Sponsored

Ox Lockers

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Doesn't an electric switch to actuate the ox locker defeat the purpose of having an all mechanical locker? Maybe not everyone is looking for that but to me a major advantage of the ox locker is all mechanical. I've heard that the factory JTR lockers can break and often out of warranty (i.e. the condition in which they were broken is considered abuse or wear and tear). If/when mine go I'll be replacing with all mechanical ox lockers.

I thought this video was pretty good too as it shows the differences and the ways each type works:
No not at all. The benefits of the mechanical locker come from the internals and the ability to manually over ride the system if something breaks on the cable side.

The manual switches are huge, maybe fine in an old K5 but our tiny little Jeep interiors, I can't think of where I would mount it.

All the electric one does is triggers a a solenoid to do the mechanical pushing for you. If the system breaks down you can manually do it with the driveaway lock.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Ox with air or electric actuators defeats the purpose.
I am adding Ox to both ends with manual shifters. My only question is where to mount the levers. suggestions?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Ox with air or electric actuators defeats the purpose.
I am adding Ox to both ends with manual shifters. My only question is where to mount the levers. suggestions?

It doesn’t defeat the purpose. Ox lockers are incredibly strong. If you have an issue with the air line or the electric switch they can still be engaged.

OP
OP
FLUndertaker

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
It doesn’t defeat the purpose. Ox lockers are incredibly strong. If you have an issue with the air line or the electric switch they can still be engaged.
I suppose but why not just use the bulletproof cable actuators? ARB are strong as well, it’s the air requirement that I don’t like. YMMV

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I suppose but why not just use the bulletproof cable actuators? ARB are strong as well, it’s the air requirement that I don’t like. YMMV

How do you intend to route the cables into the cab?
When I put them into my TJ I had to cut the floor. No chance I’d do that to the gladiator

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
The manual switches are fine for an off road only rig, or something old, but I would not be cutting up a brand new $50k truck to install the cables on ugly switches in an already cramped interior when a practical solution exists.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
We do have a convenient drain hole for the floor liners...
Ok, route them through your drain hole, leaving that permanently open... then what? Leave the cables exposed in the footwell and install the switches under the front seat? Go for it if you want, I will just do the electronics.

Edit... also, the cable coming from the rear is going to have to make a 180* turn to get into the body which that cable won't do, or go on a really long journey forwards in order to come back in from the front side.

Not sure why this is even a topic of discussion, do what you want, who cares?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Ok, route them through your drain hole, leaving that permanently open... then what? Leave the cables exposed in the footwell and install the switches under the front seat? Go for it if you want, I will just do the electronics.

Not sure why this is even a topic of discussion, do what you want, who cares?
Yea... that was joke 🤷‍♂️

Take it easy

Everyone will do what they want. We're here to talk out the pros and cons and maybe learn a thing or two... and maybe even crack a joke

Jlmckinney

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Lineman
The manual switches are fine for an off road only rig, or something old, but I would not be cutting up a brand new $50k truck to install the cables on ugly switches in an already cramped interior when a practical solution exists.
I agree, I ordered the air solenoid set and I plan to run a 12oz co2 bottle that I can take out when im not planning to be using it

Sponsored

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT-Sport S, 2021 JT-Sport S
I spoke with Chip from Oxlocker and we talked about the different options. He said if I ordered the cable version he could make it so the cover could be used for air in the future. Come to realize you can just change the operation of the locker to air, cable or electrical by ordering and changing some parts.

Changed my route on the way I’m going. Going to go with air operated for the time being. I would have like to have gone cable, but I just don’t know of a good spot to route them. Ripping the center console apart and make that work was a thought.

Darkamek

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT-Sport S, 2021 JT-Sport S
Well went down to the shop that will be installing my gears and lockers. Paid for the air lockers and 4.88 gears. Now to wait until they can be installed.

Mike1087

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Well went down to the shop that will be installing my gears and lockers. Paid for the air lockers and 4.88 gears. Now to wait until they can be installed.
Nice, mine arrived today will be installed in a couple weeks.