First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Reading quite a few threads on sound installs and most seem over my head, I'm a suspension/off-road guy, never learned the sound side because I never cared. I'm not an audio-head by any means, joked that I've been tone-deaf my whole life.

That being said, made the mistake of buying the wire a JL Rubicon 8.4" Screen and I can tell the sound is definitely different/better than my Sport S 7" Screen. I don't care about it being loud, I rarely take mine above 15 now with the top on, and 20-25 with it off so I'm not maxing out my volume as it, but I can absolutely tell a difference with her having a sub in the back, music just sounds "fuller".

Looking for recommendations for a "Stage 1" upgrade, plug and play speakers that will improve the sound. I'm fine pulling dash/replacing speakers, cutting plastic if need be. Under and behind my rear seat is pretty well packed, so I don't have room for a subwoofer there, maybe under the front seats but I'm not sold on that. if there's a way to make the speakers in the soundbar deeper (don't even know what size the factory speakers are) to compensate for not having a sub I'd prefer that.

Are the upgrade "Kits" that the companies on youtube install the way to go, or is there better options out there?
Sponsored

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
I have the 8.4" with the subwoofer, but I thought the sound was pretty "muddy", no matter how I adjusted the equalizer. For simple plug & play, I started with Kenwood Excelon KFC-X3C on top of the dash and soundbar. It defintely improved the highs, but it still wasn't quite that good.

I made more changes along the way. What I have now are the following:

Terra Acoustic dash speakers. Worth the wait and price.
Jeep Gladiator Recommendations for "Stage 1" sound upgrade 20230630_184248

Alpine R-S65.2 (6 1/2 inch) knee panel speakers, with Metra housings. The tweeter doesn't do anything- only the mid/low frequencies come through the speaker wires. Stock one on right.
Jeep Gladiator Recommendations for "Stage 1" sound upgrade 20220820_113341

Alpine SPV-65-JLT soundbar speakers. Expensive, but I really like them.
Jeep Gladiator Recommendations for "Stage 1" sound upgrade 20210115_114134

DIY subwoofer housing with a Kicker Comp RT10 10 inch woofer and Kicker 46CXA8001 800 watt amp. I keep it turned down most of the time. Very punchy, and I can control it separately from the head unit's equalizer.
Jeep Gladiator Recommendations for "Stage 1" sound upgrade 20210226_152248

I'm very happy now. There are so many more great options today. Good luck.

MSFTMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Occupation
Firefighter
I’ll be watching this thread as well. I went to the thread on the JL forum but was waaay over my head:CWL:

OP
OP

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
would a 7" non-premium jeep have knee panel speakers, or just sound bar and dash speakers?

Sponsored

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
All JTs (and JLs) should have the same dash, knee panel, and soundbar speakers. Only difference with the "premium" sound system is the 8.4" head unit, amplifier, and subwoofer. Not sure if there is anything else (other than price).

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I’d also plan on adding an amp if you want to maximize your gains from a speaker upgrade.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
All JTs (and JLs) should have the same dash, knee panel, and soundbar speakers. Only difference with the "premium" sound system is the 8.4" head unit, amplifier, and subwoofer. Not sure if there is anything else (other than price).
The forum had this debate a few years ago. The premium sound package does actually have different speakers. Comparing them side by side the Alpine speakers are better quality and heavier magnets. I still don't believe they sound any better than the regular ones. The 8.4 unit pushes more sound, so the quality is better.

To the OP- replacing the dash speakers is the most cost efficient upgrade you can do first. It will make a difference.

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
I have a Rubicon with the premium Alpine system. Only thing I've done so far is the Terra Acoustics front soundstage speakers. Even with everything else being 100% stock, that one change made a huge difference in the volume levels that you mentioned.

Sponsored

ColoradoCantu

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Network Engineer
Took your advice and ordered them on the spot. Ive owned Kicker speakers in the past and was thinking about a Rockford fosgate amp but after upgrading the dash speakers and the two 3in speakers in the sound bar not sure I need to after i replace the remaining OEM speakers. Its only been a day but very impressed with the improvement. I dont need my neighbors to hear me coming, those days are long past so these are perfect, hard to beat this upgrade for $100.

OP
OP

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
Took your advice and ordered them on the spot. Ive owned Kicker speakers in the past and was thinking about a Rockford fosgate amp but after upgrading the dash speakers and the two 3in speakers in the sound bar not sure I need to after i replace the remaining OEM speakers. Its only been a day but very impressed with the improvement. I dont need my neighbors to hear me coming, those days are long past so these are perfect, hard to beat this upgrade for $100.
Simple, easy, inexpensive, plug and play upgrade. Replace the dash and sound bar speakers with these.
I think this would be a good start. So order 4, they are the same size in the dash and in the soundbar? are they plug and play or do you have to change the wire ends?

ColoradoCantu

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Network Engineer
I think this would be a good start. So order 4, they are the same size in the dash and in the soundbar? are they plug and play or do you have to change the wire ends?
yep, thats what i ordered, so i was able to plug the speaker wire leads into the OEM plug and carefully place them in but they can be pulled out so im going to use the crimp connectors to be safe but for now want to test them out for a bit before i cut the oem plug and commit. So far so good, havent really cranked them up yet though, its been freezing last couple of days but they are way louder, had to adjust my equalizer which was cranked all the way up with the old speakers.
Sponsored