Rear main seal leak?

hazzardsky

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon, 17 JK Recon
In my specific case, dealership is saying they found the leak coming from a bad seal in the charge pipe, are are replacing the entire hot side charge pipe.

My concern now is why there is enough oil in the charge pipes to be leaking that far down the motor
Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
In my specific case, dealership is saying they found the leak coming from a bad seal in the charge pipe, are are replacing the entire hot side charge pipe.

My concern now is why there is enough oil in the charge pipes to be leaking that far down the motor
That sounds like leaking turbo, internally. Do these have a PCV? Could also be excessive oil return as well.

tbaker

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 silver Jeep gladiator rubicon
Got mine back and have had no leaks since(knock on wood). Tech told me it was because something was shoved up against it. The week previously I did have to get pulled out after being pretty badly high centered so that would kinda check out. Makes me want to put skid plates as my next modification.
Mall crawl and that want happen 😂

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Brand new 2022 Gladiator, 400 miles and have a rear main seal oil leak. 1st Gen EcoDiesel in my 2014 Grand Cherokee had the cam gear slip engine destruction issue. Required a new engine at 6K miles.

So I'm 0 for 2 on EcoDiesels. I guess I am a glutton for punishment!

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Brand new 2022 Gladiator, 400 miles and have a rear main seal oil leak. 1st Gen EcoDiesel in my 2014 Grand Cherokee had the cam gear slip engine destruction issue. Required a new engine at 6K miles.

So I'm 0 for 2 on EcoDiesels. I guess I am a glutton for punishment!
Pic and how did you find out the location? Makes me want to check my 22.

Sponsored

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Here is my leak. It's very slow... that's how much oil is showing on the left after three days of driving after I wiped it down. It's never gotten to the point it has "dripped" yet. But I don't think these things ever get better on their own! My diesel only has 700 miles on it.

Jeep Gladiator Rear main seal leak? 20220713_135810

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Take the black plate off and have a good look. Then spray some cleaner up there and wipe down. Then keep an eye on it.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
So just to update after I wiped off the oil a few thousand miles ago from the pic two posts above. ZERO oil! So looks like it may have just been some assembly oil/lube. I was kinda leaning that way as when I felt it, it didn't feel or smell like engine oil.

Gzus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I just bought a 2020 Launch Edition with 44K miles on it in April 2023 and it's been a nightmare so far.
After months of back-and-forth with my local service shop, I just had the transmission completely replaced (under warranty) and noticed a fluid leak after I got my Gladiator back. I took it back to the shop and they said it was coming from the upper oil pan, so they kept it over the weekend while they dropped the pan and replaced the gasket. The leak continued after I got it back, so I took it in again and they said there was a crack in the dipstick tube, so they replaced that. I got it back again and found the leak persisting, so I took it in a 3rd time for the same issue. This time, they claim the rear main seal needs to be replaced, so they either need to pull the engine or the transmission to replace it.
Jeep Gladiator Rear main seal leak? IMG_8833

While I LOVE my Gladiator, I hate that my first experiences have been nothing but problems. I contacted @JeepCares for the transmission issues, but it feels like they're just an outsourced call center in India, and not an actual FCA entity.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I just bought a 2020 Launch Edition with 44K miles on it in April 2023 and it's been a nightmare so far.
After months of back-and-forth with my local service shop, I just had the transmission completely replaced (under warranty) and noticed a fluid leak after I got my Gladiator back. I took it back to the shop and they said it was coming from the upper oil pan, so they kept it over the weekend while they dropped the pan and replaced the gasket. The leak continued after I got it back, so I took it in again and they said there was a crack in the dipstick tube, so they replaced that. I got it back again and found the leak persisting, so I took it in a 3rd time for the same issue. This time, they claim the rear main seal needs to be replaced, so they either need to pull the engine or the transmission to replace it.
Jeep Gladiator Rear main seal leak? IMG_8833

While I LOVE my Gladiator, I hate that my first experiences have been nothing but problems. I contacted @JeepCares for the transmission issues, but it feels like they're just an outsourced call center in India, and not an actual FCA entity.
Thank you for tagging us. If you need some support with this, please send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
So...Mine had the same seeping oil at that location. I noticed it around 10k? while doing the lift....It somehow went away and hasnt leaked anything since and I am at 40k.

Super odd but it never dripped it was simply "wet".
Sponsored