Sponsored

Oil Catch Can - is it needed?

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Interesting, my cheap catch can is milled from what appears to be solid aluminum, the body and lid are at least .25” thick, mine was universal so I made a mount for it, as it turns out mine is very close in location to where the JLT can mounts. Definitely something to the heat and condensation as the contents has the milkshake appearance in the colder months but not in the summer.

9A8589DD-9293-4D8A-A3DE-F65F02C151B4.jpeg

C21189D2-0D9A-41DA-95F3-750BDFB855D8.jpeg
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
Since you are modifying the PCV system, are there any warranty implications? I would like to install one, but not if the Jeep dealer is going to have an issue with it.
I would assume the potential for warranty implications and remove it prior to any trips to the dealer. Better to be safe than sorry. No matter how you look at it, you are tampering with emissions equipment.

My concern with a catch can is always the additional pressure drop (system resistance) over the factory design.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
For you guys running the UPR can, do you still like it? Is much getting by it on the clean side at the intake manifold? Thinking about removing my mishimoto and installing a UPR

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Well, out with the mishimoto, in with the upr!

Also ordered the teraflex CVS and will connect to the upr (they're installed literally right next to each other) but awaiting delivery on that. I'll see how the upr compares to the mishimoto for a few hundred miles before teraflex cvs installation. But ultimately, the idea is to have the teraflex cvs pull more air from the oil filler neck than the back of the valve cover, reducing the amount of oil in the pcv line, and the upr cleaning up the rest. I want no oil in the intake manifold!

15A8FC5E-426C-4291-A6BA-A79E03E5027A.jpeg

VA Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubi 06 LJ Rubi
Well, out with the mishimoto, in with the upr!

Also ordered the teraflex CVS and will connect to the upr (they're installed literally right next to each other) but awaiting delivery on that. I'll see how the upr compares to the mishimoto for a few hundred miles before teraflex cvs installation. But ultimately, the idea is to have the teraflex cvs pull more air from the oil filler neck than the back of the valve cover, reducing the amount of oil in the pcv line, and the upr cleaning up the rest. I want no oil in the intake manifold!

Jeep Gladiator Oil Catch Can - is it needed? 15A8FC5E-426C-4291-A6BA-A79E03E5027A
Where did you order this from? Can't find it on their site

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Teraflex piece looks pretty cool, curious how the fill cap attaches to it once it is installed.

unsocbl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys Eco-diesel
Just installed the UPR a couple of days ago. We'll see in a few days how much oil it's catching
Jeep Gladiator Oil Catch Can - is it needed? 20210927_142606

Sponsored

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
I would assume the same but the picture of it on their site looked to me like maybe not.
Just checked install instructions, and it looks like it does screw in to the top. Man i can't wait for it to come in

FDB311BD-619D-49DE-B5A7-A95B07D2CFD2.jpeg

Reactions: Mac

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had my catch can on for about 15k miles, I get roughly 8 ounces of oil/whatever in the can every 5K miles, my catch can is a generic 8 ounce can wish it was a little larger so I could go the full 5K between oil changes without emptying it, I don’t like it to get more than about half full or so.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I have had my catch can on for about 15k miles, I get roughly 8 ounces of oil/whatever in the can every 5K miles, my catch can is a generic 8 ounce can wish it was a little larger so I could go the full 5K between oil changes without emptying it, I don’t like it to get more than about half full or so.
I'm getting half that or less over 5k mile intervals.

I'm running the Mishimoto, usually Costco 87, and Amsoil Signature Series 0W20.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm getting half that or less over 5k mile intervals.

I'm running the Mishimoto, usually Costco 87, and Amsoil Signature Series 0W20.
Not familiar with how the Mishimoto installs, for the one I put in I just put the catch can inline between the pvc and intake, cut the factory line and clamped oil rated hose over each end and ran to the catch can.