danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Daniel,
Thanks for the real world experience. You have given enough details about your set up for people to make some comparisons with their own set ups.
What don't you like about chain WDH's? I have never run the solid ones like you have, those are new to me.
(And I have run a lot, some good, some on a wing and a prayer)
The WDH with chains doesn’t provide sway control. Sway control resists the hitch acting as a pivot point when you have cross winds or get passed by a semi. On the chain WDHs you can by a sway control bar but from what I have read it doesn’t do enough.

with my WDH most of the weight of trailer is torquing the rear of the truck up so the weight is even on both axels. All this weight is met on these bars where there is a friction pad. Let me tell.. there is a reason these things are rating 8-10k. When doing turns, you can hear the bars working and it’s loud. It’s doesn’t allow sway.

Key is when towing a trailer that more than half your tow rating you NEED the following:

1) WDH with built in sway control, with friction pads, set up CORRECTLY.
2) a brake controller set up CORRECTLY.
3) don’t drive fast!
Sponsored

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well that is why you see the saying CANT FIX STUPID all the time

also had my steering box fixed, did nothing sways just as bad maybe even a little more.
took few weeks to get the parts, dealer did not want to do it until i showed them the bulletin.

have a great day
scott
that sucks about your steering box, mine is due to be installed this week...fingers crossed!

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
The WDH with chains doesn’t provide sway control. Sway control resists the hitch acting as a pivot point when you have cross winds or get passed by a semi.
This is not entirely true. I have Blue Ox WDH that utilizes chains and does very well controlling the sway. I have towed with a few different WDH setups and by far I like the Blue OX the best because it is dead quiet, does not require any unhooking when turning/backing and takes out nearly all sway even in high crosswinds.

I did a 250 mile round trip with my ~6k 28ft (31 overall) Kodiak over the weekend in the hills of SE PA and had zero issues with sway. The only issues I had was a little bounce on the trailer springs over bumps at highway speeds that was a bit more to my liking and will get resolved with mods to that factory trailer spring setup.

The Gladiator platform can tow a good bit of weight. It is all in how you set it up though.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is not entirely true. I have Blue Ox WDH that utilizes chains and does very well controlling the sway. I have towed with a few different WDH setups and by far I like the Blue OX the best because it is dead quiet, does not require any unhooking when turning/backing and takes out nearly all sway even in high crosswinds.

I did a 250 mile round trip with my ~6k 28ft (31 overall) Kodiak over the weekend in the hills of SE PA and had zero issues with sway. The only issues I had was a little bounce on the trailer springs over bumps at highway speeds that was a bit more to my liking and will get resolved with mods to that factory trailer spring setup.

The Gladiator platform can tow a good bit of weight. It is all in how you set it up though.
please explain how the chains provide sway control. Form my research and the local expert at local big Tex trailer shop the WDHs with chain on support the WD, the chains can swing freely forward and back with little resistance. This is why the more expensive models up friction pads. Also the chain versions typically always have add on sway control.

in all seriousness I’d like to understand how the chains provide sway control? Could you explain? Maybe you have a special model?

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
please explain how the chains provide sway control. Form my research and the local expert at local big Tex trailer shop the WDHs with chain on support the WD, the chains can swing freely forward and back with little resistance. This is why the more expensive models up friction pads. Also the chain versions typically always have add on sway control.

in all seriousness I’d like to understand how the chains provide sway control? Could you explain? Maybe you have a special model?
maybe if your trailer is fish tailing, then the increased tension from the outside chain would prevent it from going as far but otherwise I would agree that it doesn't do much in the conventional sense of sway control unless you have the friction brake add on. All that being said, with the weight distribution bars and design of trailers/trucks these days, I don't know that sway control is even needed. I have only been concerned with trailer sway once and that was with 100km/h cross wind gusts which at that point I was also shitting my pants that the trailer was going to get tipped over so maybe fair to say I wasn't worried about sway then either in the grand scheme of things. lol.

Anyways, all this sway stuff aside and back to the original post, thanks for the info. good write up. I would be curious to see what people with the diesel would say in comparison. also, what altitude were you driving at and what kind of mileage are you getting towing at 65mph? I'm still waiting to see the 4xe details on this gladiator before I pull the trigger but if that doesn't pan out, I would lean toward the diesel. combination of elevation here and long mountain passes are a bit much for my grand cherokee with the v6. While it can do it, listening to it redline for 20-30 mins at a time is unpleasant.

Sponsored

dwl

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Nissan Xterra
@danielspivey is that the dry or full weight of the trailer? What’s the make / model of your RV and sway bar setup?

tanner20

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
@danielspivey

Thanks for sharing your experience! Is that camper a 263BHXL?

I rented a 32' Keystone over the summer weighing about 6,000# and took it on a 500 mile trip through the Texas hill country. Had just finished installing a Curt Spectrum, which worked great. When we got back I started looking at campers and that model Salem is what we want when we're ready to buy.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
@danielspivey OK,

This user posted a screenshot showing the site reported he has over 10,000 towing capacity in his Gladiator Should he blindly believe this when Jeep clearly states otherwise?

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/just-looked-my-truck-up-on-the-mopar-site.35278/post-574886

EDIT: @danielspivey has shown the above was likely a joke posted by another user from below comments.

Here is another user where the site shows he can tow -1 pounds. Should he also blindly believe the Mopar site?

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ver-8000lbs-towing-capacity.32037/post-553008

if Jeep thought the Gladiator was capable of towing more than 7650 pounds in any configuration they would absolutely market that.
That's my thread. I have another one explaining why the max tow capacity is conservative

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe if your trailer is fish tailing, then the increased tension from the outside chain would prevent it from going as far but otherwise I would agree that it doesn't do much in the conventional sense of sway control unless you have the friction brake add on. All that being said, with the weight distribution bars and design of trailers/trucks these days, I don't know that sway control is even needed. I have only been concerned with trailer sway once and that was with 100km/h cross wind gusts which at that point I was also shitting my pants that the trailer was going to get tipped over so maybe fair to say I wasn't worried about sway then either in the grand scheme of things. lol.

Anyways, all this sway stuff aside and back to the original post, thanks for the info. good write up. I would be curious to see what people with the diesel would say in comparison. also, what altitude were you driving at and what kind of mileage are you getting towing at 65mph? I'm still waiting to see the 4xe details on this gladiator before I pull the trigger but if that doesn't pan out, I would lean toward the diesel. combination of elevation here and long mountain passes are a bit much for my grand cherokee with the v6. While it can do it, listening to it redline for 20-30 mins at a time is unpleasant.
i was getting right at 11.5 mpg round trip. To be honest I take it easy and don’t throttle hard. It did rev up a little on the inclines I wouldn’t say there was ever a lack of power.

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@danielspivey is that the dry or full weight of the trailer? What’s the make / model of your RV and sway bar setup?
6078 delivered with full propane tanks.

forest river Salem cruise lite 273qbxl

when I ordered it, it was the only one in stock this side of the country ... I got it from GA and I’m in Va.

Reactions: dwl

Sponsored

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@danielspivey

Thanks for sharing your experience! Is that camper a 263BHXL?

I rented a 32' Keystone over the summer weighing about 6,000# and took it on a 500 mile trip through the Texas hill country. Had just finished installing a Curt Spectrum, which worked great. When we got back I started looking at campers and that model Salem is what we want when we're ready to buy.
Mine is the 273qbxl Salem cruise lite. I LOVE the set up. Having the second bedroom is great while the boys are young!

it would be a very similar towing experience to what you rented.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
A lot of published towing capacity has to do with torque ratings available at the drive wheels and braking capacity of the vehicle. Personally, I like a heavier longer wheel based vehicle for towing so that you don't get pushed around. That is why you see long nosed Pete's and Western's being used for cross country hauling.
As far as WDH's, I have seen them help and hurt. With a WDH, if the trailer goes over, the truck goes with it; it is less likely to go but it does happen. It is a 'big picture' scenario, every detail about the truck, trailer, terrain, speed, weather, all comes in to play. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses are the key. Sounds like Daniel has a good grasp on his set up.
(I have towed race trailers with a 2wd Toyota Hi-Lux, Beechcraft's with an F250, tankers with all sorts of rigs, and pulled double loaded bin wagons up and down hills with pick-ups and tractors.)

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I am towing a large trailer with my Rubicon as well. Mine is 6400lbs loaded. I have the same WDH as you.

We took it up to Truckee this weekend. Went from 160' elevation to 6000' in Truckee. Last trip we took it up to Hope Valley in South Lake Tahoe. That trip was up at 7700' elevation.

Here is my take on towing big with the Gladiator. First I would keep it within specs, I am close to my GCVW but not at or over it. I think it would be reckless to do so.

The truck is very stable while pulling a large load. I keep it at 50-60mph. I have never felt like the trailer was controlling the Gladiator and when wind or a Semi comes by it stays composed. I can feel the push of the wind but it is minimal. The Gladiator brakes without issue. I always feel like I have more than enough braking power under my foot. Obviously the brake controller helps with that. But the Brake controller is not set to 100%. Which, would make me nervous if I had to use all the trailer's braking power. 80% does the job. I would never say I couldn't feel the trailer, its 6400lbs. I can feel it back there but it feels comfortable. I always feel like the truck has control of the trailer.

Gas millage is good. I averaged 11.8mpg this weekend, going from Roseville CA to Truckee and back. I feel like that is not bad for a gas engine towing a large load. But the tank is not big enough for long trips. We want to make a trip to Moab but I am not looking forward to all the gas stops along the way.

Here is where the truck falls short, power. For the most part it does the job just fine. But when I was at 7000' elevation, heading up another 700' to my destination, the grade was 6% and over for 11 miles. The Gladiator sat at 40mph and could not go any faster. And the engine was reving high. It wasn't comfortable and I did not enjoy the engine screaming up the hill. Everywhere else the truck has pulled it well and with plenty of power. But there are areas that out there that will torture the engine and trans, while towing. Transmission temps seem good.

I am going to regear mine for towing. Not so it can tow more, but so it can tow what I am currently towing better. I think it will allow me to use more gears while towing and take some tress of the engine and trans.

I couldn't resist posting a couple pics of our Truckee trip this weekend. The selfie of my daughter and I is at the Squaw Valley. We did a rock climbing expedition to the top. The lake is Independence Lake. It is only accessible by a 5 mile dirt trail. So we got to get the Gladiator dirty. It is fun getting to your destination and having the Gladiator to play with when you get there.

IMG_0646.JPEG

IMG_0787.JPEG

IMG_0789.JPEG

IMG_0793.JPEG

IMG_0824.JPEG

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads