POS Jeep. Check your floor drain plug!

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Everyone told me not to get a Jeep because they are overpriced junk. 2500 +/- miles on it. Did all the appropriate break in when I got it. I baby it in general and have only commuted back and forth to work with it and ran normal errands so far.

Was leaving work yesterday and the beat up chevy next to me sounded like crap. At the next light it still sounded like crap but the chevy wasn't next to me anymore. F'n JT sounds like it's having some real problems. Like a grinding/rubbing noise tied to engine speed and also wheel speed some how but also sounds like the AC fan going crazy. Turn off the AC, radio, etc. Still getting a horrendous noise. I'm still driving home, erratically now because I'm trying to figure out where the noise is coming from and if it's tied to anything. Open the windows expecting it to sound like the truck is going to explode but can't hear the sound. Check the top that it's latched down, open and close the front two doors. Sounds like it's coming from the glove box area so I have that open now as well. Figure I'm screwed so now I'm doing all that while also trying to record it on video to post up here if I can't figure it out.

Get to my neighborhood (10 min from work) where it's quiet and start messing with stuff while driving and still can't figure out what is going on. Stop at the house to drop off my stuff and let the wife know I'm going to be outside/driving around. Turn it off and the interior lights come on. Grab my stuff to take inside and...

The damn floor drain plug is sitting on top of the passenger floor mat.

Not a single thing wrong with the JT but I sure was second guessing my purchase and trying to figure out how to explain to my wife the brand new expensive ass truck was F'd.

If you're getting lots of strange noise, check your floor drain plug.
Sponsored

Sponsored

OP
OP
MonkeySkunks

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Canā€™t see how the floor plug could let in that much noise
It's enough noise to be very concerning when you have all the windows closed. General exterior/traffic ambient noise + tire/road noise + drive train noise + engine noise + wind noise. It's louder than the AC fan on full blast but it's all tied to the speed of the engine and tires which makes it scary.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
If you're getting lots of strange noise, check your floor drain plug.
šŸ˜‚ Been there, done that! My kids somehow knock it out with the 42 lb backpacks they have to lug to school.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I had this exact issue. Floor drain plug being out means a different sound on the inside. Once I realized what it was I put it back in and never mentioned it to anyone thinking I was the only one. Thanks for making me feel better! šŸ˜

Sponsored