Sponsored

Closet Jeep guy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd gen tacoma
Not quoting but octane requirements are discussed above. FYI the press release specifically noted the SO version of the engine would run on regular (premium recommended). The HO requires premium.

That leads me to a quick side-bar that unlike, say, some German turbo applications where there is very little aside from computer code which separates versions of an engine with different power levels, the Hurricane SO/HO split is pretty meaningful here, and Jeep's marketing team is playing it up too. I make no claim about the actual production cost or complexity differences between the two engines, but the way Jeep is talking about them stresses their differences more than their similarities: one is supposedly tuned for efficiency, the other power; one runs on regular, the other premium; on the Wagoneer it looks like the HO is identified as the 'grand' version of the engine; etc. And beyond the marketing side, the engines differ not only in their programming and the turbos, but in heads, pistons, and crank. My read is this is not a F-150 2.7 vs 3.5, or a Silverado 5.3 vs 6.2 situation where the upgrade pricing is modest, but more akin to something like a BMW 340i vs M3 situation where the higher output motor is priced at a large premium even if the core archetecture is unchanged. My optimistic take then is that by pushing the HO version of the engine upmarket they're creating space for the SO version to be pushed downmarket without the public being too pissed off at a large price delta between them. And since I'm way more confident the SO version will come to Gladiator versus the HO, I see that as a good thing for us,.

This is good analysis. I wondered about the 250k too, which is a weird number which makes it a volume part but seemingly (but maybe not? does anyone know current HEMI numbers for Dodge+Ram+Jeep products??) insufficient to fully replace the HEMI? I speculate above that perhaps the factory will scale up from 250k/units as HEMI production winds down, but that's a guess. I agree if it stays at 250k it's hard to make sense of it as anything like a Pentastar + HEMI replacement, but as long as current HEMI sales are 250k+ then almost by default the 250k figure has to be something less than the long-term production level.

I also agree the lack of 2.0 in JT makes this weird. If we're in a world where Stellantis sees this engine as relevant for the next decade and as the core of their 50% internal combustion fleet, it makes a ton of sense in the JL to have it coexist alongside the 2.0 the same way the Grand Cherokee and 1500 had the HEMI alongside the Pentastar. In the JL then the 3.0 would be viable where the HEMI wasn't because 1) it's more efficient and harms CAFE numbers less; and 2) it's positioned against MY23+ competitors which will be increasingly electrified and accordingly have high EV power levels. But where Gladiator fits in, given it never got the 2.0, is more of a mystery. Part of me wonders if the 2.0 rollout has been slower than expected for some reason, and if there isn't some sort of mildly electrified 2.0 powertrain coming to serve as the base 1500, Charger, Challenger, and Grand Cherokee motor. If not then it's harder to see the Pentastar being easily eliminated, and an existent Pentastar seemingly makes the Hurricane less likely for Gladiator :(

One final prediction: the HO model is going to be effectively the new SRT part, and they're going to build a Hellcat off it later with further turbo and boost improvements. That justifies all the expensive internal changes to the Hurricane to move from SO -> HO power levels (which otherwise aren't all that different), since the changes would need to be made anyways for the future 3.0 Hellcat, and it makes the marketing job easier to justify higher costs and higher margins on the muscle cars without destroying the SO versions' ability to compete with Ford and Chevy.
Hellcat is getting discontinued in 2023 in favor of this new engine . The new engine will only have 3 power stages . Go to Motor1.com . There is an article, I would share it but im reading it on my work computer and typing this on my phone
Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Ppl buy the Hellcat powered cars for their awesome bone chilling blower wine. No way will this I-6 cut it!

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
That's great and all, I have a JLUR with the 2.0T.........there is not much room between the front accessory drive and the radiator...........I guess I need to go take pics.

The bore and cylinder size of the 2.0T is going to be the same for the 3.0TT. So take the measurement of half of the block and add that to the current 2.0T and you will have the answer.

Also, "engineers were trying to" so that statement leaves a lot of ambiguity.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I think they need to make a 2.5T I5, it would fit the JL/JT perfectly and would be a nice bump in power and torque.

2019 - 2.0T E Torque 270 hp / 295 ftlbs with eTorque and ESS

2.5T I5 could be based on the value of 4 to 5 would be a 20% increase of displacement with no change in turbo size.

270 (20% = 54) 270+54 = 324hp
295 (20% = 59) 259+59 = 354ftlbs

I think this would be a viable option and they should do it. I love the 3.5 I5 in my Colorado. Plus the Inline 5's just sound good too

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Yes, that was the initial reporting, however the press release stated:

Jeep Gladiator Official: Hurricane Twin-Turbo 3.0 I-6 Coming for Jeep With Over 500 HP and 475 ft-lbs! Screenshot_20220329-120648_Chrome

The bore on the 2.4 would be slightly bigger, but if they managed to keep it so compact, it would have to be through means other than bore/spacing.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
The bore and cylinder size of the 2.0T is going to be the same for the 3.0TT. So take the measurement of half of the block and add that to the current 2.0T and you will have the answer.
You're forgetting the length requirements for the flywheel/accessory sides, which would not be included in the additional length. Add bore/spacing specs' worth of length, and you'll be closer.

Re, I5: no thank you. A straight six is a balanced and blissful configuration that can easily be tuned for down low torque or high rpm horsepower, and power delivery is very smooth and linear. I5 (much like a V6) is an unbalanced mess that exists purely for packaging reasons and has no non-packaging advantages gained for the sacrifice. Also, sounds like crap.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
... I5 (much like a V6) is an unbalanced mess that exists purely for packaging reasons and has no non-packaging advantages gained for the sacrifice. Also, sounds like crap.
Strongly disagree. Google the sound of the I5 in the Audi RS3. It's half of a v10 and sounds glorious. Pretty stout too.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Jeep is definitely going to offer this and a hybrid version in wranglers and gladiators. Ford has ranger raptor and bronco raptor on the way and the 6.4 is on the way out the door.

im likely trading my JTD for the quad motor cybertruck when my number gets called and coming back to Jeep once the hybrid version has been on the road a while. Really just depends on value of my nacho at the time. I love the diesel though. No complaints

Last edited:

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure

SuperUltraMan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Human Being
And you can have that engine upgrade for an additional charge of only $15,000!
BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE….
Jeep will include a 10-speed transmission for only $4,500 more!
(Disclaimer: engine and transmission cannot be purchased separately and must be accompanied by required additional package upgrades at additional costs not included in the aforementioned engine and transmission upgrade packages)

MNDZLJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary Diesel
Occupation
Jeep Technician
This engine wont be availble in jl or jt. it wont pass crash testing, wont cool and wont fit
Sponsored