Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
5.7 “had” issues, it’s long resolved. My last three 5.7’s had zero issues.
Tell that to all the guys with 5th Gen Rams that are still having their engines disassembled on a regular basis.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Has the issue of the EcoDiesel overheating in the JT been resolved?
Between that and the big cost of the Diesel option, it wasn’t worth it to me.
5.7 Hemi….I’m in.
Yes I suppose it has. I have towed at the ragged edge of surpassing rated capacity in the hottest weather with the highest humidity you'll find in America, and I've never seen my engine coolant or oil temps get hot.

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 sport s - 2018 Gx460 - 1992 SC400
Occupation
Construction
If they're going to do the Hemi, do the 6.4. The 5.7 has pretty widespread cam/lifter issues, and costwise it wouldn't save anything to do the 5.7. The 6.4 is the base engine in the Ram HD trucks. There's nothing special about it. Jeep just gouges for that package on the Wrangler because they can, so they'd do the same if it were a 5.7 under that hood.
6.4L has the same issues, at least in srt form. I know from experience and it was $$$

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
If they're going to do the Hemi, do the 6.4. The 5.7 has pretty widespread cam/lifter issues, and costwise it wouldn't save anything to do the 5.7. The 6.4 is the base engine in the Ram HD trucks. There's nothing special about it. Jeep just gouges for that package on the Wrangler because they can, so they'd do the same if it were a 5.7 under that hood.
I had the lifter issue in my 5.7L at 33k miles. Would’ve been a $3k+ repair out of warranty. That being said, I still loved the engine. It sounded AMAZING and had awesome daily driver power.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
6.4L has the same issues, at least in srt form. I know from experience and it was $$$
Really? Well that's a bummer. I think the truck version has additional oil squirters. Maybe that's why we don't see it as often on the Rams. Real bummer if the SRT 6.4 eats cam lobes too though. :(

Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
To answer the original question, Yes. Yes I would buy a V8 Gladiator. I don't care if it's the 5.7 or the 392. But, if it is released, I will put my order in immediately.

I have zero need for a full size regardless of TRX/Raptor...etc.

BUT, I'd also instantly buy one if they released the GME-T6.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I for one hope they Don't make a 5.7L, not because I don't want others to have one but because I surely wouldn't be able to resist buying one myself :CWL:

Honestly I think it would be more likely to see the GME-T6 w/hybrid instead, which would be a terror itself-

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
For me, no interest in a dirt machine that has that much horsepower...With that kind of HP I want the vehice to handle like a sports car on the pavement (not to mention, not be mechanically limited to about 100 mph). Eneter CT4 BlackWing which fits the bill. May get in in a year or two after I enjoy my Mojave '22 for a few years...

All this said, I would like a MO to have a little more HP and a bit more torque (gas only).

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Has the issue of the EcoDiesel overheating in the JT been resolved?
Between that and the big cost of the Diesel option, it wasn’t worth it to me.
5.7 Hemi….I’m in.
It's pulled timing for me a few times going up passes but it was quick to get back to normal. I don't think FCA considers this an issue, so there's "nothing to fix." I don't think anyone from the aftermarket has stepped in yet to look at options.

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Tell that to all the guys with 5th Gen Rams that are still having their engines disassembled on a regular basis.
“All the guys”
“ On a regular basis”
Out of how many 5.7’s out there is this happening?
In the last 5 years on my 1500’s all 3 having 5.7 engines, I have had zero issues.
My wife, a Mopar service manager can confirm that the problems are more manifolds issues on the few high miler 5th gen versions.
The Hemi tick cam lobe issue is on the older 4th and previous versions.
But sure there may be a few newer ones out there, she hasn’t seen any
and “all” the “regular basis” ones may just be those few that come to the forums to complain out of the thousands and thousands that have no issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
It's pulled timing for me a few times going up passes but it was quick to get back to normal. I don't think FCA considers this an issue, so there's "nothing to fix." I don't think anyone from the aftermarket has stepped in yet to look at options.
We’re you towing?

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Would love to have a V8 in the JT, though the V6 does well for me… I do have a DD V8 6 speed manual I drive now though.

Yesterday I saw a wrangler 392. Sounded good, and looks awesome. He seemed as though he wanted to race… 😁 that would have been interesting Wrangler 6.4 Hemi vs Mustang GT 5.0. 🤔

River2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 sport s - 2018 Gx460 - 1992 SC400
Occupation
Construction
Really? Well that's a bummer. I think the truck version has additional oil squirters. Maybe that's why we don't see it as often on the Rams. Real bummer if the SRT 6.4 eats cam lobes too though. :(
Oh yea it’s a thing. Real bummer too. It was my favorite vehicle I’d owned. The lifters stick over time and chew the cam. If you go to the forums you will see all about it. If I’d have known I would have probably got the max life warranty or something from the dealer but I didn’t research enough.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
For me, no interest in a dirt machine that has that much horsepower...With that kind of HP I want the vehice to handle like a sports car on the pavement (not to mention, not be mechanically limited to about 100 mph). Eneter CT4 BlackWing which fits the bill. May get in in a year or two after I enjoy my Mojave '22 for a few years...

All this said, I would like a MO to have a little more HP and a bit more torque (gas only).
I totally agree that fast trucks aren't as fun on the street, but that power would be nice for towing and a tun of fun in a Mojave that was actually running high speed offroad stuff.

I just hate V6s. :)

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
Over the last two years, the amount of guys cross shopping the Gladiator and Raptor has been staggering. Now that TRX is in the game, the idea of cannibalizing sales is a real threat.

I personally think the EcoDiesel is the perfect powerplant for the Gladiator. Gobs of torque and where you need it in the RPM band, without the 12 miles per gallon that comes with a V8. But having said that, a V8 is a more reliable engine long term.
I agree
Over the last two years, the amount of guys cross shopping the Gladiator and Raptor has been staggering. Now that TRX is in the game, the idea of cannibalizing sales is a real threat.

I personally think the EcoDiesel is the perfect powerplant for the Gladiator. Gobs of torque and where you need it in the RPM band, without the 12 miles per gallon that comes with a V8. But having said that, a V8 is a more reliable engine long term.
I agree i love my diesel Gladiator so much power and torque yet 24+ mpg on 37's but the roar of a v8 would be cool i have to admit! My local Jeep store built a Gladiator with a 392 it sounded awesome was not impressed with the handling but would get it for sure
Sponsored