First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I think it's a Sport or Sport S with Max Tow. That's the only way you see that picture on the build site. The other tow packages just show an atv being pulled. The press picture that shows that truck has asterisks and caveats about being properly equipped, so they've covered themselves.

Screenshot_20210610-122816_Chrome.jpg
Body color roof and wheels. Sport or Sport S don't have a body-color roof option (at least in 2021MY), and the wheels don't look like the 17" uglies, but rather the 18" Overland wheels.
Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Body color roof and wheels. Sport or Sport S don't have a body-color roof option (at least in 2021MY), and the wheels don't look like the 17" uglies, but rather the 18" Overland wheels.
They might have "made up" a trim for the photo then. But the only place on the build site that shows this combo is when you build a max tow. I'm sure that's intentional.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
They might have "made up" a trim for the photo then. But the only place on the build site that shows this combo is when you build a max tow. I'm sure that's intentional.
Right. Not the first time a MFG puts a "pre-production version" in the marketing collateral.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Not sure what sensor ya'll are talking about. I have a max tow , no LSD, No lockers and I tow or am on trails all the time when taking it out for exercising. However, just went in with 21,000 miles on and was told my rear diff fluid was shot and needed replaced. I passed since I'm having the 4.10's removed & 5.13 gearing installed in the next week or 2. But Diff oil needs changed at 21k miles? Hmmm, sketchy. and was told Transfer case oil was already breaking down and would need changed soon. Off road travel trailer is less than 4k lbs.
Would be interested in how they determined this (gear lube/transfer case needed changing). Going soley on miles is not accurate. Going to somewhere like Blackstone labs would be credible

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Doesnt matter what vehicle is pictured, it is under Max Tow package with 4.10

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Not sure what sensor ya'll are talking about. I have a max tow , no LSD, No lockers and I tow or am on trails all the time when taking it out for exercising. However, just went in with 21,000 miles on and was told my rear diff fluid was shot and needed replaced. I passed since I'm having the 4.10's removed & 5.13 gearing installed in the next week or 2. But Diff oil needs changed at 21k miles? Hmmm, sketchy. and was told Transfer case oil was already breaking down and would need changed soon. Off road travel trailer is less than 4k lbs.
I don't trust dealers

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Doesnt matter what vehicle is pictured, it is under Max Tow package with 4.10
That picture and setup was used elsewhere in Jeep's marketing of the JT.

Oh... here it is in the 2021 brochure. It's identified as an Overland model. Also in Jeep CA 2020 brochure. The US 2020 brochure calls out the Sport with Max Tow, but the picture is of an Overland.

And that trailer has a 900# tongue weight. The Sport/S w/ MaxTow has a limit of 765#. The point stands that Jeep's marketing department is portraying a false "legal" capability.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
And that's why the Max Tow trim has the higher payload and Tow ratings.
Max Tow has incremental advantages but in the end you're still pulling with the same motor - a 3.6L V6 with only 260 lb ft of torque.

That's a small number for towing 3,500 lb, and a really small number for towing 7,000.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
In fairness, I do not tow with mine. Well, I did 2x. A small U-haul to get back across country loaded with 4 bikes and 2 suitcases.

And, I bought a 6x10 cargo to move 200 mls from home.

My locker light issue started 18k later and rolling an RTT and 2 bikes.

The dealership finally looked at the electrical connection and saw oil in sensor; mine axle just got replaced...

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift

Generally speaking, the first few 1k miles are the worst for gears and stuff. That is the time period contact surfaces are bedding in and polishing the contact areas. So it is likely that is when you will have the dirtyiest oils. You oil should stabilize after first change. Oddly enough the owners manual has much higher time frame till flush, so maybe who ever was looking at your stuff was looking for a little extra work, who knows, when you pop the diffs open report back how bad the oil is.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
That picture and setup was used elsewhere in Jeep's marketing of the JT.

Oh... here it is in the 2021 brochure. It's identified as an Overland model. Also in Jeep CA 2020 brochure. The US 2020 brochure calls out the Sport with Max Tow, but the picture is of an Overland.

And that trailer has a 900# tongue weight. The Sport/S w/ MaxTow has a limit of 765#. The point stands that Jeep's marketing department is portraying a false "legal" capability.
Ok. But what does that have to do with the rear lockers? It's impossible to get rear lockers or Max Tow on Overlands and Overlands are not having these issues bc they have no lockers.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Generally speaking, the first few 1k miles are the worst for gears and stuff. That is the time period contact surfaces are bedding in and polishing the contact areas. So it is likely that is when you will have the dirtyiest oils. You oil should stabilize after first change. Oddly enough the owners manual has much higher time frame till flush, so maybe who ever was looking at your stuff was looking for a little extra work, who knows, when you pop the diffs open report back how bad the oil is.
I was kind of thinking this as well, especially since I use my JT for work and play hard most of the time. Then when the driveline shop suggested I change the diff oil/lube after 500 to 1000 easy miles before stress testing it, It all kind of made sense.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
My 2021 Mojave with rear locker had the same problem pop up at 91 miles with no towing, there is another thread you need to find, but basically towing was thought to be it but many without towing had it also, and several had axles changed twice,it was determined it is an electrical issue with the sensor that confirms it is locked, it is not a potted product and any metal from manufacturing to wear can get in it and cause the problem, eventually the locker service light will come on all the time and locker is not avalible. I bought the Tazer sensor elminator as I did not want my whole rear axle changed because there is no sensors avalible. Works fine have towed, have locked rear ,everything on dash lights up as it should including the offroad view, and locker works great. Only thing is if the locker were to fail, my dash would still show it locked, probably after I had already felt it not locked. Your towing too much with a short wheelbase JL, call Tazer next day air it, or reconsider your trip. I might take mine in sometime when sensors are avalible, or even do it myself if possible, good reason to put fancy diff. cover on. Sorry you probably left already.....Jack

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Aside from an annoying light, what's the issue with doing your trip? t's a bad sensor.
Sponsored