First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Toyota LandCruiser
Occupation
Engineer
I took another picture for you to see the exact placement clockwise of mine. I was sitting in the rear seat on the drivers side when taking the picture just looking up. The JL Audio letters are closest to the foam insert. I hope that helps with the correct orientation.
That's awesome, and should help! Thank you so much!!
Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
I am going out now to install the KFC-X3C's in the dash...
Keep in mind RSK and I had problems with using crossovers/bass blockers on our dash speakers. I'm getting a couple quick clicks or pops from the KFC-X3C's when the stereo powers up and down. I installed the speakers first without the crossovers and did not have the problem. After I installed the crossovers, the clicking/popping started. Not sure if it's a result of the amp powering on/off or not.

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Keep in mind RSK and I had problems with using crossovers/bass blockers on our dash speakers. I'm getting a couple quick clicks or pops from the KFC-X3C's when the stereo powers up and down. I installed the speakers first without the crossovers and did not have the problem. After I installed the crossovers, the clicking/popping started. Not sure if it's a result of the amp powering on/off or not.
So you think, for the dash speakers, no crossovers and no bass blockers? SB speakers may be different, but I'm not doing those yet.

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
So you think, for the dash speakers, no crossovers and no bass blockers? SB speakers may be different, but I'm not doing those yet.
Yes, definitely no crossovers or bass blockers. Been reading on the Wrangler form that others have had same problem. Wish someone knew the cause. People are saying don't hook them up.

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, definitely no crossovers or bass blockers. Been reading on the Wrangler form that others have had same problem. Wish someone knew the cause. People are saying don't hook them up.
Perfect! I'll go Commando ;) Thanks!!

Sponsored

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I took another picture for you to see the exact placement clockwise of mine. I was sitting in the rear seat on the drivers side when taking the picture just looking up. The JL Audio letters are closest to the foam insert. I hope that helps with the correct orientation.
Since you have both the JL audio and the Kenwoods, how much different do they sound, because I now have a second pair of the Kenwoods I'm considering for the SB if I can't make the JL's fit to my satisfaction.

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Since you have both the JL audio and the Kenwoods, how much different do they sound, because I now have a second pair of the Kenwoods I'm considering for the SB if I can't make the JL's fit to my satisfaction.
I don’t have Kenwood’s. My swaps are as followings:
Infinity 3022 3.5” top dash
Focal RCX-165 6.5” dash knees
JL Audio C2-350x 3.5” in the SB

Everything else remains stock 8.4 premium at this time.

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t have Kenwood’s. My swaps are as followings:
Infinity 3022 3.5” top dash
Focal RCX-165 6.5” dash knees
JL Audio C2-350x 3.5” in the SB

Everything else remains stock 8.4 premium at this time.
That's right. I forgot you had Infinitys in the front. Similar question then, what do you see as far as sound difference between the Infinitys and JL's?

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That's right. I forgot you had Infinitys in the front. Similar question then, what do you see as far as sound difference between the Infinitys and JL's?
For me Infinity has nice highs like a tweeter, JL’s have nice mids. Everyone hears the music/sound differently because that’s how our ears are wired. Some spend $$$$ and others spend $. What I like for speakers, you might not like and vice versa. I’d suggest trying a couple different brands with good reviews in a price range you are comfortable with and try them out. Do your own comparisons and pick the best for you personally. Just make sure there is a good return policy and not a high amount for restocking or return shipping in case you don’t like them.

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
For me Infinity has nice highs like a tweeter, JL’s have nice mids. Everyone hears the music/sound differently because that’s how our ears are wired. Some spend $$$$ and others spend $. What I like for speakers, you might not like and vice versa. I’d suggest trying a couple different brands with good reviews in a price range you are comfortable with and try them out. Do your own comparisons and pick the best for you personally. Just make sure there is a good return policy and not a high amount for restocking or return shipping in case you don’t like them.
Ok, my kid and I played with speakers today and here's what we found. We put one Kenwood KFC-X3C in the dash and compared it to the stock (upgraded Alpine) speaker and found the Kenwood sounded "cleaner" and had better highs than the stock speaker which to me sounds a little muddy. We then tried one of the JL Audio C2-350X speakers in the dash (not sure it would actually fit, but looked like it might if you tweaked the tabs a little) opposite the Kenwood. The Kenwood had better highs, and like you said, we felt the JL Audio had nicer mids. Wanting better highs, we decided on the Kenwoods up from in the dash, and we installed them commando style as midironman suggested - thanks midironman, commando seems to work great! We then moved to the rear to try the JL's again in the soundbar. I pulled out the 3 1/2" speaker and measured the opening at 3.024" in diameter. I then measured the speaker frame and got 3.125. There is no way I can make that JL speaker fit in my soundbar, not flush anyway. I'm not sure if my SB is different than yours, of if there has been a change to the JL speaker frame, but on my vehicle those parts will not coexist :crying: We ended up puting another set of Kenwoods in the soundbar as the Apline speakers in the SB seemed to be the same ones they put in the dash and we liked the Kenwoods a bit more than the stock dash speakers. I'm not sure if we lost some of the mids in the SB, but it sounds pretty good to the kid and I both, especially after tweaking the EQ on my phone instead of the minimal EQ adjustments on the Gladiator. We're done with speaker changeouts for now.
Below are some measurement pics I took of the hole and the JL speaker frame.

Thanks much to you and midironman for all your help!!

IMG_6861.jpg

IMG_6866r.jpg

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Sounds like I should get the base system. Add the insane audio head unit and have a stereo shop build a system for a little less money

Reactions: RSK

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

[/QUOTE]
I’m leaning more and more toward the 6.5” SSV Works mod for the soundbar. I was planning to do this conversion when the SSV adapters came out earlier this year, but was skeptical if the money spent would be a real game changer for the improvement. From what I’m reading in favorable reviews and other blogs, 6.5” is probably the common sense way to go and next step. I’m estimating another $250-500 (based on spker selection) just for this 6.5” speaker/adapter SB mod. The actual conversion of the SB does not seem too difficult and would be fun compared the the JP-1014 dash disassembly swap.

It’s really about how much more spend $$ to improve the sound somewhat for SB back fill. I’ll do that or upgrade the subwoofer from 8” to 10” or maybe both. :clap: That’s the fun of having a Jeep I guess, continuous improvement. Probably a fall project for me. Think I’m going to just enjoy the top & doors off for a few months and tackle later in the year if still not satisfied.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Jeff, thanks for all those details. I think for me, it is a clear choice to do the JLs in the front and Kenwood in the bar. My two complaints with the existing speakers is lack of good high-midrange vocals, and muddy bass with excessive mid-bass. Sounds like this upgrade will fix the first issue, and it's pretty cheap.

Sounds like I should get the base system. Add the insane audio head unit and have a stereo shop build a system for a little less money
Maybe. The 8.4" head unit is really really nice. That's the first time ever that I've said that about a factory head unit. I really like the total integration with the vehicle. The rest of the system is absolute trash and a total joke.

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I’m leaning more and more toward the 6.5” SSV Works mod for the soundbar. I was planning to do this conversion when the SSV adapters came out earlier this year, but was skeptical if the money spent would be a real game changer for the improvement. From what I’m reading in favorable reviews and other blogs, 6.5” is probably the common sense way to go and next step. I’m estimating another $250-500 (based on spker selection) just for this 6.5” speaker/adapter SB mod. The actual conversion of the SB does not seem too difficult and would be fun compared the the JP-1014 dash disassembly swap.

It’s really about how much more spend $$ to improve the sound somewhat for SB back fill. I’ll do that or upgrade the subwoofer from 8” to 10” or maybe both. :clap: That’s the fun of having a Jeep I guess, continuous improvement. Probably a fall project for me. Think I’m going to just enjoy the top & doors off for a few months and tackle later in the year if still not satisfied.
[/QUOTE]

Your much braver than I am. The sight of your dash all torn apart was frightening - I won't be doing that! lol

Enjoy the summer and thanks again!

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2011 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (sold), 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sport S (sold), 1997 TJ Sport (sold), 1981 Grand Wagonner lifted with w/ 35" BFG (sold), 1973 Cadillac Eldorado, 2012 Moomba Mojo
Occupation
Urban Planner
Ordered my JT a couple weeks ago, after owning a '97 Wrangler, '07 Wrangler unlimited sport, '11 Wrangler unlimited Sahara with stock head unit but Alpine upgrades.

I also took a JT with the 8.4" and Alpine premium system on an extension "stereo" test drive before making my factory order.

I upgraded the speakers on the '97 first, and got some improvement, then I upgraded the head unit and say a marked improvement.

Didn't touch the '07 (it was a lease)

For the '11, I only upgraded the head unit to a mid-range Kenwood from a stereo store, rather than the ones you get at a big box. I think this was the largest improvement over any other previous upgrades. The speakers will only sound as clean as the signal they are getting, and although I thought the stock head unit in the '11 was really good, I was shocked at how much better the same speakers sounded with a new head unit.

I woudn't tell anyone not to upgrade speakers, but I would choose a new head unit over speakers any time now, especially if you already have the Alpine Premium system.
Sponsored