Rock Rails Thread

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Anyone have concerns about rails that mount to the body and the pinch welds? I think I had read in this forum to avoid rails that mount to both the body and the frame. Is the pinch weld considered the body or the frame? Thanks!
i think its generally accepted that body mounted, (pinch weld, or the 3 body mount bolts) aren't as tough as frame mounted. if you're going to take a big hit, would you rather it be on the body or the frame?

Of course either is better than the bare rocker area.
Sponsored

Jimmoiv

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 jeep Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
the gladiator part looks nice, but i don't like its coverage. the rugged ridge ones cover that lip and more of the sill.
Can attest that the rugged ridge ones give good coverage. If you’ve got the OEM slush mats the sill guard covers right up to them.

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I agree with you 100 percent. That’s why I got the Rugged Rudge guards. They were the only ones that gave full coverage.

the gladiator part looks nice, but i don't like its coverage. the rugged ridge ones cover that lip and more of the sill.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are y’all talking about rock rails or sill guards now?
the last 3 posts before yours were about sill guards, a slight deviation from rock rails. =)
ct6ozc1.jpg

Woodchuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 AEV Brute DoubleCab
JT-10.jpg

WTF

I can't believe they didn't redesign them for the JT
I just got off the phone with Rock Slide and asked them about the extension. They said they did that intentionally with a future intended purpose in mind. Said it should be unveiled this year at SEMA and that the "new addition" will be available as an upgrade to those who already purchased the JT steps.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I just got off the phone with Rock Slide and asked them about the extension. They said they did that intentionally with a future intended purpose in mind. Said it should be unveiled this year at SEMA and that the "new addition" will be available as an upgrade to those who already purchased the JT steps.
Hmmm I wonder if they'll offer an integrated bed step? Now I'm intrigued.

Woodchuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 AEV Brute DoubleCab
Sounded like that was exactly what they are doing. He even mentioned something about two steps. Might have been referring to the large door step and a single bed step and an independent motor for the bed step. He was pretty vague but sounded really excited about it. Also said they hoped to have it out within a few months of SEMA.

Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
85AF8A2C-65BB-48A0-A7E4-340BC174CCC0.jpeg
Hey @Jeepers! if you are interested in a bed step then you should check out the AMP Research step. I have an AMP step on order. I also believe that Bestop may be working on a bed step. Adding @BestopTeam for their comments.

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
UPDATE - Rockslide Engineering Steps Wrinkling Tread Tape
So the tread tape on the back of my steps was wrinkling up since the first time I deployed them. Talked to the rep that was at All4Fun in Colorado. He thought it was bad tread tape and sent me two new rolls. Well Wednesday I finally got to cleaning the driver's side to install the new tape. After cleaning, I noticed a definite worn spot on the step and after further investigation (and searching the forum) discovered there is a hard stop piece that the step is to rest against when stowed. This is what is causing the tape to wrinkle. The pix below show the spot and my fix of leaving that space with no tread tape. I emailed pix to the rep at Rockslide Engineering and he asked for video of the steps being stowed so I sent that to him to. Great, fast,
DriversStepClean.jpg
DriversStpClose.jpg
DriversStepNewTread.jpg
and clear communication from him that he and the engineers want to resolve this as they stand behind a premium product. Waiting to hear what they come up with.

Last edited:

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JK, WK2 TH, other Non-Jeeps.
Nice. A bed step there would be awesome.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
don't take this the wrong way please, i'm not trying to "show you".

I thought somebody had mentioned something about this like 4 months ago, i think when @ralphjjr was posting a bunch on here. We both had similar concerns and they did say then too that some type of new bed step thing. I'll try to find it cuz i thought the info we had then had a bit more detail than what they told you.

EDIT: Found it!
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...gineering-spy-photos.16634/page-3#post-259016

"The extension is for uniformity but also we have a powered bed step (future option) that will fit in that area. It could be months or up to year before that option will be available. It has been patented and was on display two years ago at SEMA"

Woodchuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 AEV Brute DoubleCab
don't take this the wrong way please, i'm not trying to "show you".

I thought somebody had mentioned something about this like 4 months ago, i think when @ralphjjr was posting a bunch on here. We both had similar concerns and they did say then too that some type of new bed step thing. I'll try to find it cuz i thought the info we had then had a bit more detail than what they told you.

EDIT: Found it!
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...gineering-spy-photos.16634/page-3#post-259016

"The extension is for uniformity but also we have a powered bed step (future option) that will fit in that area. It could be months or up to year before that option will be available. It has been patented and was on display two years ago at SEMA"
Not even sure what I would take the wrong way.

I've had a few AEV vehicles over the years and am used to companies showing or talking about new products that either take years to actually hit the market or never come to fruition. I'll be surprised Rock Slide Engineering doesn't show something at SEMA this year, but not surprised if it never makes it to market. The only reason I contacted them was to find out why they used an extension (which I thought was a lazy solution). After them explaining they had done it for a future improvement, rather than just being lazy, I was once again excited about the product and will be ordering a set very soon.
Sponsored