Sponsored

Rear Spring popping out of its perch at full droop-Clayton 3.5inch Overland Plus with 35inch tires

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I like the lift , hope I can get this issue addressed because I do plan on doing some wheeling in the desert.

20210301_132530.jpg
It looks great! Can you take a picture of the rear shock and measure how much of the shaft is exposed? The up travel available should be about 40% of the overall shock travel. Maybe we can diagnose something if we know that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GrayBeard59

GrayBeard59

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S max tow
Occupation
Semi-Retired; Realtor
It looks great! Can you take a picture of the rear shock and measure how much of the shaft is exposed? The up travel available should be about 40% of the overall shock travel. Maybe we can diagnose something if we know that.
I'll try and do that tomorrow in between other duties I have going on
More to come

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Here is a picture of the Springs and Shocks fully extended during my installation. Great articulation for wheeling ! Note: this is before the new control arms were installed. As you can see, my shocks (32.30") allow full extension of the new brake lines and I had to loosen the anti-lock sensor line. To make sure it did not articulate too much, I shortened the rear sway bar length by about 1/2 inch to 1 inch or so. You can play with that to make sure your springs stay seated..

Jeep Gladiator Rear Spring popping out of its perch at full droop-Clayton 3.5inch Overland Plus with 35inch tires af1B9t

Last edited:

dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
Occupation
Sales Manager
Very interesting..

I have a JTR on a 3.5" Overland plus kit as well and something similar happened to me recently as well. I brought my truck in to get an oil change, and they offered me a tire rotation (I'm on 38's), so I said sure why not. Didn't think much of it at the time. I took a trip out to see family the next day (around 1000 miles round trip) and I noticed that in certain instances that I would hear a creaking/dragging sound (almost like brakes dragging on rotors) when I would be at slow speed and hit a bump or incline. Chalked it up to the weather getting really cold, figuring metal contracting and making noises in suspension. Finally back home and had decent weather and daylight, I checked around under the truck for anything loose or out of place. All jam nuts were good on all the control arms and the track bars, all bolts still torqued up. Got onto my creeper for further inspection and I saw my spring was out of socket, see below.

I went ahead put her up on jack stands right then and dropped the axle down and reset BOTH sides, the driver side was still centered, but the isolator nipple wasn't in place anymore and the spring wasn't clocked into it's place on the isolator either. The passenger side is what you see here.

Jeep Gladiator Rear Spring popping out of its perch at full droop-Clayton 3.5inch Overland Plus with 35inch tires Sprin

It was then I remembered about the tire rotation and figured they must have put it on a 2 post and let everything hang down causing the spring to pop out of scoket, and they likely never noticed. So, like mentioned, maybe the shocks are a little to long or maybe I need to cut a little more off of my sway bar links.

J_0ne

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I just installed the same kit last week and noticed that
the Falcons 3.3 Extend longer than the springs. I advise against using the sway bar links to limit travel. A viable option could be installing limiting straps.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not in my lane but I'm with J_one on limiting straps last things I'd want to be working as limiting straps are something dealing with brakes of swaybar and shocks. It's not fun snapping brake lines off or swaybar end link been there on both and have killed a few sets of shocks in both directions to short and long. Back in "Rancho 9000 hay days"

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I second (or 3rd) the recommendation for a limiting factor other than the sway bar links. I ripped one of mine off using links which were too short. The factory frame mounts are weak...

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Sounds stupid but do you have your rear bump stops installed, and installed correctly? Instead of the shock being too long it could be the shock is travelling too far because the stops on the opposite side aren't... stopping.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Here is a picture of the Springs and Shocks fully extended during my installation. Great articulation for wheeling ! Note: this is before the new control arms were installed. As you can see, my shocks (32.30") allow full extension of the new brake lines and I had to loosen the anti-lock sensor line. To make sure it did not articulate too much, I shortened the rear sway bar length by about 1/2 inch to 1 inch or so. You can play with that to make sure your springs stay seated..

Jeep Gladiator Rear Spring popping out of its perch at full droop-Clayton 3.5inch Overland Plus with 35inch tires Sprin
Ok well I asked a question about your bump stops but I now see they're in. I would check your control arms are set properly so the axle is back far enough for the bumps to impact the stops instead of missing them.

You may also need added bump stop pads. If your shocks are extending beyond the reach of the springs you may need this on the opposite side to stop the droop from being too much.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-gladiator-rear-bump-stop-extensions-2020-jt

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Ok well I asked a question about your bump stops but I now see they're in. I would check your control arms are set properly so the axle is back far enough for the bumps to impact the stops instead of missing them.

You may also need added bump stop pads. If your shocks are extending beyond the reach of the springs you may need this on the opposite side to stop the droop from being too much.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-gladiator-rear-bump-stop-extensions-2020-jt
If the shocks were inboard of the springs, I might agree with this. Because they are outboard, the spring length does not need to increase beyond normal with increased compression on the opposite side.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If anybody needs any help or needs to send us some pictures to have us help diagnose any issues, definitely don't hesitate to do so! The extreme droop caused by 2 post lifts sometimes causes the coils to unseat so anytime your vehicle is going to be hanging from a 2 post lift definitely make sure or have your installer make sure that the coils are seated properly while lowering it back down. We also highly recommend using limiting straps as a safety precaution if you're vehicle is going to be up on a 2 post lift which will also help to take some of the stress off of the shocks themselves in this scenario. Again though if anybody wants to send us any pictures of their kit installed just to make sure everything was installed correctly we are always happy to take a look and help out!

OP
OP
GrayBeard59

GrayBeard59

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S max tow
Occupation
Semi-Retired; Realtor
Thank you all for your input. It looks like limiting straps are my go to.
Cheers!

Acano363

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Very interesting..

I have a JTR on a 3.5" Overland plus kit as well and something similar happened to me recently as well. I brought my truck in to get an oil change, and they offered me a tire rotation (I'm on 38's), so I said sure why not. Didn't think much of it at the time. I took a trip out to see family the next day (around 1000 miles round trip) and I noticed that in certain instances that I would hear a creaking/dragging sound (almost like brakes dragging on rotors) when I would be at slow speed and hit a bump or incline. Chalked it up to the weather getting really cold, figuring metal contracting and making noises in suspension. Finally back home and had decent weather and daylight, I checked around under the truck for anything loose or out of place. All jam nuts were good on all the control arms and the track bars, all bolts still torqued up. Got onto my creeper for further inspection and I saw my spring was out of socket, see below.

I went ahead put her up on jack stands right then and dropped the axle down and reset BOTH sides, the driver side was still centered, but the isolator nipple wasn't in place anymore and the spring wasn't clocked into it's place on the isolator either. The passenger side is what you see here.

Spring.jpg

It was then I remembered about the tire rotation and figured they must have put it on a 2 post and let everything hang down causing the spring to pop out of scoket, and they likely never noticed. So, like mentioned, maybe the shocks are a little to long or maybe I need to cut a little more off of my sway bar links.
This happened to me last week as well. 3.5 Overland Plus In my case it was after an oil change and tire rotation at the dealer is when I started noticing noises. I went back this week for a unrelated warranty issue, I told them to take a look and reseat them. Now I'm searching for a permanent fix.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This happened to me last week as well. 3.5 Overland Plus In my case it was after an oil change and tire rotation at the dealer is when I started noticing noises. I went back this week for a unrelated warranty issue, I told them to take a look and reseat them. Now I'm searching for a permanent fix.
Can you guys both do me a favor and let me know what shocks you're running, and also if you can measure your rear sway bar end links from center to center and let me know what length they're at? We'd greatly appreciate it! We are also looking into making our own limiting straps pretty soon since this seems like a common issue for JT's with 3.5"s of lift. Thanks!

J_0ne

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Can you guys both do me a favor and let me know what shocks you're running, and also if you can measure your rear sway bar end links from center to center and let me know what length they're at? We'd greatly appreciate it! We are also looking into making our own limiting straps pretty soon since this seems like a common issue for JT's with 3.5"s of lift. Thanks!
I am running the Falcon adjustable piggi bags. When you finished developing the straps please let me know so I can order a pair.
Sponsored