the fluid level is well below the low mark. If a problem cannot be found i will have to pay for a diagnostic service. The mileage is just over 24, 500 miles. One more month for the 3 years. I called Chrysler motors national customer service (phone number in the manual) to ask about the warranty for the power steering. The national customer service representative told me that the issue has now been documented on my part (verify via email). I will take the JT to the dealer and see what happens. No confidence in the dealer though. Will update in a week or so.

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Without a photo of "low" brake fluid- something to be mindful of, as your brake pads wear that caliper piston is sticking out further and further due to pad wear- this void is filled by brake fluid. So, when you change your pads, and compress the piston back in to make up the width of the new pads you will likely be over full.

Personally-I flush the fluid every 2 years maximum. Fluid in the res is usually always clear/great looking... its that fluid down in the caliper and lines that is exposed to heat that changes to darker/brown color.

Pentosin DOT 4 LV
Is my go to fluid for all vehicles. It has a reasonably high WET boiling point, and its ability to maintain good viscosity in very cold is great. - so if you wheel in the snow or travel through the cold this is something to consider, your abs's ability to perform at its best when cold....

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
No confidence in the dealer though.
I feel your pain. Isn't it sad that we've gotten to the point where we don't think the dealer is capable of trouble-shooting a simple issue like low power steering fluid.

MOJAVEC22

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave 1991 Toyota Hilux
Occupation
Electrician
Without a photo of "low" brake fluid- something to be mindful of, as your brake pads wear that caliper piston is sticking out further and further due to pad wear- this void is filled by brake fluid. So, when you change your pads, and compress the piston back in to make up the width of the new pads you will likely be over full.

Personally-I flush the fluid every 2 years maximum. Fluid in the res is usually always clear/great looking... its that fluid down in the caliper and lines that is exposed to heat that changes to darker/brown color.

Pentosin DOT 4 LV
Is my go to fluid for all vehicles. It has a reasonably high WET boiling point, and its ability to maintain good viscosity in very cold is great. - so if you wheel in the snow or travel through the cold this is something to consider, your abs's ability to perform at its best when cold....
I’m about to flush mine and decided on Pentosin Dot 4. I’m going with the “Super Dot 4” vs the “LV” since I live in the desert(Vegas).

JTGuy

First Name
Pascual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Manager
I just go to the dealer and get the Mopar stuff that is listed in the book. I think it's Dot 3. .
Sponsored