First Name
Trainman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 dr. Willys
Occupation
Retired
I'm looking for a model Jeep Gladiator that will be a street driver 99% of the time, I want the 8" radio system, painted top to match vehicle, trailer tow package, LED light F&R, and all terrain tires, plus other options. The Overland model suits me for what I want, what do you think and do you have an Overland. I also like the High Altitude model, but these are hard to find on dealer lots, even in the DFW area.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know better than we do what your needs and wants are.

Wranglers and Gladiators are all about wants.

I'm convinced that the main reason people buy Rubicons and Mojave over the Overland is simply appearance. They look "tougher".

But that's not dumb. You have to like the way your vehicle looks. Especially when you pay $50k+ for it.

If you like the way the overland looks and it gives you the features you want, then go for it. If you want it to look a little more "tough" , you can always buy a set of nearly new Rubicon or Mojave take off wheels/tires for a ridiculously low price and just put them on.

Barnabyā€™sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
You know better than we do what your needs and wants are.

Wranglers and Gladiators are all about wants.

I'm convinced that the main reason people buy Rubicons and Mojave over the Overland is simply appearance. They look "tougher".

But that's not dumb. You have to like the way your vehicle looks. Especially when you pay $50k+ for it.

If you like the way the overland looks and it gives you the features you want, then go for it. If you want it to look a little more "tough" , you can always buy a set of nearly new Rubicon or Mojave take off wheels/tires for a ridiculously low price and just put them on.
Yup. If you want an Overland, get an Overland. I initially wanted one, as everything I read said that was the most comfortable one to drive. I couldnā€™t find one, so I had to look at other options.

The Rubicon and Mojave are the simple/push button, get food pellet entry into a (pretty much) completely built Jeep, as far as what the average person will ever need.

At the end of the day, a LOT of folks are going to a lift, do bigger tires, want skid plates, want lockers because they have dreams of off-road fun, etc. The JTR and JTM are just east ways to get all of that off the showroom floor.

Consider availability though. I initially wanted an Overland (I didnā€™t ā€œneedā€ a JTR), but I needed a vehicle now-ish and I couldnā€™t find one within 200+ miles.

That left me with the Sport and Rubicon (only trims available in a color that I wanted). I wasnā€™t doing a Sport, because I just donā€™t have the time, ability (bad back), and interest to wrench on it to make it what I wanted.

That stuff being said, youā€™re into Jeeps, so Iā€™d keep in mind that whatever trim you get, youā€™re likely going to end up doing something to it. I.e. I decided that I hate the looks of the base JTR wheels, so Iā€™ll be swapping those out sooner or later.

BigDKY

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
I considered these questions when getting my gladiator also. My dad has a rubicon and I drove it before getting my sport. In having driven his and mine honestly I think thereā€™s not that much difference in the gladiators themselves but I think if you tow a lot or you want better off roading capacity a rubicon is better I believe. The interior options in a lot of rubicons and Mojaveā€™s mirror those of a luxury car- leather trim seats, bigger screen, heated seats, heated steering wheel etc. But, if you want the painted top, that I believe is only available on Overland and above models. If using as a street driver Iā€™d probably drive one of each and see which you think handles better. I think I love having a gladiator period and most of us end up adding mods and upgrading things on them anyway.

72YEARGAP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
architect
I've had my 2020 Overland for almost two years, buying it off my local dealer's lot. It was easily 10k less than the Rubicon sitting next to it, and better equipped in the creature comfort areas. It's my daily driver, so that mattered. I like how it looks. I like the Overland wheels. It is billet silver, with a black hardtop, but I after market bought the soft top for it and switch them around seasonally.

I've done some medium to mild off-roading in it, and use it to pull our 4000 travel trailer. I'm careful with it, as it was the first brand new vehicle I've purchased in over thirty years. I figure I'll drive it carefully and keep it nice as long as I can...then when it's time to trade, I can keep it and do all the "Jeep" stuff mods, if I have a desire to.

The Overland is a great value for a comfortable gladiator that will still do enough Jeep stuff to get a "wave" from the Rubicons and Mojaves.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My first Overland in the pics below.
I've traded my Overland for a 2022 Overland.
On the road, daily driver 98% of the time, towing, hauling stuff, long trips, whatever the rest of the time.
It does just fine. Good mpg, tows fine. My wife likes to drive it on long trips. It's been to Fort Wayne, Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak while we were there. Very comfortable yet capable truck.

Jeep Gladiator Overland Model, What do you think 20210910_063711_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Overland Model, What do you think 20210910_191133_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Overland Model, What do you think 20210912_101403_HDR

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I don't see anything wrong with it for your needs... or really 99% of us who drive a Rubicon or Mojave. It's still a Wrangler with a bed!

It has yet to be seen on the JT, but for what it is worth the Rubicon models seems to hold more residual in the Wrangler crowds.

I usually buy my vehicles for the long term so that didn't really affect my choice. I wanted a Rubicon, got a Rubicon. Want an overland? Send it!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
you can always buy a set of nearly new Rubicon or Mojave take off wheels/tires for a ridiculously low price and just put them on.
I had Rubicon wheels on my Overland for several months - you can see what I went back to. I honestly don't like the look of the stock Rubicon wheels. If I had a Rubicon, the wheels would be switched out fairly soon. I really like the looks of the Overland wheels. And that bit about "can't find tires" is BS, an excuse, nothing more. I had zero trouble finding 18" tires - and basically the same price as the 17" tires in the same class. I even bought the tires through a Jeep dealer. (they matched the discount tire places)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see anything wrong with it for your needs... or really 99% of us who drive a Rubicon or Mojave. It's still a Wrangler with a bed!

It hast yet to be seen on the JT, but for what it is worth the Rubicon models seems to hold more residual on the Wrangler crowd.
Not here in Iowa - the Sahara wrangler will sell just as easily. And if you do the math - you've paid more for the Rubicon up front - so the cost of ownership has to figure - percentage-wise - is it really a better "investment"???

skindata

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Assembly Technician
My first Overland in the pics below.
I've traded my Overland for a 2022 Overland.
On the road, daily driver 98% of the time, towing, hauling stuff, long trips, whatever the rest of the time.
It does just fine. Good mpg, tows fine. My wife likes to drive it on long trips. It's been to Fort Wayne, Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak while we were there. Very comfortable yet capable truck.

Did you pick your new truck up yet or are you still waiting on word of delivery?

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Not here in Iowa - the Sahara wrangler will sell just as easily. And if you do the math - you've paid more for the Rubicon up front - so the cost of ownership has to figure - percentage-wise - is it really a better "investment"???
I don't know man... people out west like to pay big bucks for stickers.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Does an Overland have better seats like the Safari Wranglers do?

Barnabyā€™sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I had Rubicon wheels on my Overland for several months - you can see what I went back to. I honestly don't like the look of the stock Rubicon wheels. If I had a Rubicon, the wheels would be switched out fairly soon. I really like the looks of the Overland wheels. And that bit about "can't find tires" is BS, an excuse, nothing more. I had zero trouble finding 18" tires - and basically the same price as the 17" tires in the same class. I even bought the tires through a Jeep dealer. (they matched the discount tire places)
The Rubicon ā€œupgradeā€ wheels look good (my two cents), but yeahā€¦I havenā€™t liked the base JTR wheels since day one. I hoped theyā€™d grow on me, but it appears that isnā€™t going to happen.

Agreed, but I think thatā€™s the only ā€œstreetā€ oriented trim that you could say that about (TBD on the Overland JT). Not sure how the newer ones are, but I remember back in the TJ daysā€¦the Sahara was the ā€œitā€ Jeep, before the Rubicon came out. I donā€™t think that premium/higher tier perception (in terms of cost AND desirability) for the Sahara ever went away, so Iā€™m sure that helps.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve personally covered this numerous times on here but Iā€™ll say it again.

In so many ways I think the Overland is the perfect option for a lot of people. Not all but a lot including myself. For me I took a lot of things into consideration. Iā€™m a city driver although itā€™s not my daily due to my profession. And the amount of amenities I have and wanted. I couldnā€™t justify the extra 8-9k on a Rubicon for different gears, lockers, and disconnects, especially when I rarely off-road. Do I get off-road? Absolutely and Iā€™ve been amazed by how it performs as is. Yes Iā€™ve done a few things to it. But coming out the gates Iā€™d much rather have my ā€œfully loadedā€ Overland than a Rubicon with cloth seats, halogens, and plastic fenders especially when itā€™s 8-9k more even without those options. Besides the Overland has the best looking stock wheels of any trim in most peoples opinion. Hence the reason I havenā€™t got rid of mine as of yet. I will eventually.

OP feel free to DM if you have any Overland specific questions or check out my vehicle showcase which has info.

Jeep Gladiator Overland Model, What do you think BD9A743E-562B-404C-B0AC-FF0205FF6ADD

F0D604A5-2121-45AC-A966-4D92446A924B.jpeg

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I've had an Overland since Feb. 2020 and have absolutely no regrets. I liked the overall look (it was on the showroom floor), the drive, the interior options, the larger screen with NAV, leather seats, upgraded Alpine sound, etc. More importantly, it's proven to be more than capable of handling everything I've put it through. It's my daily driver, so that was my primary consideration. However, I've taken it off-roading many times, including a Jeep Adventure Academy (all-day course), and it has been 100% able to do everything all the other more-modded Jeeps tackled. I did a 2" lift/level kit from Rubicon Express and slapped 35" tires on the OEM wheel and have zero complaints. Hope that helps -
Sponsored