Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
i think this has to do with the locking from the inside. You will notice that without any of the proximity kit install and without the vehicle system being reprogrammed, you cannot lock the doors from inside the vehicle while the vehicle is running with the doors open.
Vehicle off: doors will unlock and lock with doors opened or closed.
vehicle running: doors will lock and unlock with door closed. **** doors will only unlock with door open. It will not lock.
I’m currently testing this theroy while sitting in my gladiator. Just like if you put the vehicle in drive with brake still applied, open the door and the vehicle will lock it set up and require you to shift in to park. You will have to place in park, close door then shift back into drive to get the safety feature to go away. Also put your vehicle in drive and let off the brake, allow the truck to start rolling and the open the door. The vehicle with automatically apply brakes and you will have to do previous stated actions to start moving again. Your dash will also prompt you how to persons such actions
Here’s the scenario I was referring to:
In a normal, fully functional passive entry system (and non passive entry system, for that matter), you can park the vehicle, shut it off, open the driver door, press the lock button on the inside driver door switch while still sitting inside the vehicle, get out of the vehicle, shut the driver door, and the doors will remain locked. That would be normal behavior.
What I’m curious might happen if there is a fault stored in the RF Hub pertaining to the passive entry system is that in the exact same scenario as above, except:
When you exit the vehicle and close the driver door, will the doors remain locked, or will the vehicle honk three times and unlock the doors. I do know that if there is a passive antenna fault stored in the RF Hub, it will default to failsafe, and unlock the doors. This is because the RF Hub can’t discern if the fob traveled from inside the vehicle to outside. I don’t know if the same behavior would happen if there is a missing door handle switch fault, though. Other than that, there’s no issue with not wanting to install the passenger side passive entry handle. Besides, not many people that I know of lock their doors first from the inside door lock switch before getting out of the vehicle.
Sponsored

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator, 2016 wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1949 CJ3A
Occupation
Firefighter
In a normal, fully functional passive entry system (and non passive entry system, for that matter), you can park the vehicle, shut it off, open the driver door, press the lock button on the inside driver door switch while still sitting inside the vehicle, get out of the vehicle, shut the driver door, and the doors will remain locked. That would be normal behavior.
What I’m curious might happen if there is a fault stored in the RF Hub pertaining to the passive entry system is that in the exact same scenario as above, except:
When you exit the vehicle and close the driver door, will the doors remain locked, or will the vehicle honk three times and unlock the doors. I do know that if there is a passive antenna fault stored in the RF Hub, it will default to failsafe, and unlock the doors. This is because the RF Hub can’t discern if the fob traveled from inside the vehicle to outside. I don’t know if the same behavior would happen if there is a missing door handle switch fault, though. Other than that, there’s no issue with not wanting to install the passenger side passive entry handle. Besides, not many people that I know of lock their doors first from the inside door lock switch before getting out of the vehicle.
Idk. If it senses the keys inside the vehicle it will it lock. My Honda sis the same and beeped three times. Maybe that’s why every passive entry vehicle I’ve seen has the additional button on the handle. I think its not a fault, it’s just the vehicle won’t lock if it senses the key within the vehicle and keep has purposely made that you cannot lock the vehicle with any of the doors open to prevent a lockout. Just tested the Honda and it does exactly the same. If your able to trick the system and lock the doors, if it senses the key inside it will unlock. You can do this but getting out manually lock the door by pushing the knob over to lock and then shut the door with the key still inside. The car will beep three times and unlock itself notifying you that your key is still inside. Worst comes to worst you could always install the passenger side passive entry if your worried about faults within the system since that is what it was originally designed to do. PS I threw the key in the driver seat, locked all the doors and it’s beeped three time abs unlocked itself. This was with the vehicle off. If the vehicle is on with any, passive or it or passive halfway installed it will disable the door lock button, key in or out of the vehicle. When you close the door with vehicle running it can then be locked with button or key fob.

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
I updated the end of my previous reply. I think your issue occurs with people out of habit and or getting out of the vehicle while running with a passenger still inside. Both my Honda and gladiator can only be locked from the key fob or outside button while running. Sorry been tracking to and from the jeep in freezing rain to test your issue.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I updated the end of my previous reply. I think your issue occurs with people out of habit and or getting out of the vehicle while running with a passenger still inside. Both my Honda and gladiator can only be locked from the key fob or outside button while running. Sorry been tracking to and from the jeep in freezing rain to test your issue.
I guess we’re at the point where we’re talking past each other, and mixing in other behaviors of the system. To clarify, this can only be proved or disproved if you currently only have one passive entry handle installed.
The only thing I’m curious about is this specific scenario:
- you are sitting inside the vehicle with all doors closed and unlocked
- the engine is not running
- you open the driver door
- you press the power door lock switch on the inside of the driver door panel
- you exit the vehicle and shut the door
When you shut the door, does the vehicle honk the horn quickly three time and unlock the doors?
Or, do the doors remain locked?
If the doors automatically unlock, then this is incorrect behavior, and the fobik safe feature went into failsafe mode because of the fault in the RF Hub.
If the doors remain locked, then this is the normal behavior of the fobik safe feature, and that feature does not care about the fault stored in the RF Hub pertaining to the missing door handle switch.
If you have both handles installed correctly, there’s no reason for any testing, because everything you do will be normal operating behavior.

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
are your going to eventually install the other side at a later, more convenient date?

Sponsored

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
When you shut the door, does the vehicle honk the horn quickly three time and unlock the doors?
nope. No honking and the doors remain locked.

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
If the vehicle is on and the doors are open the inside door lock button will not work regardless until you close all doors it will then allow the lock bottom to work. If the vehicle is off***** the inside lock button will work. If you exist the the vehicle with key fob in had then shut the door it will remain locked. The opposite**** if you exist the vehicle and press the inside lock button while leaving the key fob INSIDE the vehicle the shut the door, it will beep three time and automatically unlock all doors to notify you that the key fob is inside the vehicle.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And this is with only one proximity handle installed, correct? If so, that is exactly how the fobik safe feature normally works, and the fault in the RF Hub for the missing proximity handles switch has zero effect on anything else, other than the fact that the fault exists.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the vehicle is on and the doors are open the inside door lock button will not work regardless until you close all doors it will then allow the lock bottom to work. If the vehicle is off***** the inside lock button will work. If you exist the the vehicle with key fob in had then shut the door it will remain locked. The opposite**** if you exist the vehicle and press the inside lock button while leaving the key fob INSIDE the vehicle the shut the door, it will beep three time and automatically unlock all doors to notify you that the key fob is inside the vehicle.
Understood. All of these behaviors you note are normal, whether or not you have passive entry, and whether you have one proximity handle installed or not. It was just that one specific circumstance that I outlined above that I was curious about with only one handle installed, which wasn’t included in your tests, but 4S50 was able to verify.

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Firefighter
And this is with only one proximity handle installed, correct? If so, that is exactly how the fobik safe feature normally works, and the fault in the RF Hub for the missing proximity handles switch has zero effect on anything else, other than the fact that the fault exists.
Jesus Christ, how about taking some time and learn about sensors and how they work. The proximity sensor within the door handle senses changes in density of the atmosphere around it. When the changes in density occurs, it signals the computer to activate a predetermined action. Inorder for the action to happen to unlock the jeep must sense signal from a near RFID which would be the key fob, also a change in atmosphere density around the proximity door handle. When those presenters are met, then the preprogrammed action will occur. The door handle has nothing to do with the key fob or receives any single from it. So if you decide you install only one door handle it will work as the same if you installed both. I have already told you that I tested this with only the driver side proximity door handle installed. If your going to put out a theory about how something should work or shouldn’t try adding in the statistics, and probability to the outcome. Then test your theory since I assume you have all the required equipment to do so and apply it. If your concerned about the performance of a product why not try to install it the way it was engineered to be work. You already stated that there is few people and I can only count you and another concerned about this possible issue, then test it yourself. Or save the time and effort of everyone else willing to provide your answer and install both handles/harnesses. I have taken the time to run though ever situation you described. I have almost complete uninstalled my entire passenger side proximity system cause out of curiosity and willing to assist to give you an answer. We are not working in separate directions, you are just either not understanding what I’m telling you or doubtful of what I’m presenting to you. At the end of the day if your unsatisfied with the results that someone else has taken the time to provide you then use your own equipment and test it, or send it back, or just install both sides like it was intended to. I mean I’m basically tenderizing a dead horse here.

Sponsored

Punknhead

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Jesus Christ, how about taking some time and learn about sensors and how they work. The proximity sensor within the door handle senses changes in density of the atmosphere around it. When the changes in density occurs, it signals the computer to activate a predetermined action. Inorder for the action to happen to unlock the jeep must sense signal from a near RFID which would be the key fob, also a change in atmosphere density around the proximity door handle. When those presenters are met, then the preprogrammed action will occur. The door handle has nothing to do with the key fob or receives any single from it. So if you decide you install only one door handle it will work as the same if you installed both. I have already told you that I tested this with only the driver side proximity door handle installed. If your going to put out a theory about how something should work or shouldn’t try adding in the statistics, and probability to the outcome. Then test your theory since I assume you have all the required equipment to do so and apply it. If your concerned about the performance of a product why not try to install it the way it was engineered to be work. You already stated that there is few people and I can only count you and another concerned about this possible issue, then test it yourself. Or save the time and effort of everyone else willing to provide your answer and install both handles/harnesses. I have taken the time to run though ever situation you described. I have almost complete uninstalled my entire passenger side proximity system cause out of curiosity and willing to assist to give you an answer. We are not working in separate directions, you are just either not understanding what I’m telling you or doubtful of what I’m presenting to you. At the end of the day if your unsatisfied with the results that someone else has taken the time to provide you then use your own equipment and test it, or send it back, or just install both sides like it was intended to. I mean I’m basically tenderizing a dead horse here.
I truly appreciate the help!

five0.4tluv

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gobi JTR and '17 JKU
I have my kit and was going to tackle this today or tomorrow is there a quick way to check if my harness already has the plug for the proximity handle? Ie just installing the new handle.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Anyone thought about LineX or similar on the handles since they’re out anyway?

sblaine

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys - Red
Occupation
Security Alarms
I have my kit and was going to tackle this today or tomorrow is there a quick way to check if my harness already has the plug for the proximity handle? Ie just installing the new handle.
I just pulled the inside door panel off and looked at the part # of the harness. I gave that part number to a member on here, AllMoparParts.com It was not the right one, so I ordered what I needed from him.

Only other way would be to dig deeper into the door and pull the panel behind that panel and see if the harness is there.

sblaine

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys - Red
Occupation
Security Alarms
I was just successful in completing this on my Sport S. I only wanted/needed the drivers side. I ordered the door handle, cap, and wiring harness from AllMoparParts.com. I installed the handle and cap, pulled the door panel, replaced the wiring harness, and buttoned everything back up.

Only thing that I had to redo was where the harness plugs into the door handle. Make sure that the wire that goes to this is NOT in the way of the window when it rolls down. I secured mine with a zip tie and some tape to make sure.

I used my JSCAN to enable all of the Passive Entry.
Works perfectly and is now my favorite little mod that I have done so far.
I would highly recommend this if you don't have it and are thinking about it.
Sponsored