Sponsored

One Car AI Box - Is This a $400 Alternative to Insane Audio?

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
https://onecarstereo.com/products/qualcomm-octa-core-carplay-ai-box

Poking around and stumbled upon this doodad.
It has a built in Android OS (9) running on a Qualcom octa-core, so it's essentially a tablet computer with no screen. You already have a screen in your JT.

• 450 1.8 GHz / 4 GB RAM
  • 64GB EMMC
  • Supports 4G SIM (optional)
  • Apple Car Play Wirelessly
  • Android Auto Wirelessly
  • Runs Android apps, including RADARs, Navigation, Youtube, Netflix, Games, and more - with or without phone connected.
  • 4K video support
  • Split screen mode
  • Built-in GPS
  • Plays USB media

Sponsored

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I'm really not a fan of these Chinese android all-in-one units anymore.

I have an Avant Avid4 in my e46 and its mostly garbage. I can't get the V1 app to work, the CarPlay interferes with the terrestrial radio and it takes forever for wireless CarPlay to even sync. QC and support leaves a lot to be desired.

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
I'm really not a fan of these Chinese android all-in-one units anymore.

I have an Avant Avid4 in my e46 and its mostly garbage. I can't get the V1 app to work, the CarPlay interferes with the terrestrial radio and it takes forever for wireless CarPlay to even sync. QC and support leaves a lot to be desired.
I hear ya.
Every electronic device I have came from China.

Sponsored

Coldtoes

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon - Hyrdro Blue
I hear ya.
Every electronic device I have came from China.
I think the difference here is in the design. Our Google/Apple/Samsung phones are designed by quality companies in US, S. Korea etc.. They have control over the manufacturing, at least indirectly. As opposed to a device quickly and cheaply designed and manuf. in China without much in the way of controls, testing, validation, etc...
Don't get me wrong, I buy US made when I can, but, i'm just saying there is China crap, and there is quality stuff made in china for the things we don't have a US option...
To me Amazon is a good example of US company with not a lot of investment into design, china made Amazon electronics are better than china designed cheap crap, but not by a huge margin. Just my opinion anyhow...

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Looks cool. But if I want a bigger screen for navigation too. Then don't have to mount a tablet for Gaia.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Every review of it mentions YouTube, Netflix, and games... really? Many folks having family movie night in the truck?

Personally, I like the idea of wireless android auto, but 300-400 seems very steep for that feature. What other app would you really want your truck to run? OnX? Didn't get a whole lot of use out of the free trial as it didn't have any trails near me (even though there are some)

Seems more like a solution in search of a question to me maybe?

OP
OP
Lunentucker

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
People Work?
Every review of it mentions YouTube, Netflix, and games... really? Many folks having family movie night in the truck?
I used to think similarly. But then I started having to shuttle my aging father and unhealthy brother to frequent medical appointments during a global pandemic, when extras weren't allowed to come inside and just hang around and wait.
So hours spent in a parking garage sure did yearn for YouTube on the larger screen.

It would be handy dandy to have my favorite weather radar app accessible on the go. Yeah, the u connect weather one is decent but I always liked my Android one.

Ditto for some off-road nav apps like maps.me.

They're all conveniences, but no moreso than much of what you see in most modern infotainment dash setups these days.

I'd love to see Jeep integrate recording loop video to a SD card with my front and rear cameras.
There's always something more.
Sponsored