First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GC
Occupation
Sales
See what Carvana offers. They just bought my Grand Cherokee and I made out like a bandit. Now I need to find the right deal on a Gladiator and I'm golden.
Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Shouldn't base this decision on "equity" in the vehicle. You either want the new vehicle or don't. If you can afford the swap then move on it.

Reactions: BAT

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
People always say the Rubi will hold more value. I assume we'll have to go off Wrangler historics, since we have none for the Gladiator, but has anyone looked at that resale advantage from a percentage point of view. Sure the Rubi is worth more at the end, because you paid more at the beginning. What does the "better hold it's value" look like from a percentage point of view?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Well, this might help.... (Editing during these times)
Jeep Gladiator Please keep me from buying another Gladiator 399ca570b22d6dd422d54a4b733f4d51

Last edited:

Erievon

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR., 2021 JLU Altitude
Occupation
International Banker
Excellent point

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I feel like buying your vehicle based on your ability to sell it seems silly... why bother getting one if it's just a product to re-sell? I realize I may be alone in that mindset, but my plan for mine is to drive it either until there is a dramatically good reason to swap out (electric Mojave w/ 500+ mile range) or it dies (or I die.)

Buying new cars is such a pain in the ass and I do not enjoy spending time with a car salesman, so I feel like I'd rather just enjoy what I have.

Also, don't trick yourself into thinking you're coming out ahead... you're spending $13k MORE than you already have. Why didn't you do that in the first place? If you don't have the the additional $13k in cash then you're going to be increasing your car payment by $250-300 (or more.) Which makes it hard to get out from upside down with that purchase. (I'm very against the corporate mentality of taking on more debt, over extending, to buy the new hotness, if that isn't obvious.)

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
"Please convince me to buy another Gladiator" should have been the title because I think your actual mindset is that you want to keep your JT but you're attracted to the option of selling it.

I think your mindset is correct because right now most dealers (from what I've seen and read) have mostly black, white, and grey Gladiators on their lots. Yes trade-in value is crazy high right now in the COVID universe, and the colored JTs (i.e. your hydra blue) are just that much more desirable.

I say "stand pat" Brother and enjoy your blue beauty :rock: :beer:

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU
I say do it! ‘Merica! When the 2021’s hit the lot, do it again! Why? Resale, baby! Giddy up!!

JCFindley

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
OK, I have no input on the reasons you asked about.

I DO have input on getting a Rubicon vs anything else.

I have been wheeling literally as long as I have been driving. I have less time in Jeeps but have learned a lot in a short amount of time. The number one question on whether this is a good move or not is do you actually wheel the vehicle or at least reasonably sure you want to?

I do and do it a LOT. I want a vehicle capable of going anywhere any other street legal and driveable vehicle can go. I started with a TJ sport and was going to build the snot out of it. After doing the math, I realized that buying a newer Rubicon would cost me less than just getting the sport up to the base Rubi. I cannot emphasize enough how important lockers are for almost any type of wheeling you might do. While you can add lockers to a sport if you are going to lift it and put bigger tires on it you will want larger axles. Well, the Rubis come with Dana 44s which should work well up to 37s at least. Oh, if you are going with bigger tires you will probably want to regear a sport if you have the standard gear ratio. The Rubis come with 4:10s and as important it has a 4-1 transfer case so no need to regear for offroad. (You may or may not need to for highway stuff and towing depending on what you use your truck for.)

In all seriousness, if you want to do stuff like Holy Cross Trail in Colorado or Moab the Rubi is the way to go or at least to start the build.

Granted, I am still putting a lot more money over MSRP to make the thing a serious off road machine but having a Rubicon means I can spend that money on fun stuff and not just the basics.

IF your sole reason is Rubicons may maintain their value better and are going to use it as a daily commuter and take it to the beach once a year it is NOT worth the money. Your truck is already capable so only get the Rubi if you need above and beyond capable.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
The tax credit in Texas is basically 6.25% discount off the new car tax based on the amount given for your trade. So, if you are given 30k for your trade your credit would be $1,875. Obviously the advantage of doing the trade sooner is the trade value is higher. The tax credit would not apply if you sold to caravana or sendmethevin.com. An in and out deal can be done with a private buyer if the dealer is willing to do the paperwork. Basically the private buyer buys the vehicle from the dealer at a previously agreed on price and the dealer gives you the tax credit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Broke Owner

Broke Owner

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Chocolate Brownie Quality Inspector
Thank you all for your opinions,

It was exactly what I hope to have when I open this treat, fresh set of eyes on what I was thinking. There is some great Pro's and Con's listed here but ultimately it was down to the numbers and availability of what I wanted.

The dealership sold the Rubicon that morning, they didn't have another one like it for the same price range (had a huge discount since it was used as a demo and it had like 700 miles) They did offer me 3 identically equipped Mojave's but the colors were not to my liking.

Once we started talking numbers the equity that I was hoping to get was there. The GM broke it down to me, The number is slightly inflated due to the limited information available at the moment (since the model is brand new to the market) and also the current used market. So it does make sense to trade in at the moment but only if the dealership is willing to work with you.

After spending a bit of time looking, test driving and comparing I've decided on getting a Mojave but at a later date. I will continue to be aggressive with my note and built on the equity, and also TRY to keep the bigger mods in the back burner.

Again, thanks to everyone that took the time to chime in!

JCFindley

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mojaves are dang nice!

I know none of the dealers I dealt with would budge on MSRP with them because they were so new. Waiting is probably a good idea for those.

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Rubicons and mojaves are awesome and you will def be happy with them and the price difference isnt all that much if you planned on putting lockers and such in your sport... couple things to also consider when it comes to the price difference... not only is it 13k difference in price but you will also have to pay sales tax and property tax on that difference in price plus interest on the difference in the loan and also more insurance

JCFindley

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicons and mojaves are awesome and you will def be happy with them and the price difference isnt all that much if you planned on putting lockers and such in your sport... couple things to also consider when it comes to the price difference... not only is it 13k difference in price but you will also have to pay sales tax and property tax on that difference in price plus interest on the difference in the loan and also more insurance
No property tax on vehicles in Texas so there is that.

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
In kansas... we get boned on our taxes... 9.3% sales tax where i live and im not sure what the property tax rate is but i think i had to pay around 600 or 700 on property taxes... and we have to pay property taxes yearly to get our tags...
Sponsored