Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
This is my daily and scoots along just fine, i have other toys with good hp.

IMG_15102.jpg

Jeep Gladiator Overall who's pretty pleased with the power output of their Gladiator {filename}

Jeep Gladiator Overall who's pretty pleased with the power output of their Gladiator {filename}

Bruce
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I understand- but how do you keep yourself from driving it? My JT is 3 months old and 4k miles in. Its supposed to be my 2nd/ weekend truck, but I cant make myself drive my other truck instead... No way I could make 3.5 years under 15k miles, hell Iā€˜d do that in just ice cream trips!
Same boat, 3 months in I got 5500 miles on mine and this is light driving months for me. June-Oct will be my heavy driving months where I'll average between 800-1200 miles a week of driving. It's nothing for me to put 20,000 on a vehicle in 8-10 months.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I have to pay attention to keep from speeding.
Like others have already mentioned, the 8 speed auto probably makes the most difference.
And, 2 more MPG than my stock JKU.
Iā€™m not sure I would go that far... :LOL:

Im coming from a Tesla Model 3 and BMW 335d (still have them). Those two just want to sit at 90-100mph all day long, uphill in top gear (technically top gear for the Tesla since itā€™s a single-speed), no complaints from the drivetrain.

The JT seemed ā€œhappiestā€ to me cruising at around 70-75mph. Any higher and I feel like Iā€™m pressing it just a little too hard. I usually like to cruise at around 80mph here on the SoCal freeways, but finding myself driving around 70mph if Iā€™m not paying attention! Need to remember to stay out of lane 1! Could be the MUCH higher CoG and fact that it weighs 5000lbs too.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

Im coming from a Tesla Model 3 and BMW 335d (still have them). Those two just want to sit at 90-100mph all day long, uphill in top gear (technically top gear for the Tesla since itā€™s a single-speed), no complaints from the drivetrain.

The JT seemed ā€œhappiestā€ to me cruising at around 70-75mph. Any higher and I feel like Iā€™m pressing it just a little too hard. I usually like to cruise at around 80mph here on the SoCal freeways, but finding myself driving around 70mph if Iā€™m not paying attention! Need to remember to stay out of lane 1! Could be the MUCH higher CoG and fact that it weighs 5000lbs too.
Yep agree 100% on the BMW, my 435i I had wanted to sit between 90 and 100 all the time. Always felt like I was going 60 at that speed though. My JT feels good between 70 and 80 mph. I don't push it much more than that, no need to. If I wanted really move I just drive the 5.0

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
the 3.6 is long overdue for improved performance. My 1.8L turbo'd jetta had a way more impressive torque curve which was awesome for cruising, and it would be nice to have that when driving all over the place for different romping and camping spots. Now you get a great torque curve with the diesel but that is not available with a manual trans. With the plethora of technology today there should be no reason a 3.6L is unable to put 300 ft. lbs. down at the wheels at a very cost effective price. I've seen engineers do incredible cost effective things so I have a hard time believe the performance was they best they could get with this engine.

Sponsored

NektoInPhx

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99Taco4x2, 04Taco4x4, 13JKSport
I'm pretty pleased with my Butt-Dyno results. I'll be adding a supercharger eventually, but that 8 speed transmission is amazing, even on 37" Milestar m/t's without regearing.

My 13 JK was meh. My DD was a supercharged 04 Tacoma before my Gladiator, so I'm used to having some beans. OffRoad+ is the bomb.

Pwntiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Occupation
software developer
Not a JT owner but recently borrowed a friends Rubicon on 35s for the weekend before buying. Both power and steering feel took away any smile I had on my face, no way I would dd that setup. Iā€™m a hard pass until the ecodiesel.

Kudos to JT for getting traditional truck guys into a Jeep, but itā€™s still lacking Iā€™m afraid

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Not a JT owner but recently borrowed a friends Rubicon on 35s for the weekend before buying. Both power and steering feel took away any smile I had on my face, no way I would dd that setup. Iā€™m a hard pass until the ecodiesel.

Kudos to JT for getting traditional truck guys into a Jeep, but itā€™s still lacking Iā€™m afraid
Should go drive a Max tow, I drove a Rubicon and for some reason the Max tow feels like it's got a bit more pep. I'm not sure what the difference is but I drove one Saturday while at Hendricks and something felt different as far as the setup. I would like to of had the Rubicon for a few days to really test.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I'm not thrilled with the Pentastar's "okay" power and torque but I knew that before I bought, had one or two before.

Everything in life is a trade-off. Given the fun factor, manual transmission, convertible, off-road capability, aftermarket support, and most of all the pickup format, all in one vehicle, it's a trade-off I can happily live with.

WVBKW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon - 2020 F350 KR
The JT is actually my wifeā€™s, but I love driving it. Super fun and even though we have only owned a few weeks we have been on all sorts of adventures.
My daily is a 20 F350 6.7. My wife was driving an 18 Expedtion with the Ecoboost which was very powerful for a big olā€™ SUV. We were actually going to pick up a new Expedition when we past the Jeep lot and my wife saw the JT. It was all over. hour later we were on our way home.

I agree with some of you, it should have had a Hemi option. The 5.7 would completely transform the driving experience.
Backroads and playing the V6 is great, but hwy it just doesnā€™t have it.
Keep in mind I believe the same engine in the Grand Cherokee is perfect, but the JT needs more ooomph to be a serious machine. No comparison in looks but the new Ranger with the tiny 2.3 Eco still has a lot more guts.

We also added 35ā€™s which didnā€™t help.

I LOVe this Jeep but some kind of power add is going to come soon or if they offer more options 21 we will just swap.
For me jury is still out on eco diesel I need to drive. I drove one in a grand Cherokee and I wasnā€™t overly impressed.

I want a JT with a Thirsty Hemi! Bring on the gas pumps and a throaty V8.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
The JT is actually my wifeā€™s, but I love driving it. Super fun and even though we have only owned a few weeks we have been on all sorts of adventures.
My daily is a 20 F350 6.7. My wife was driving an 18 Expedtion with the Ecoboost which was very powerful for a big olā€™ SUV. We were actually going to pick up a new Expedition when we past the Jeep lot and my wife saw the JT. It was all over. hour later we were on our way home.

I agree with some of you, it should have had a Hemi option. The 5.7 would completely transform the driving experience.
Backroads and playing the V6 is great, but hwy it just doesnā€™t have it.
Keep in mind I believe the same engine in the Grand Cherokee is perfect, but the JT needs more ooomph to be a serious machine. No comparison in looks but the new Ranger with the tiny 2.3 Eco still has a lot more guts.

We also added 35ā€™s which didnā€™t help.

I LOVe this Jeep but some kind of power add is going to come soon or if they offer more options 21 we will just swap.
For me jury is still out on eco diesel I need to drive. I drove one in a grand Cherokee and I wasnā€™t overly impressed.

I want a JT with a Thirsty Hemi! Bring on the gas pumps and a throaty V8.
Yeah the Rangers 2.3 has got more guts, I guess that's why it can tow 3500lbs and my Max Tow can tow 7600lbs, that's sounds about right.

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
Your idea of speeding and mine, are two different things LOL.
I'm referring to obeying the speed limit during everyday driving in WV. Not speeding down an interstate at 80-90mph.

Anyhow,
I haven't tried towing my restored army jeep (GTW of 3900#) with our new Gladiator yet.
My Jeep Liberty CRD did a fine job of doing that for 8 years.
Hoping the Gladiator will do as well.

Last edited:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Iā€™m a whiner and at 63 require, shit have earned, instant gratification. I agree with all that the 3.6 coupled with the 8sp auto is pretty damn good and can do most anything.

I put about 200 miles on mine and then replaced the 3.6 and tranny with a 6.4 hemi and stronger 8sp. The difference is night and day, even with the eye watering cost and fuel mileage. I donā€™t plan on ever letting it go (until my kids take away my keys, probably wonā€™t be able to lift the giant key fob at that point anyway).

Frankly, this is an option that should have been available OEM. I prefer driving it to my 2019 Porsche Cayenne S that I bought when I retired for the second time (couldnā€™t stay away, so now working of number 3). I traded my 2015 MB CLS63 in on the Porsche and sold my 1987 LR Defender on BaT after replacing the anemic turbo diesel (19J) with an LS and 6sp auto from a 2012 Camaro and one of my 1964 Corvettes to buy and upgrade the Gladiator. If I had any hesitation, it is completely gone as I just ticked over 4,000 glorious miles.

All of that said, the stock 3.6 is an excellent engine and I would have been very happy with it, except Iā€™m a speed lunatic.

How'd you solve the heat problem? Any other mods to support the bigger engine?

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Your idea of speeding and mine, are two different things LOL.
I'm referring to obeying the speed limit during everyday driving in WV. Not speeding down an interstate at 80-90mph.

Anyhow,
I haven't tried towing my restored army jeep (GTW of 3900#) with our new Gladiator yet.
My Jeep Liberty CRD did a fine job of doing that for 8 years.
Hoping the Gladiator will do as well.
Lol, fair enough...

Rick Behrendt

First Name
Boats
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2017 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 Camper van.
Occupation
Retired US COAST GUARD
We are extremely happy with ours, it feels like it is a lot peppier then the 17 GMC Canyon it replaced. I live in the mountains of N. Idaho and routinely travel over 11,000 ft passes with no trouble at all maintaining 65 mph.
Sponsored