Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
...which is why I asked :)
Yup. It's a catchy situation for auto makers - an option costs xx. It involves parts and programming. But what's the cost of spec'ing 6 or 8 different wiring harnesses vs. 3 or 4..........?
Do they include the wiring, just leave off the handles and programming? And then people see what's going on and never order the $400 option because it can be added later for $200?
There's a lot of study that goes into it. Marketing, psychology, what type of person buys that vehicle, what's the demand for that option and so on.
The sort that buys a Grand Cherokee would likely never even think of adding it later. But Wranglers and Gladiators? Those customers are different. They'll swap some major parts.

Years ago it was still a mix of is the wiring included, or not?
Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. The optional clock in the dash wiring was included but the optional tach wiring was not. Optional rear window defrost was not included, optional rear wiper was a totally distinct harness and not included.

Copper wire costs, but then so does packaging and tracking part numbers. Their bean counters must be working over-time this past year!
Sponsored

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
Hey Benny...soooooooo you're saying the kit I ordered from you guys (handles, caps, and wiring) a while ago might be too much because my 2021 JT Sport S may already have the wiring? Which then I ordered redundant wiring?
Hi Matt,

Since this part supersedence just occurred I doubt there are any production sold vehicles out there already with the max. option harness's.

-Benny

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
Thanks!!!
After re-reading the posts above I should have asked you what option you were referring to and what options you currently have.

- If you do not have passive entry then no, Neither the wiring for passive entry or BSM will be present.

Sorry for any confusion.

- Benny

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
so has the ability to add prox locks become easier or blind spot adding easier or both?

also does a Tazer make jscan redundant?

Sponsored

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
After re-reading the posts above I should have asked you what option you were referring to and what options you currently have.

- If you do not have passive entry then no, Neither the wiring for passive entry or BSM will be present.

Sorry for any confusion.

- Benny
I bought:
Genuine Mopar Passive Entry KitParts DepartmentPSVENTRYJTBSM

...I miss it from my '18 Cherokee Trailhawk

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
so has the ability to add prox locks become easier or blind spot adding easier or both?

also does a Tazer make jscan redundant?
I know people are using jscan to add the proximity locks setting. I assume tazer can do that as well.
BSM is a different animal - it's more than mirrors from what I'm told. The dealer said the tail lights are involved in BSM. The thing ignores traffic approaching from ahead but warns you instantly when it's within so many feet to the rear and approaching - that would almost certainly have to involve the tail lights as well. (one reason they stick out back there)
Maybe his description of that was incorrect...........

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Yup. It's a catchy situation for auto makers - an option costs xx. It involves parts and programming. But what's the cost of spec'ing 6 or 8 different wiring harnesses vs. 3 or 4..........?
Do they include the wiring, just leave off the handles and programming? And then people see what's going on and never order the $400 option because it can be added later for $200?
There's a lot of study that goes into it. Marketing, psychology, what type of person buys that vehicle, what's the demand for that option and so on.
The sort that buys a Grand Cherokee would likely never even think of adding it later. But Wranglers and Gladiators? Those customers are different. They'll swap some major parts.

Years ago it was still a mix of is the wiring included, or not?
Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. The optional clock in the dash wiring was included but the optional tach wiring was not. Optional rear window defrost was not included, optional rear wiper was a totally distinct harness and not included.

Copper wire costs, but then so does packaging and tracking part numbers. Their bean counters must be working over-time this past year!
LOL! I had a VW back in the 80’s that had intermittent wipers as an option... but the trick was they put a plastic tab in the wiper stalk that blocked the intermittent wiper function. Just had to remove the plastic tab and intermittent wipers function was activated for free!

CarajoCoño

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Occupation
Military
LOL! I had a VW back in the 80’s that had intermittent wipers as an option... but the trick was they put a plastic tab in the wiper stalk that blocked the intermittent wiper function. Just had to remove the plastic tab and intermittent wipers function was activated for free!
Ahhh.. the good old days

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD

Sponsored

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny
So now figuring out how to take the connection from the passenger side to the tailgate Handel...

1603465850465.png

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
So now figuring out how to take the connection from the passenger side to the tailgate Handel...
Passenger side wire colors are green/orange and green/violet in the same location in the connector. Interesting project, keep us posted!

Greg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 1603465850465
And you will trigger it, how? No magnet or sensor or switch back there.

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny
Anyone know the part number for the tailgate handle?
Sponsored