Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Reactor111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Installed the handle/button and driver door harness into sons 21 Gladiator 80th Anniversary model. Used the Tazer to turn on proximity locks and everything worked as designed. Thanks to the forum folks for the information.
Sponsored

five0.4tluv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi JTR and '17 JKU
All done on both doors. Best upgrade ever. No issues at all with the window bolts.

AllMoparParts.com

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT's!
I have my kit and was going to tackle this today or tomorrow is there a quick way to check if my harness already has the plug for the proximity handle? Ie just installing the new handle.
Hi Kevin,

see the attached pinout to check

-Benny

JT_JL_passive_entry_connector_check.jpg

Sponsored

Unkiebunk045

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Medical Sales
just installed mine last night—what a bear it was; i didn’t have the window bolt issues, however, couldn’t figure out how to pull the inner door panel off; took me a while to figure it out to get my hand behind there to get the old wire unplugged and the new one in. Also my brand new taser came deactivated which didn’t help with the ease of it.

couple of notes for those yet to do this. when you get the wire through the inner door panel to be able to plug into the door lock and the new handle, keep in mind there are some clips to hold it in place towards the rear of the vehicle—these are really important in keeping the wire out of the way of the window.

for those wondering if only one handle will work, it will—my kit (benny fixing right away) accidentally came with only one of the end caps so i couldn’t do full install, but my drivers door is installed and everything programmed—everything works as it should with lock/unlock.

Unkiebunk045

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Medical Sales
I guess we’re at the point where we’re talking past each other, and mixing in other behaviors of the system. To clarify, this can only be proved or disproved if you currently only have one passive entry handle installed.
The only thing I’m curious about is this specific scenario:
- you are sitting inside the vehicle with all doors closed and unlocked
- the engine is not running
- you open the driver door
- you press the power door lock switch on the inside of the driver door panel
- you exit the vehicle and shut the door
When you shut the door, does the vehicle honk the horn quickly three time and unlock the doors?
Or, do the doors remain locked?
If the doors automatically unlock, then this is incorrect behavior, and the fobik safe feature went into failsafe mode because of the fault in the RF Hub.
If the doors remain locked, then this is the normal behavior of the fobik safe feature, and that feature does not care about the fault stored in the RF Hub pertaining to the missing door handle switch.
If you have both handles installed correctly, there’s no reason for any testing, because everything you do will be normal operating behavior.

Due to me not having two of the prox handle end caps i’ve done my full install but only my drivers door has prox entry working; my passenger door on the handle and wire harness, however, with it missing the end cap it only works like a regular handle.

I just tested the scenario above and the car stays locked; the car will also stay locked if it’s running and i use the button in the outside on the drivers door handle.

there are also no faults according to my taser.

I hope this helps

sblaine

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys - Red
Occupation
Security Alarms
Benny—can you provide the part numbers I would need to only do the driver side? All I can find on your site is the kit for both doors. Thanks!
I ordered my drivers side only through AllMoparParts (Benny) just recently.
Part NumberPart Name
68299333AFFront Door Wiring
68307269ACExterior Door Handle, Right
68307272ADDoor Handle Cap, Right

Rupicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2013 JKU Moab
Occupation
VP of Finance
On Friday afternoon (Jan 19) I placed my order for just the driver side parts. I got notification today that they’re already planning to be here this Friday (Jan 26). Quick turnaround. Just finished setting up my automatic windows and now I get to install the proximity system. Amazing what you can accomplish in 10 days of quarantine!!!

Sponsored

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I ordered my drivers side only through AllMoparParts (Benny) just recently.
Part NumberPart Name
68299333AFFront Door Wiring
68307269ACExterior Door Handle, Right
68307272ADDoor Handle Cap, Right
Thank you!!

Sleighman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Retired LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I did this install today and after watching the you tube video a few times before my parts arrived it was super easy. Driver side took 30min and passenger side 15 min. I am thankful for this forum and the collective we have here.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
I did this install today and after watching the you tube video a few times before my parts arrived it was super easy. Driver side took 30min and passenger side 15 min. I am thankful for this forum and the collective we have here.
Could you post a link to that video? Sounds like a good video. Apologies if it’s already been posted...

thebk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2021 Gladiator
Occupation
IT
So I'm a bit confused here. 2021 Gladiator Willys with power locks, pins are there on the connector. Ordered the kit. Have gone through most of it on the driver's side, but when connecting the harness for the lock, the connector is different. Old one is an 8-pin, new one is a 4-pin. What am I missing here? Thanks!
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) connectors
Sponsored

Last edited: