Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Cheap simple cans in a bad location fill with more tan starbucks crap than oil. If it is catching and holding oil it will look exactly like what comes out of the pan. Period. If it looks tan or like starbucks its mostly water emulsification.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Cheap simple cans in a bad location fill with more tan starbucks crap than oil. If it is catching and holding oil it will look exactly like what comes out of the pan. Period. If it looks tan or like starbucks its mostly water emulsification.
What can do you have? Most cheap cans can be mounted in any location as they are universal. I mounted mine in the same place many of the cans costing a lot more are mounted.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What can do you have? Most cheap cans can be mounted in any location as they are universal. I mounted mine in the same place many of the cans costing a lot more are mounted.
I've read a lot of pro articles including from vendors and seen and studied the results. I do not gave one but have done weeks of research and compared photo results and looked into the various color meanings. Unless it looks exactly like the oil in your crankcase it's a lot of water not so much oil and it's condensation ofter from cheap cans that heat and cool. According to one vendor location can matter in that.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
So glad i switched catch cans to the UPR. I've been running the jeep harder than normal with some WOT pulls for the italian tune up running 93 octane for a "clean cycle."

Just checked my "clean line" to the intake manifold from the UPR, and not one drop of oil on the rolled up paper towel stuck into the intake manifold port or the end of the clean line. I always had oil blowing through the other can - every single time i checked and during normal / easy driving. Highly recommend UPR.

Reactions: Mac

Sponsored

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
So glad i switched catch cans to the UPR. I've been running the jeep harder than normal with some WOT pulls for the italian tune up running 93 octane for a "clean cycle."

Just checked my "clean line" to the intake manifold from the UPR, and not one drop of oil on the rolled up paper towel stuck into the intake manifold port or the end of the clean line. I always had oil blowing through the other can - every single time i checked and during normal / easy driving. Highly recommend UPR.
Ok, so now you have me interested in this "italian tune up 93 octane"......

Do share my friend!

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Ok, so now you have me interested in this "italian tune up 93 octane"......

Do share my friend!
Lol, some say it works, some say it doesn't. It's just filling up with premium with a good additive package, like chevron, exxon, bp, shell etc and doing a handful of repeated wide-open-throttle runs to "clean excess carbon" out of the engine. If it cleans excess carbon, great, if not, it was fun trying!

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
Lol, some say it works, some say it doesn't. It's just filling up with premium with a good additive package, like chevron, exxon, bp, shell etc and doing a handful of repeated wide-open-throttle runs to "clean excess carbon" out of the engine. If it cleans excess carbon, great, if not, it was fun trying!
Yeah I never really believed this does much at all, though the other forums I'm on for my other vehicles talk about the same thing.
But I'm all in for WOT pulls.

Generally speaking my solution is to just use a top tier gas as much as possible, but for the recommended octane level. Shell, BP, Exxon, etc are all top tier. And so is Costco, which is where I gas up!

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
'Top Tier' gas/fuel is good, but so is a busy station where they go through a lot of fuel so that is is fresh is good. As far as additives go, there are 'top tier' which are good for occasional use. The cheaper stuff works but as regular maintenance.
As far as the catch can, been on for 1500 miles. Was going to check today but weather is not cooperative.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Cold weather is back, more moisture content.

BD34FD07-DEA4-4C12-B6C0-AD8C142FD4E1.jpeg

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Had the JLT 3.0 on the Durango SRT. Tidy install and setup.
Still on the fence for the JT.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
J/T Catch can, 1500 miles 4oz of straight motor oil. Only a slight residue of water at the bottom.
Truck has 18K miles on it.
It mounts on the drivers side by the brake reservoir.

Reactions: Mac

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I'd be interested to see if there is a correlation between location (and the associated ambient weather conditions) and catch can "effectiveness". Hot, dry Arizona compared to hot wet Florida/SE Texas compared to cold dry Colorado and cold wet Maine for instance.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I'd be interested to see if there is a correlation between location (and the associated ambient weather conditions) and catch can "effectiveness". Hot, dry Arizona compared to hot wet Florida/SE Texas compared to cold dry Colorado and cold wet Maine for instance.
Your on.
You get the sponsorship funds (fuel, accommodation, food, service, small pittance for me) and I’ll do the drive. Stopping every 500 miles to document the contents, save, and send for analysis.
On board?🥴

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I run Billet brand catch can on my 392 running 0W-40 and it does capture about 100 ml of oil every oil change. I have a 2012 3.6L Charger and that one seems to run very dry and little or now blow-by. That one runs on 5W-30 oil. With the new 3.6 on 0W-20 it might blow more oil through. Billet is a top quality brand. I have never seen the Starbucks Latte in my catch can, though.
Sponsored