Sponsored

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
This recall states all manuals since 2018(Wrangler/Gladiator).

One issue is resale value. And I think resale value even effects autos as well after this.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I dont really care but i think the mods will stop. Shit, if you put bigger tires they might say that caused the flywheel to catch on fire, no?
Lol, yeah, but they would have a hard time with that with a known defect and the fact they sell lifts and openly talked about the Rubicon being able to handle 35's without a lift. Hell, the Mopar catalog is full of Wranglers and Gladiators with 35's on them. They'd lose big time on that. But maybe with 38's or 40's, sure. 37's? I doubt it. Too common.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
I planned on never selling
Lol, yeah, but they would have a hard time with that with a known defect and the fact they sell lifts and openly talked about the Rubicon being able to handle 35's without a lift. Hell, the Mopar catalog is full of Wranglers and Gladiators with 35's on them. They'd lose big time on that. But maybe with 38's or 40's, sure. 37's? I doubt it. Too common.
But bigger tires mean more pressure on the clutch and flywheel, no? Wtf, i planned on keeping this jt until the wheels fell off, not when they burned offšŸ¤”šŸ¤”šŸ¤”

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do they make snorkels for going through fires? Might have to swap it for the one i have now.

Sponsored

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For my fellow manual transmission owners, burning rubber smell is the clutch and burnt toast smell is the flywheelšŸ˜ƒ

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The recall affects another estimated 4,314 vehicles in Canada. Notices will be sent out starting in mid-March for a free-of-charge software change reducing the power allocated to the clutch when the vehicle is launched improperly in higher gears.

What does that mean? Launched improperly in higher gears? Does that mean downshift from 6th to like 3rd gear? How do you launch improperly in higher gears??????

tjbrown23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If this is the biggest recall I have with my gladiator I will be thrilled. I'm suspicious about how they plan to resolve it, but sounds more like a limp mode to me. I traded in a 2017 Nissan Titan Pro4x bought new for my Gladiator. In the 3 years I owned it, it had a massive power steering leak, replaced an entire engine, transmission, fuel tank, and was due for another transmission. Zero of these issues were recalls but service bulletins that I researched and presented to the dealership myself. Known issues that were hidden from the customers. Just be thankful jeep is looking out for us and will resolve the issue.

tjbrown23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
The recall affects another estimated 4,314 vehicles in Canada. Notices will be sent out starting in mid-March for a free-of-charge software change reducing the power allocated to the clutch when the vehicle is launched improperly in higher gears.

What does that mean? Launched improperly in higher gears? Does that mean downshift from 6th to like 3rd gear? How do you launch improperly in higher gears??????
My guess is shifting from 3rd to 4th or 4-5 while still on the throttle. The jeep won't launch but you'll dump the clutch at over 4k rpms.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, theres no power shifting out of 4th????? Barley shift to 5th on the highway unless its downhill lol.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette

Is this from FCA or the Canadian version of bureaucrats? I'd wait to hear directly from FCA.

One possibility we did not consider. It might not be hard to drill and tap a hole somewhere in the bell housing and stick a temp sensor in there and connect it to the PCM, which would be updated with the new program.

But I still think there is some way they have found that they can detect a temperature increase, and it doesn't have to have a sensor by the clutch. If that sucker gets to even 600 degrees, other sensors nearby could detect it. Maybe in the engine or in the transmission itself.

Here's again why a total detune doesn't work. You would have to take away an exceptionally large amount of power/torque to prevent the heat from building up when the problem is there. Otherwise it would not work. The friction would still be there enough to heat it up. 220 or even 200 ft lbs of torque would be enough to do it, I would imagine. That's about a 30% reduction. You'd feel that and it would be significant. And you've just pissed off 99% of the manual owners who have not had and will not have the problem show up in the first place.

I think the one NHTSA document had to get it more accurately when they said high temps would trigger the detune. But again, we gotta wait for FCA. Not NHTSA or the Canadian Mounties or whoever oversees that up there.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link

Thatā€™s a new one for me. I mean I gotta do a couple 6 to 4 then on to 3 cuz the torque just donā€™t exist to maintain me some speed on grade. Granted I got a roof top tent, but like my 5sp crosstrek, I rest confident that while slow, it shouldnā€™t have the power to grenade its driveline anytime soon.

Iā€™ve seen some knuckleheads doing terrible burnouts in corvettes and billowing smoke for ages before it gives up and grenades itself and thatā€™s like twice the power.

But the tower of power pentastar can grenade its trans from...260ft lbs of torque and a sloppy shift? Thatā€™s pretty poor.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this from FCA or the Canadian version of bureaucrats? I'd wait to hear directly from FCA.

One possibility we did not consider. It might not be hard to drill and tap a hole somewhere in the bell housing and stick a temp sensor in there and connect it to the PCM, which would be updated with the new program.

But I still think there is some way they have found that they can detect a temperature increase, and it doesn't have to have a sensor by the clutch. If that sucker gets to even 600 degrees, other sensors nearby could detect it. Maybe in the engine or in the transmission itself.

Here's again why a total detune doesn't work. You would have to take away an exceptionally large amount of power/torque to prevent the heat from building up when the problem is there. Otherwise it would not work. The friction would still be there enough to heat it up. 220 or even 200 ft lbs of torque would be enough to do it, I would imagine. That's about a 30% reduction. You'd feel that and it would be significant. And you've just pissed off 99% of the manual owners who have not had and will not have the problem show up in the first place.

I think the one NHTSA document had to get it more accurately when they said high temps would trigger the detune. But again, we gotta wait for FCA. Not NHTSA or the Canadian Mounties or whoever oversees that up there.
Hmmm since were on the topic of manual transmissions. Let me ask this in this forum since im sure everyone has a manual. When i shift into neutral from 3rd or 4th to coast downhill or on a flat road the rpm will go up after releasing the clutch to around 2.5k rpm and come down to 1k rpm. Doesnt do it all the time, just ocasionally. Is this normal?? Again, it happens when shifting into neutral and coasting around 30 to 40mph. Obviously i dont have my foot on the gas when shifting into neutral.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
There should not be any temp increase in the trans to get that hot and require some sensor to watch it. The recall isnā€™t because someone was doing neutral drops all day. Its overheating from friction in normal driving. Thereā€™s no way for things to get that hot. The whole point of the manual clutch is that itā€™s a locked system. Unless you are manually engaging the clutch or something causing slippage and heat in normal operation.
The heat is caused by slip, which yes, is a product of the torque, but these are N/A v6 engines. Itā€™s not the hellcat, so they shouldnā€™t be getting hot in the first place.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm since were on the topic of manual transmissions. Let me ask this in this forum since im sure everyone has a manual. When i shift into neutral from 3rd or 4th to coast downhill or on a flat road the rpm will go up after releasing the clutch to around 2.5k rpm and come down to 1k rpm. Doesnt do it all the time, just ocasionally. Is this normal?? Again, it happens when shifting into neutral and coasting around 30 to 40mph. Obviously i dont have my foot on the gas when shifting into neutral.
By this i mean, why would the rpms go up if im in neutral? it should go down and stay down around 1k rpm right? But sometimes it goes down to 1k and then back up to 2.5k rpm and back down when i dont have my foot on the gas pedal. I read somewhere some cars do that automatically to help shit to the next gear. Is that true?
Sponsored