Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
  • Banned
I'd like to start a list /discussion of the tools ,and things you bring with you.
The goal is to build a minimalist tool & spare part list for overland adventure.
Any Gladiator problem solving stories/teachable moments are welcome to.
Sponsored

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S. Max Tow.
Vehicle Showcase
Subscribing since I'm just starting to build my overland rig. I mounted a ARB Dual compressor behind my rear seat. Just purchased an air impact gun for those over tightened lug nuts, and whatever other trail repairs may be needed.

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
im In on this.

All i carry so far is a full automotive ratchet set, power impact, duct tape hammer and rubber mallet I'm still adding when money permits

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I keep the following in my recovery kit but I'll take more if I'm going out for longer, like some power tools and a full tool kit

Tool Box
set of box wrenches
set of metric sockets and a 1/4 ratchet handle
pliers
cutters
rubber mallet
grease
extra cotter pins and washers for my sway bar disconnect
rag

Recovery
ratcheting tie downs
soft shackles
tow strap
shovel
work gloves
safety vest
Smittybilt 2781 compressor
tire repair kit

In the underseat storage I keep these things at all times
tow strap
soft shackles
small, cheap ratchet set
Safe T Jack ammo can bottle jack
Leatherman-type multitool
Blanket
Small first aid kit

Posting this reminds me I need to parse down my small tool box in the recovery kit to things I only really need, as well as get more winch tools

Last edited:

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Bailing wire is the hair of god.

After that, tire plugs, sidewall patches, ratchet set, adjustable wrench(s), suspension (21/22mm) wrenches, channel locks, pry bar, more bailing wire, duct tape, gloves, flashlight (lots), screwdriver set, cotter pins, blanket to lie on if you're under the rig.

If you aren't sure you have enough bailing wire, add more. That, over almost anything else, has gotten rigs back to the road more times than I can count. I've used it to keep driveshafts together, steering connected to knuckles, exhaust to the vehicle, shocks to axles. If bailing wire can't fix what broke, chances are you're in trouble.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I'm happy to comment on the tool storage solution itself as others have chimed in with the "what" to bring. This Step 22 tool roll is by far my favorite recovery bag. It fits way more than you think and it stows perfectly under the rear seat. I've got it loaded to the gills and I bet it weighs 30lb. With a focus on minimalism, I really like this one bag solution as it works for me. There's definitely "more" you could probably carry of course.
Jeep Gladiator OVERLAND TOOL & TRAIL FIX (must haves) 1641922114028

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
My only other comment is I like to make sure what ever i carry i secure in some fashion in the event of a roll over or accident, don't really want to get hit in the head with a loose hammer or tool roll.

Granted this advice is more for SUV's where cargo and cab share the same space. But the JT does have ample back seat space that is tempting to store large items. I try to keep most of my tools in a trunk in the bed strapped down, and things like hatchets, flash lights and smaller stuff captured behind the rear seat backs or under the rear seats.

Start watching those Moab roll over videos and watch a guys junk get scattered everywhere....You will see my point.

OP
OP
irrelevantgoals

irrelevantgoals

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody have a list of the wrenches & sockets we need for the Gladiator. why carry a complete set of metric and standard tools if don't need to? I'm trying to keep the tool kit light as possible.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Does anybody have a list of the wrenches & sockets we need for the Gladiator. why carry a complete set of metric and standard tools if don't need to? I'm trying to keep the tool kit light as possible.
18mm for the sway bar.
Sponsored