First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Just go to the dealership and give them a written offer. If they don't accept it walk away. Then you can stop worrying.
Sponsored

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
The “cash” buyers do realize this is the dealer’s LEAST preferred method of paying, right? It’s not the 60’s and 70’s anymore folks. Dealers much prefer you finance as they get kickbacks. You’re actually better off financing as it’ll get you a lower price. Then you can take the cash and pay off the loan.

NightFog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 20 Gladiator Rubicon
Of course some dealers would prefer you finance so they can get a kickback.
It becomes a choice. You finance and you pay finance charges for 3 or 4 months or you pay a little higher price for the unit. Some dealers are smart enough to realize that, Some aren't.

spenchey

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
spencer heywood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
every gladiator you could want
@spenchey
another one.
shit, I got me a new side-hustle...
lol

Dang JP thanks for the recommendations, I don't know if I messed with a setting but I just got notification of these mentions, sorry for the late reply

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Purchasing a new vehicle is the single greatest destructor of wealth there is. Definitely buy a lightly used vehicle if the dollars are a concern.
Not necessarily. If your usual is to trade after a few years, then buying a one- or two-year old vehicle makes sense. But if you keep a vehicle long term, buying new actually makes financial sense. My Dakota is 16 years old, with 343,000 miles. I am soon going to be replacing it with a brand new Gladiator, because it is nearing the end of its useful life. Now, if I had purchased a two-year old Dakota, it would have reached this point in its life two years ago.

Sponsored

Bigphe JT

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1979 Jeep CJ7
Not necessarily. If your usual is to trade after a few years, then buying a one- or two-year old vehicle makes sense. But if you keep a vehicle long term, buying new actually makes financial sense. My Dakota is 16 years old, with 343,000 miles. I am soon going to be replacing it with a brand new Gladiator, because it is nearing the end of its useful life. Now, if I had purchased a two-year old Dakota, it would have reached this point in its life two years ago.
I agree. Even keeping a vehicle 8-10 years that you buy new and maintain makes good economic sense. Buying used isn't always the best decision. Look at the prices right now of used and new vehicles with all the rebates and incentives. Why would I buy a used vehicle when the cost is very similar and I have no idea of how the vehicle has been treated and get a warranty that is shortened. To each his own but I like having the peace of mind of knowing how a vehicle has been treated and maintained from new. Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators hold their value so well it hardly makes sense to buy used.

OL1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTLE Black, 2018 JLRU White, 1967 Corvette Converible, 2011 997.2 TTS
I agree. Even keeping a vehicle 8-10 years that you buy new and maintain makes good economic sense. Buying used isn't always the best decision. Look at the prices right now of used and new vehicles with all the rebates and incentives. Why would I buy a used vehicle when the cost is very similar and I have no idea of how the vehicle has been treated and get a warranty that is shortened. To each his own but I like having the peace of mind of knowing how a vehicle has been treated and maintained from new. Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators hold their value so well it hardly makes sense to buy used.
Guys I’m talking from a purely financial perspective, There are countless posts I’ve read on this forum discussing how they are buying a new vehicle for $40k-$50k but financing it for 6 years and don’t have that much in retirement savings let alone cash in the bank to pay for it. Granted there are a ton of people out there that can easily afford new vehicles, but when you consider that 70% or the country couldn’t write a check for $5k in a financial emergency you need not look farther than the “new” truck in the driveway and the $1k iPhone in their hands. But hey, they qualified for the loan and can make the payments. I’m not referring to you guys on this post, but it is one thing that kills me is they don’t teach financial literacy to kids in high school today as mandatory learning.

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I would share my story as it has cosumed me for a week and drove me crazy. I just passed up a Launch Edition Rubicon for $8700 off of the sticker price and 2.9% for 60 months. Searching around the average seemed to be $4-6k off on Overland or Sport, but the Rubicons are coming down now.. A dealer by me is shaving mass amounts off so I went today to look at the launch edition they had on the lot. They had a TON of Wranglers and Gladiators, an unbelievable amount. That kind of changed my mind. Literally not one space was empty. They had a ton of inventory and after 30 days they start paying the bank the interest on these vehicles.

So here is why I passed on this deal. The economy is in a place it has never been and to be honest the Gladiator is overpriced compared to the competition. You can get a top trim full size truck for the price of a Gladiator. Right now I can even get a loaded Raptor for the same price. I know they are different vehicles. But Gladiator sales began to slow before covid which is alarming. It is Jeeps least selling vehicle and the lowest in sales compared to the competition. I really think a price correction from FCA is coming for the Gladiator and the existing inventory pricing is going to get slashed more with rebates and zero percent financing to make it move. If I bought this Gladiator I would be roughly 58k out the door. I saw a few Gladiator LE's used for upper 40's, so right away I lose 10k walking out the door. Which in a good economy is fine and expected. But in this economy I think that number needs to be lower to move these vehicles. They obviously are not selling and they will have to start taking loses to prevent more loses.

So I think I made the right move in waiting to see what happens. I really think towards the end of the year you will be able to get 15k discount on these things, especially in the high level trim. Local Ford dealers are already offering $12-15k discounts and the feds might also add some incentive to buy. If I was wrong ill pay more but then hopefully a diesel Gladiator would be available by then. I am in no rush as my 2018 F150 limited lease is up in September and I have a JL for my summer vehicle. Ford is calling me with crazy offers to get into a new vehicle so I think Jeep is gonna face the music and start the fire sale soon also.

Here is the dealer:

https://www.dupagechryslerdodgejeepram.com/new-vehicles/?q=gladiator&_dFR[type][0]=New&_paymentType=our_price

What do you guys think?

And thank you for this forum I was reading a lot of your guys posts and helped me make this decision.

I don’t understand what the point of this post was? You went on a gladiator site to essentially bash the gladiator. Lol. What does the economy have to do whether you feel a gladiator is worth the money? There are many vehicles out there that I could debate aren’t worth the money, it’s all perspective.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Interestingly, there are people who are banking in this economy and there are people who are suffering. Make no mistake, there are a lot of people who are hurting, but there are also people who are making more money than ever before. The government is handing out trillions of dollars in stimulus. That money will eventually work its way through the system and into the hands of people. My wife and I, for example, both received a stimulus direct deposit. So, I'm actually making more money during this pandemic than before the pandemic. So while this is doom and gloom for some people, others are doing very well, which is why some dealers don't feel compelled to heavily discount inventory.

Sponsored

chrisblaze

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328d
Purchasing a new vehicle is the single greatest destructor of wealth there is. Definitely buy a lightly used vehicle if the dollars are a concern. I agree the Gladiator is over priced, I actually think the base models look a little silly and would get a Tacoma or Colorado if that was what I was in the market for. Lifted on 37’s these trucks look like a completely different vehicle.

Part of me hopes sales suck and they cancel the vehicle after a 3 year run. Instant collector car! Lol I remember in 2006 brand new Ford GT’s not being sold because they were overpriced. I kick myself because In 2008 I passed on a black stripe delete Ford GT with 10k miles that the guy wanted $125k for, now that car is worth $300k. It’s all relative, I don’t regret 1 second paying $55k for my LE, and fully understand it’s depreciated like a stone the first year of ownership.
I wish I could find a LE for $55k I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat!

njjeepthing

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blinkerfluidproductions.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2018 JLU
Occupation
Event Planner
I wish I could find a LE for $55k I'd scoop it up in a heartbeat!
I've got one sitting in my garage for sale for 54k with a Mopar soft top added.
415 miles on it.
Jeep Gladiator Passed up $8700 off a Launch Edition IMG_0631

Attachments

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
God bless you if you can afford that kind of note. I semi-seriously considered getting a Glad when I first heard they were being made. Then I saw the price.

So my personal plan is to "pickup" a used one in a few years when they aren't as much as a small house and all the bugs have been worked out/identified. Yeah yeah, the re-sale is more than they cost new. Whatever.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, 2009 Toyota Tacoma