First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
It's a little weird the Gladiator has been stagnant since it's debut. While the Wrangler has gotten the V8, 4XE, and Recon package. Either something is in the works next year or Jeep is giving up on the Gladiator which wouldn't make sense. At the very least you would add a Recon package to the Gladiator.
Sponsored

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
It's a little weird the Gladiator has been stagnant since it's debut. While the Wrangler has gotten the V8, 4XE, and Recon package. Either something is in the works next year or Jeep is giving up on the Gladiator which wouldn't make sense. At the very least you would add a Recon package to the Gladiator.
Except that the late-model 2020s Jeep released the Mojave and then in 2021 we got the 3.0-liter V-6 turbo-diesel with 260 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
In the ranger, I called it the tiptronic tap dance. I was constantly having to lock out upper gears or throw the shifter into sport mode to force a downshift to prevent lugging. The truck liked being in 8th gear around town at 35mph which I wasn't big on.

I'd love to see a turbo I6 in the gladiator. Maybe I'm spoiler with 3 out of my last 4 cars having turbos, but the 3.6 gas is what I'd call "absolutely gutless". Lol.

Sponsored

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
The 3.6 has juice but it likes to rev up. Drove Geo metros and Hyundais back before they got good and that for me is the baseline for gutless. Sure the modern Ford trucks get up and go better I won’t disagree. End of the day there are supercharger options for the 3.6 that put it more in line with the Ford v6. Most would choose to put that money into other parts.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I guess you haven't driven a Tacoma lately. You have no idea what gutless means.
Well the Taco is getting a new powertrain with a turbo and ten speed, so perhaps Jeep will get going on putting the T6 in the JT and not just the Ram.

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
In the ranger, I called it the tiptronic tap dance. I was constantly having to lock out upper gears or throw the shifter into sport mode to force a downshift to prevent lugging. The truck liked being in 8th gear around town at 35mph which I wasn't big on.

I'd love to see a turbo I6 in the gladiator. Maybe I'm spoiler with 3 out of my last 4 cars having turbos, but the 3.6 gas is what I'd call "absolutely gutless". Lol.
I like the 3.6 in the JK/U and the JL/U but its underpowered for the gladiator. Even a stock rubicon has to triple downshift just to pass on interstates. Now the ecodiesel... that's the complete opposite

jeepinmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I like the 3.6 in the JK/U and the JL/U but its underpowered for the gladiator. Even a stock rubicon has to triple downshift just to pass on interstates. Now the ecodiesel... that's the complete opposite
Ive had a Rubi since May 2019 and have towed many trailers and it pulls just fine and has plenty of power. I mean it has as much power as old V8's. I think people here just don't like the fact its a higher revving engine to make power and associate that as being powerless compared to what we have been conditioned too with V8's and older engines that had the power down low. The fact it downshifts a lot shouldn't be viewed as negative as we have a ton of gears for it to go through with modern 8 and 10 speed transmissions. Would I love a Hemi in it? Absolutely but its not needed and frankly I don't want to pay for the fuel. I really hope the new 3.0 T6 engine makes it in though and im pretty sure thats where Jeep is going to have smaller displacement engines that meet more world emission regulations like the rest of the industry is doing.
Sponsored