Sponsored

Phone Solutions

iPHoeNiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
I tried this and ended up returning it because it bothered me it was in my field of view. The gladiator dash is kinda high anyways, this puts it right in the middle of windshield which was annoying for me...
i agree its vey high. I actually had an old one in my center console that worked. The benefits of being bored in lunch and searching your entire vehicle for no reason other than pass time. Although this tray is actually pretty useful in comparison.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
No, they should not. All phone users should be using a dock with a wired connection. I just recently experimented with wireless thinking I might get a mag mount, and had my wife do the same. Total failure. Sub-par audio quality, and no integration with the head unit (IE no CarPlay). Apparently wireless CarPlay requires a third party $160 box.

Also, vent mounts SUCK in Jeeps.

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
No, they should not. All phone users should be using a dock with a wired connection. I just recently experimented with wireless thinking I might get a mag mount, and had my wife do the same. Total failure. Sub-par audio quality, and no integration with the head unit (IE no CarPlay). Apparently wireless CarPlay requires a third party $160 box.

Also, vent mounts SUCK in Jeeps.
*shrug* works with my iPhone 12 mini

Sponsored

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Right, so it doesn't "work" unless you define that as being like a ten year old car with low quality audio.

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Right, so it doesn't "work" unless you define that as being like a ten year old car with low quality audio.
dude this thread is about mounting phones, I linked to a mount that works for me, sorry that it doesn't meet your high standards.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
I'm sorry you feel attacked when someone points out that a blanket "should" statement is inaccurate.

I was just looking at the ball arms and see a ton of them in 17mm, and some in 20mm. Anyone try interchanging them? I found that I accidentally had a 20mm and 25mm mixed on my boat, and it worked. With the 20mm arm on a 25mm ball at one end.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
Does anyone make a wireless charger mount like the one that goes in the tray above the radio? Do you need to plug your phone in to use apple on the radio?
You have to plug the phone in to use CarPlay for sure, and I believe also for Android Auto. CarPlay is what puts the apps and other features on the main display, turns the phone display into turn-by-turn lists, etc. The integration bit. It also has remarkably better audio quality.

I'm not aware of any premade mag mount for the tray, and it would put the phone pretty high and block the windshield. Someone else tried a "claw" mount up there and found that it was in the way. There are a number of mag mounts that use a base in the tray, an arm, and then the mount/dock itself. But you won't get CarPlay with them.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
You have to plug the phone in to use CarPlay for sure, and I believe also for Android Auto. CarPlay is what puts the apps and other features on the main display, turns the phone display into turn-by-turn lists, etc. The integration bit. It also has remarkably better audio quality.

I'm not aware of any premade mag mount for the tray, and it would put the phone pretty high and block the windshield. Someone else tried a "claw" mount up there and found that it was in the way. There are a number of mag mounts that use a base in the tray, an arm, and then the mount/dock itself. But you won't get CarPlay with them.
Thanks, I meant the 67 design mount or whatever it's called. my iphone case has a cover over the plug port and I try not to plug it in more than i have to. My truck is on order and this is my first one with carplay so this is all new to me. I have a mount in my 3 series that wirelessly charges.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
You will need wired to gain the benefits of CarPlay, and they are great benefits. I use a ProClip dock and over-dash mount right now. Look on their site. It's good, and I'm still reading this thread because I want to add a double mount to put my GPS/satellite communicator up there too. Otherwise the ProClip dock and their cheap little $25 mount are very good.

Readyt

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rimtyme.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Franchise Business Consultant
Updating.
iphone 12 Pro Max.
Nato charger mount less secure than Nato XL due to metal ring in stead of plate for the magnet. It allows it to charge, but it does not charge. Might need better 12v or cable, but the Qi charger is weak compared to plugging in directly to a cable in rear console/dash. Have not tried it with lighter adapter.

Ordered Magsafe charger from apple and:

Quarble Magsafe dash holder.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P4HYHQ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will update once installed.
This will be the way I go. Note that all IPhone 12's use USB-c and will charge up to 20 watts. Per Apple the old usb chargers will charge at 5 watts but will create battery issues that will void the phones warranty. Only USB-C cable is in the Dash. I could still add a wireless car play adapter and everything would work great. Wireless carplay with an Alpine head unit in my car is Awesome and convenient. Car play starts right up when I get in and the Magsafe mount works great
Sponsored