Sponsored

Tom C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude Diesel
I thought I read that the $7500 tax credit on them got cut in half to $3750, unless you're leasing.
Tom C said:
I don’t think a 4xe gladiator will sell well in Texas. The dealership I’m using has at least 20 Wrangler 4xe’s on the lot. Just 2 normal Wranglers. The sales manager said that they can’t sell the 4xe’s even with heavy discounts (he tried unsuccessfully to lease me one at $9K below sticker and $7,500 In federal tax credits). He also said that for 2024, the 4xe Wranglers are going to be special order only as Jeep won’t be shipping them any..

I did say that he tried to lease me one. But for a tax credit, you'd have to owe $7,500 in income taxes in order to use the tax credit, correct? If you owe less than $7,500, then you can only get your tax owed down to zero. I'd have to stop paying income taxes in mid September in order to use the tax credit. But I could be wrong. There are people that know the tax codes better than me.

This is WAY too complicated.
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/credits-for-new-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2023-or-after

whysoserious

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2006 Rubicon
Occupation
Professional former employee
I bet you thought I was making up a story. ;)
Oh, no, not at all. I just wanted to see how close the dealership was to see if it was worth the drive. Wife thinking about a JLU.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Tom C said:
I don’t think a 4xe gladiator will sell well in Texas. The dealership I’m using has at least 20 Wrangler 4xe’s on the lot. Just 2 normal Wranglers. The sales manager said that they can’t sell the 4xe’s even with heavy discounts (he tried unsuccessfully to lease me one at $9K below sticker and $7,500 In federal tax credits). He also said that for 2024, the 4xe Wranglers are going to be special order only as Jeep won’t be shipping them any..

I did say that he tried to lease me one. But for a tax credit, you'd have to owe $7,500 in income taxes in order to use the tax credit, correct? If you owe less than $7,500, then you can only get your tax owed down to zero. I'd have to stop paying income taxes in mid September in order to use the tax credit. But I could be wrong. There are people that know the tax codes better than me.
Owing doesn't mean owing in February, owing means you paid 7500 in taxes through out the year. Then when you do your taxes you'd get a check for your refund plus 7500 or if you owe you'd take what you owe our of the 7500 and get a check for that.

With the lease the leasing company is getting the 7500 so they take it off the price right upfront and apply it to the owed capital so it lowers your payment to them by 7500 over the lease term. No income or tax docs required.

Tom C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude Diesel
Owing doesn't mean owing in February, owing means you paid 7500 in taxes through out the year. Then when you do your taxes you'd get a check for your refund plus 7500 or if you owe you'd take what you owe our of the 7500 and get a check for that.

With the lease the leasing company is getting the 7500 so they take it off the price right upfront and apply it to the owed capital so it lowers your payment to them by 7500 over the lease term. No income or tax docs required.
Good to know. I've never leased a vehicle, so I had no clue as how this works.

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux

Don't forget about the income limit on the EV tax credit. With the prices of these rigs in mid to high trim levels (especially the 4xEs), being conservative, the individuals and couples who can easily afford the payments will be close or over the cap.

For leasing, the fine print of the leasing contracts matters. If a high money factor is being baked into the lease terms, the EV credit is likely a wash.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Don't forget about the income limit on the EV tax credit. With the prices of these rigs in mid to high trim levels (especially the 4xEs), being conservative, the individuals and couples who can easily afford the payments will be close or over the cap.

For leasing, the fine print of the leasing contracts matters. If a high money factor is being baked into the lease terms, the EV credit is likely a wash.
Rarely is the money factor substantially worse than the current interest rate and it's usually negotiable. With the 4xe, for most people, it's currently worth leasing, getting the extra 3750, and then immediately buying it out and converting it to a regular loan if you plan on keeping it.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter

This is WAY too complicated.
https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/credits-for-new-clean-vehicles-purchased-in-2023-or-after
It's not based on what you owe when you file. It's a credit that reduces your income tax expense. It is a nonrefundable credit, but that doesn't mean you won't get a refund if you file with this credit.

For example, if your income tax expense is $20,000 and you qualify for the full $7,500 credit, your income tax expense is reduced to $12,500. Anything you paid in beyond this will be refunded.

If your income tax expense is $7,000, you do not get a $7,500 credit and a $500 refund.

Koryluke

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Occupation
Photographer
The sales manager also said that Jeep may reallocate their 4xe’s to California. It’s not like they are a small mom and pop operation as they have 24 dealerships in 6 states.
4xe are everywhere here so thats probably a good idea. Lots of “city jeep” people drive them and I think its great. Daily highway commuters getting the mpg my jeeep gets is ridiculous.

OP
OP
Thumbszilla

Thumbszilla

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV
4xe are everywhere here so thats probably a good idea. Lots of “city jeep” people drive them and I think its great. Daily highway commuters getting the mpg my jeeep gets is ridiculous.
I'm currently getting 42 MPG with my Wrangler 4xe and it's powerful and zippy as all get out... MUCH better than the V6 my previous Wrangler had. Based on my usage I estimate that I only need to fill the tank up every 1500ish miles. The 4xe powertrain is going to ROCK in the Gladiator.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver